Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moshman

Players that start with just the fist? Possiable?

Hey, I was wondering if it's possible to make the player start with no weapons.

Thanks.

Very possible. You could look at Strain.wad to see an implementation of this idea done with a Dehacked patch. There are also many other (less-widely-supported) ways you could do this with the editing abilities of modern source ports.

You can use DeHackEd to:

1) Set the initial bullets to zero. This makes the fist the only usable weapon on startup. Has the side effect of starting off, holding an empty pistol (attempting to fire will switch).
2) Make the pistol a duplicate of the fist. Selecting either one will bring up the fists. The downside is pretty obvious: you have one less weapon.
3) Swap the pistol and fist and set the initial bullets to zero. This makes it so the player starts with both the fist and pistol, but the pistol isn't the currently selected weapon.

It just depends on the specifics of what you're trying to accomplish. Care to give us a few details so we may make suggestions that pertain to what you're trying to do?

If using a ZDoom-based source port, you can use the TakeInventory() ACS function to remove the pistol and/or bullets.

I am using ZDoom.

I want the player to start in a cell with no weapons. I know there is a pistol pickup, I want to use that. I want the player to fight a bit with the fist before the pistol is found.

For Zdoom, you can either define a custom player class using DECORATE and simply don't give him the pistol or any bullets as starting items. Alternatively, you could use a script to strip the player of his inventory and give back the fists in a script that automatically runs when the level starts. Both options work well, it just depends what you want to do.

Decorate:

Actor DoomPlayer2 : DoomPlayer replaces DoomPlayer
{
Player.StartItem "Clip", 0
}
KeyConf:
ClearPlayerClasses
AddPlayerClass DoomPlayer2
ZDoom and ZDoom-based port only, however, but it should work.

Here is the solution for anyone else wondering the same:

// Strip pistol from player
script 50 open {
ClearInventory();
GiveInventory("Fist", 1);
}

That's best for a specific map, but if it's for ZDoom, and meant to apply to all maps, the Decorate solution is more failsafe (I misunderstood, by the way. You should replace that with ' Player.StartItem "Fist", 1 ', in the decorate definition).