Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

Losing map whenever I save *also solved :)*

Another question... I don't remember when this first started, but this causes a hell of a lot frustration...
I'm working on a WAD, and right now I have three completed maps. However there are some minor things I need to change, but for some reason whenever I change something the testing goes alright, but when I save the map and start the WAD, it doesn't start my own map at all! Instead, it starts the original DOOM2 map with the same number. When I open my WAD the maps are still there, yet somehow DOOM won't open them anymore.
When I open my backup WAD the maps are playable again, but when I change something and save it, again the map won't open and instead the DOOM2 map is started.
It's weird, because a while ago I was still able to work on the maps, save them and use them.
What's going on? Is it the Vista incompatibility of DOOM Builder? Is choosing the wrong DOOM configuration for the map causing this? I don't know. I hope you can help me, because I don't wanna keep deleting the WAD and copying the backup WAD all the time!
Thanks in advance!

Weird! Are you sure that you're always loading your wad with the correct iwad, and that your map headers/lumpnames are named correctly?

Creaphis said:

Weird! Are you sure that you're always loading your wad with the correct iwad, and that your map headers/lumpnames are named correctly?

I found out what caused it. I had to place the maps above the SS_ markers in the WAD instead of below them...
What are these markers anyway? Could someone explain that to me? What do they do, and can you place your own markers?

SS_ markers (and S_ markers) identify the section of the WAD in which you should place sprites (ie between SS_START and SS_END). FF_ and F_ are used for flats. PP_ P_ often get used for patches but these are usually not actually required.

justsomemusicguy said:

I found out what caused it. I had to place the maps above the SS_ markers in the WAD instead of below them...
What are these markers anyway? Could someone explain that to me? What do they do, and can you place your own markers?

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/WAD

justsomemusicguy said:

I use XWE to a limited extent, and as far as I know a wad can contain the following:

Lumps (this includes stuff like DECORATE, KEYCONF, and MAPINFO)
Sprites
Images
Floors
Textures
Patches
Sounds
Music
Gfx

Justsomemusicguy. Just had a listen to some of the Doom music you have on youtube. I listened to the remakes of e1m1 e3m1 and e2m6, and and I gotta say, they were all very good. e1m1 especially kicks ass. You have used real guitars, yeah? They sound real, rather than synthesized, anyway.

Nice work. :)

SS_ markers (and S_ markers) identify the section of the WAD in which you should place sprites (ie between SS_START and SS_END). FF_ and F_ are used for flats. PP_ P_ often get used for patches but these are usually not actually required.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/WAD

Thanks for the info. I'll be more careful with these markers from now on, and not move around certain files in the WAD.

Justsomemusicguy. Just had a listen to some of the Doom music you have on youtube. I listened to the remakes of e1m1 e3m1 and e2m6, and and I gotta say, they were all very good. e1m1 especially kicks ass. You have used real guitars, yeah? They sound real, rather than synthesized, anyway.

Nice work. :)

Thanks a lot! I'm glad people actually like the remakes I make. There's some more DOOM remakes coming, too!

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! Next time I encounter a problem I'll first make sure the markers are all in the right place :)