Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryaxnb

Best sourceports/Needs most improvement ports/Ports you use the most

Just wanted to reply about the most used port. For me, that has to be Eternity, as its the only one that seems to work right on my Linux box at the moment (PrBoom has weird crashes and ZDoom and its derivatives don't seem to like Linux)

madcrow said:

PrBoom has weird crashes

Works for me man. But my hardware is four years old, and only has one CPU core.

PrBoom works fine for me on two CPU cores, I've never encountered weird crashes myself.

Also Eternity is known to be non-64-bit-clean (I use Debian amd64), so in a twist of irony, I can't even run it myself. :P

ryaxnb said:

#2 Risen3d
and some basic features are missing,

What basic features ?

leileiol said:

risen3d - it's just doomsday with some copyright infractions bundled on it and a bad webpage stuck in the 90s with 3d skulls, to boot

What copyright infractions ? Please backup your statement. There was an issue nearly 3 years ago now which has been resolved vis. releasing of source code.

Lately I've been using glboom-plus for everything I can, and GZDoom for everything else (aside from the odd project that won't run on either). I've gotten myself addicted to a true-3D-with-unfiltered-textures aesthetic. I want to like Eternity (and I have some Eternity project ideas I mean to get to some decade) but software-rendered freelook has lost its appeal for me :(

Actually. I've started to abandon freelook in Doom lately.
I still have it on. But I also got autoaim on and I only really do some minute pitch changes with it. Not at all like before.

kristus said:

Actually. I've started to abandon freelook in Doom lately.
I still have it on. But I also got autoaim on and I only really do some minute pitch changes with it. Not at all like before.

Yeah, I only freelook in multiplayer now.

I won't nominate a "Best" sourceport - that'd be meaningless outside one of Brandon's polls - but will nominate ReMooD for "Needs most improvement". At the moment I'm mostly using the ZDoom family, PrBoom family and Chocolate in pretty much that order - I'm also spending some time playing the original exe's after finally getting around to installing DOSBox.

I used freelook/mouselook a lot with Doom Legacy, less often with other ports and not at all if I have to choose between using the mouse to look or move. GL rendering looks pretty but the effect is spoilt somewhat when the glow from lamps and Lost Souls bleeds around or through walls.

RjY said:

Works for me man. But my hardware is four years old, and only has one CPU core.

So is mine. But it crashes every tinme I try to load Doom 1 into it. Doom 2 works fine, but when I want to play the classic levels, it fails.

madcrow said:

So is mine. But it crashes every tinme I try to load Doom 1 into it. Doom 2 works fine, but when I want to play the classic levels, it fails.

Is this yourself over at NewDoom (the username is similar and the sign up date is only one day different) stating that Risen3D crashes with your Doom1 Iwad?

Of course Risen3D doesn't have a Linux version, as far as I am aware. But if it is yourself using the same Iwad on a Windows comp, it may suggest a corrupted wad?

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36254

That's not me... My only online handles are madcrow (for gaming and fun stuff) and my real name (for serious stuff)

Plus, Risen3D isn't really my style...

I like having freelook on to get a better sense of the surroundings. I have autoaim off in GZDoom but on, of course, in glboom-plus, and I like switching from one gameplay style to the other from time to time.

Does PrBoom+ work in Mac OS X?

I know regular PrBoom does, but I'm not to sure about Plus.

Reevys said:

Does PrBoom+ work in Mac OS X?

I know regular PrBoom does, but I'm not to sure about Plus.

Yes, I use PrBoom-Plus in Mac OS X.

esselfortium said:

Yes, I use PrBoom-Plus in Mac OS X.

Awesome. I downloaded it earlier, but couldn't seem to get it to run. Do you have to compile it yourself? Or have I possibly downloaded the wrong version of it?

The version I downloaded was an already-compiled, ready-to-use binary, with the same type of launcher as the one included with the Mac version of PrBoom.

Where from? I got it from the PrBoom+ link in the Doom Wiki, but I don't know if that's the right one or not.

And sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm really just more curious than anything else.

hawkwind said:

What copyright infractions ? Please backup your statement. T

you do realize there are half-life assets (models and sound) and derived-assets from doom bundled with risen3d? I guess Sitters' stolen 'work' doesn't really help in any way, he has a past of taking things from Deus Ex too (as well as rapidly denying such until he gets his way by threatening to 'not make art/sound anymore'). Either way these infractions aren't essential to executing the functional game as-is, so it wouldn't hurt Risen3D to just release without such material as it is not required to run with. Besides, it breaks compatibility with freedoom anyway, as well as pwads that replace the weapon graphics or have fantastical non-firearm weapons

leileilol said:

you do realize there are half-life assets (models and sound) and derived-assets from doom bundled with risen3d? I guess Sitters' stolen 'work' doesn't really help in any way, he has a past of taking things from Deus Ex too (as well as rapidly denying such until he gets his way by threatening to 'not make art/sound anymore').

Sitters might like to respond to this

leileilol said:

it breaks compatibility with freedoom anyway, as well as pwads that replace the weapon graphics or have fantastical non-firearm weapons

Risen3D fully supports Freedoom and custom graphics. The user just has to play in Basic Doom Mode.

leileilol said:

you do realize there are half-life assets (models and sound) and derived-assets from doom bundled with risen3d? I guess Sitters' stolen 'work' doesn't really help in any way, he has a past of taking things from Deus Ex too (as well as rapidly denying such until he gets his way by threatening to 'not make art/sound anymore'). Either way these infractions aren't essential to executing the functional game as-is, so it wouldn't hurt Risen3D to just release without such material as it is not required to run with. Besides, it breaks compatibility with freedoom anyway, as well as pwads that replace the weapon graphics or have fantastical non-firearm weapons

Leileilol you can lie what you want, all stuff for R3D is original made by me.
Long time ago I say you are an idiot and now I still think the same.

I still making stuff, never say stop with it.
also still make stuff for UFO. alien invasion.
so go fucking someone else with your lies.

I use prboom+ for normal doom levels, gzdoom for heretic/hexen and special doom levels and Edge for my personnal stuff and some normal doom levels.

madcrow said:

That's interesting. Could you be more specific than "it fails"? E.g. what command line you are running it with, what version you are using, precisely what Doom 1 IWAD you have, any likely-looking messages on stdout/stderr, etcetc.

Best ports:
1. zDoom
2. Choclate Doom
3. prBoom

The worst ports are those that dont oblige to the GPL and close their source, or have they paid a licence to id soft?

The original Doom Source License did not require derivative works to disclose their source code. Ports based on that first code release can keep their source closed without breaking any licenses.

Best port: prboom+, Eternity

Needs improvement: ODAMEX. Come on, guys. You removed half of zdoom's functionality that was "raven" code, and then when the raven code was GPL'd, didn't put the features back. Scrolling skies matter to me, dammit. If I recall correctly, one of the 32in24 maps wouldn't even run in Odamex due to a crazy sky bug that could be fixed easily, but wasn't. Apologies if Odamex has gotten better since then, but last time I played, it felt like a hollowed-out csdoom/Zdaemon. Then again, I'm not a fan of that feel anymore.

Worst port: Skulltag. closed like an alligator's mouth.

fraggle's 3 points reflect my own views pretty well. (I haven't tried Chocolate Doom though, so I can't comment on it.) I would like to a little of my own thoughts though, just so this isn't a waste of a post.

PrBoom - Feels more like DOOM than any other port. Compatible with more WADs and LMPs than any other Doom port AFAIK.

Eternity - New features and bug fixes are logical extensions of the original game. As a player, this port has most of the features I want, and has a great in game feeling. As an author, I hope to someday learn to exploit all its extremely advanced features.

ZDoom - Pushes the envelope, forcing the engine to evolve in ways id never imagined. Authors who use all its features can create games which feel far removed from traditional doom. Not my first choice, but I'm glad it exists.

I play GZDoom primarily, almost exclusively. I think it's got the best features of any source port, gets better every release, and runs well in both Windows and Linux (through use of Winefix) on my home desktop PC, though I do have issues on some other PCs with Linux.

The only other source ports I really touch are software-rendering ZDoom (rarely) and Legacy (though not for a fair while on Windows, the Linux OpenGL binary still works well).

It's easy to bash ReMooD, it does run slowly and some things are broken, but keep in mind it's one of the few ports that regularly distributes working binaries for Win32, Win64, three common flavors of Linux, and releases all its' source code - a feat not to be sneezed at.