Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomoAlien

Changing game name in ZDoom

I can't see the pic because the filters at my work are blocking it. :/

Guess time - is it the bit that says something like "Doom2: Hell on Earth" in the IWAD choice box and at the top of the screen as the start up information scrolls by? If so, the only way to change that would be to edit the source code and recompile your own executable. That's not something which is advisable for a WAD you intend to distribute because you are tying your WAD to a specific executable and, for such a minor cosmetic change, it isn't worth it.

However, if it's not that, forget I spoke. ;)

I can't read any posts at all from this computer, as all Doomworld page content is blocked except for the "post reply" button, but I'm assuming that Enjay just said something remarkably astute. If that is not in fact the case, ignore this post.

At home now and I see my guess was correct. :)

Oh, yeah, hex editing the exe works too. I used to do that before I knew how to compile my own exe. Source editing makes it easy to also change the colour of that title bar.

[edit] Hang on, the window title bar in your screen shot says r303m. The "m" tells me that this exe is already a modified version. Can you not edit the source code and recompile a new one? You can find the definitions for these in d_main.cpp at around about line 225. [/edit]

[edit2] Hmmm, interesting. Looking at my own copy of the official download of GZdoom, it does indeed report itself as r303m. Strange. My own unmodified build of the source taken straight from the SVN repository is just r303 - no "m". [/edit2]

Creaphis said:

I can't read any posts at all from this computer, as all Doomworld page content is blocked except for the "post reply" button, but I'm assuming that Enjay just said something remarkably astute.

How soon should we expect to see another "I know this isn't a tech support forum" thread?

kristus said:
Maybe with Dehacked?

It does allow that, itself, though it doesn't transfer over to source ports.

Enjay said:
Source editing makes it easy to also change the colour of that title bar.

Now that you mention it, it's using the same colors as in Doom v1.9, red over gray. Earlier versions use other color combinations; v1.2 uses yellow over blue (the id colors back then), for instance.

myk said:

Now that you mention it, it's using the same colors as in Doom v1.9, red over gray. Earlier versions use other color combinations; v1.2 uses yellow over blue (the id colors back then), for instance.

I think there may have been even more colour combinations. I have a recollection of one version having a red background (maybe 1.4 or 1.7a?). However, I'm prepared to be corrected on that.

My own personal project gzdoom.exe has a blue background with yellow lettering. However, this wasn't an attempt to recreate the old Doom versions. In fact, I'd forgotten that they were that colour until you mentioned it.

Yeah, it looks like all versions between 1.2 and 1.9 use white over red. Other than that, The Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM use dark gray over lighter gray.