Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind

Unofficial Doom2.wad patch

I have made a patch for doom2.wad v1.9 which fixes most, if not all, the bugs in the wad. It may be obtained from

HERE

If anyone wishes to host the file permanently elsewhere that would be welcome.

Also, if there is enough interest in this I might make a patch for the other doom iwads as well.

UPDATE ... New link to file. Thanks to Maes for hosting.

There's a changelog of sorts in the text file within the ZIP.

Cool but, in my opinion, more interesting as a reference about the bugs or a curiosity, for writing a wiki article or the like, than for playing.

The name "Unofficial Update" sounds rather pretentious. "Unofficial Bugfix" seems better. You might also want to tell people why they should better back up or keep a copy of the original, as the fixed one won't work well with demos and online games (among possibly other reasons).

myk said:

The name "Unofficial Update" sounds rather pretentious. "Unofficial Bugfix" seems better.

Seconded. I expected new features.

hawkwind said:
HERE

I can't download this. Because Rapidshit give me this piece of shit error. :(

Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Just gimme the damn thing via email (contact me through PM) and I'll provide a direct download link without ads or crap, or submit it to idgames/ already.

myk said:

The name "Unofficial Update" sounds rather pretentious. "Unofficial Bugfix" seems better.

I accept that.

myk said:

You might also want to tell people why they should better back up or keep a copy of the original

That was mentioned in my text file.

myk said:

as the fixed one won't work well with demos and online games (among possibly other reasons).

I have just now checked the demos that come with doom2.wad and requiem.wad and they worked just fine in prboom+ and chocolate doom.

Meh. I've decided to get this rule. If it's not worth uploading to /idgames. It's not worth downloading.

ducon said:

Sorry, but I can do nothing with a .exe.

Unless you know of a better way to distribute and apply patches to an existing file, all you have to do is run the .exe and specify the Doom2.wad file you want to patch, which must of course be v1.9 or else the patcher will refuse to continue.

Once patched, the resulting file should be 14.563.447 bytes long, and have a CRC of 051ACDDA.

Maes said:

Unless you know of a better way to distribute and apply patches to an existing file, all you have to do is run the .exe and specify the Doom2.wad file you want to patch, which must of course be v1.9 or else the patcher will refuse to continue.

Once patched, the resulting file should be 14.563.447 bytes long, and have a CRC of 051ACDDA.

DEH or BEX?
Diff and Patch?
I run Linux so a .exe can’t help me.

ducon said:

DEH or BEX?

These work directly, byte-per-byte on the DOS .exe through dehacked, or their effects are emulated by source ports, there's no comparison.

Diff and Patch? I run Linux so a .exe can’t help me.

Unless these formats allow to distribute a generic data file to be used with the correct executable for each OS, you would still have the same problem. Anyway, if you point me to a (windows) tool that can generate such a "magic", cross platform data file, I'll be happy to generate vs with my Doom2.wad files (prior and after patching).

hawkwind said:
I have just now checked the demos that come with doom2.wad and requiem.wad and they worked just fine in prboom+ and chocolate doom.

You did suggest making a back-up. I meant just adding why. Requiem should be unaffected, but some demos in DOOM II could be affected. For instance, some fixes involve monsters that were stuck. Those monsters will now move around and cause a different demo behavior. Likewise consistency failures should occur if trying to connect to a peer or server using the original WAD.

ducon said:

I run Linux so a .exe cannot help me.

Correct. The patch is for Windows only , sorry.

myk said:

For instance, some fixes involve monsters that were stuck. Those monsters will now move around and cause a different demo behavior. Likewise consistency failures should occur if trying to connect to a peer or server using the original WAD.

Fair enough.

Yeah. Doing so would be distributing original id data resources and/or direct modifications thereof.

Doing so is normally forbidden by third parties, and has only ever been done "officially" in exceptional circumstances, e.g. the official "patch" for TNT level 31 was distributed in the form of a complete PWAD.

This also explains why we can't distribute an already patched Doom2.wad, in case you missed it.

Maes said:
Yeah. Doing so would be distributing original id data resources and/or direct modifications thereof.

Yeah, while you can contain bits of id stuff in a PWAD, this patch method seems suitable for a fix-up, as PWADs are "derivative work" that have their own creative work. This isn't really a "new creation" as the EULA calls normal PWADs.

Replicate the fixes, if they're actually important to you. You probably could have done what Hawkwind did in a handful of hours at any point in the last fifteen years.

ducon said:
So, what can I do?

Don't whine about it, try Wine instead.

myk said:

.. some demos in DOOM II could be affected. For instance, some fixes involve monsters that were stuck.

Also, according to the text-file, the nodes were rebuilt, which will guarantee desyncs in most iwad demos.

As for non-Windows platforms, is there any reason why Dosbox shouldn't work for this? (I haven't tested, as I have no wish to alter my iwads.)

Yes, The demos in my patch do indeed play back differently.

And dosbox does work with this patch ... just tested.

You could just use idbsp in order to stay as true to the original as possible. The reject maps alone for sure change the behavior slightly. Imperfections won't be an issue, since the maps were designed with those in mind in the first place. Only downside would be that some slime lines would remain. On the pro side, you will most likely get a smaller patch, since the node structure would be closer to the original than any other nodebuilder does.