Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Monopoly!

Creaphis said:

Monopoly's rule book is ignored and misconstrued as much as the bible.

dohohoho, that's why the NES version is so awesome. It follows the rules!

Ugh, every time I play Monopoly I wonder why I'm not playing Risk instead. Some of us are just not cut out to be capitalist oppressors...

Something just reminded me of Stock Ticker. I've played it a few times, with a really old game board for that retro feel, and it's surprisingly fun. It's incredibly luck-based, with just a kernel of strategy. It's tempting to say that there's no strategy at all, thereby excusing you of your losses, but there are ways to seize slight statistical advantages. In other words, it's basically Monopoly. But, it's a more concentrated dose of monopoly, with the tension involved in rolling the dice purified to maximum strength.

I got a call back to participate in the qualifying round to determine who will go to Washington D.C. for the National Monopoly Championship!

I realy enjoy monopoly. I try going for the railroads or utilities and I also like being the slum lord (buying up the cheapest properties). one of my favorite alternate versions of monopoly is the LotR version. it gives you a good fast play option. it comes with a "one ring" and one of the die has the one (1) side replaced with the "eye of sauron". when the eye is rolled you advance the ring up one property. if the player lands on a property the ring is on and it's not owned, then he can get it for free. if it is owned the player has to pay double the rent. the game ends when the ring reaches mount doom (aka boardwalk). the players then total up all monies and property, including houses and hotels. the player worth the most is the winner. it's a fun variation, IMO.

VileSlay said:

I realy enjoy monopoly. I try going for the railroads or utilities and I also like being the slum lord (buying up the cheapest properties). one of my favorite alternate versions of monopoly is the LotR version. it gives you a good fast play option. it comes with a "one ring" and one of the die has the one (1) side replaced with the "eye of sauron". when the eye is rolled you advance the ring up one property. if the player lands on a property the ring is on and it's not owned, then he can get it for free. if it is owned the player has to pay double the rent. the game ends when the ring reaches mount doom (aka boardwalk). the players then total up all monies and property, including houses and hotels. the player worth the most is the winner. it's a fun variation, IMO.

Yeah I have the LoTR version too. I haven't played it very much, tho. I should play it again sometime.

Hellbent said:

tournament play starts in less than an hour. Wish me luck!

* Luck Wished *

Patrick Pineda said:

* Luck Wished *

Thanks. I got 2nd in the first game for 10 points. If the game wasn't lagging so much I would have bankrupted some people and may have gotten as many as 28 points. Hopefully things will be smooth tomorrow.

Blew my chance. Had enough luck... and blew it.

Got 2nd out of 4 in my frist game and got bankrupted in my 2nd game
Here's what happened in my 2nd game which was 3 people: I bought up almost every color but yellow and dark blue and had 2 reds. And i naturally landed Dark purple. I put up hotels, got hit on baltic twice. $900. All within like 2 or 3 rounds of the board. Dogwalker had Boardwalk and 2 RRs and red. Trader Joe had 2 RRs and Park Place. Then in desperation, dog walker gave Trader Joe boardwalk for two Railroads. So now Dogwalker has 4 RRs and Trader Joe Boardwalk and Park Place and no cash.

I still have two hotels on Baltic and Mediterranean and cash and $1,000 more net worth than the others.

I was contemplating trading with Trader Joe for one of his trasnports, to interfere with the possibility of the trade between him and dog walker. But I hesitated too long and then they did it. After that, my best hope was to get some transports off of dog walker and the light blues, and give him the reds. But he wouldn't have it. We were going back and forth and I thought I was going to get light blues, all trasnports--and give him $625 and reds. But after the trade was done I only had 2 light blues (I guess he sneakily removed a light blue and I didn't catch it). In a fit of desperation, I tried to get the third light blue, but we didn't come to an agreement immediately. I then landed on Illinois with 2 houses for $300 rent. After that my transports and dark purples weren't a match for his reds. He offered me the light blue for 400 cash but I declined. I ended up giving him two transports, $130, and an orange (one was still unowned and he had the other) for light blue.

But at this point damage had been done. He was very aggressive building houses and Trader Joe then landed on Kentucky with 3 houses. I landed on Indiana shortly thereafter.

I should have waited for a better trade even though the Railroads would eventually have worn my advantage down.... Oh well. What do you think I should have done?