Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cybermaarten

ZDoom features in Doombuilder

I'm trying a little bit of ZDoom in DoomBuilder but I have a few questions:
- How can I add a z-index and/or arguments to things?
- I'm reading online about z-doom features concerning for example Slope things. I can't find those in the list (in Zdoom (Doom in Doom format) config). Am I missing something?

Thanks so much!

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but can I still make maps for Doom2, when I choose the Doom in Hexen format? Do I just have to select the Doom2 iwad in the settings?

"Doom in Hexen format" shouldn't be parsed as "(Doom in Hexen) format" but as "Doom in (Hexen format)".

In other words, yes, the game is Doom; no, you won't need to use Hexen.wad. "Doom in Hexen" isn't about pitting space marines against chaos serpents.

It's just that there are two (now three, with UDMF) map formats for Doom engine games. The Doom format (used also by Heretic and Strife) and the Hexen format. The Hexen format allows everything that the Doom format allows, and much more. For example:
- Things can have specials associated to them (in Doom, they can't). That means that effects such as raising or lowering floors when a monster is killed do not need to be hardcoded (like was done with the boss fights in Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, etc.).
- Things have a Z argument because the third dimension is better integrated. (If Doom is a 2.5D game, Hexen is a 2.75D game.)
- Things and linedefs can have up to five parameters, which refine how they (or their specials) behave.
- Each map can have up to 255 map scripts, plus any number of library scripts up to a total of 999 scripts, both categories included.

The Doom format simply has no place to put those informations, so you have to use the Hexen format.

Or the UDMF format.

Thanks, very clarifying!

I've googled like crazy to find a comprehensive reference guide explaining what all the ZDoom features are and how they should be implemented, but didn't find anything. The closest thing is the ZDoom wiki, but that also only explains a few things. Does something better exist?