Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cursed Lemon

Toke's wads

I've just been getting into the online Doom scene over the past year or so with ZDaemon and I've just now become aware of who Toke was and what he did for the community. Sadly the only creation of his that I have ever played was coopbuildm (or its server on ZDaemon lists a homage to him, anyhow), and I was curious to see what else of his I could get my hands on, as how other people speak of him intrigues me. Could anyone provide me a resource where I could find more maps of his?

Toke did a lot of mapping and touched pretty much all aspects of it.

He was the one who created the infamous "omgmaps", Vexation (vex-zdaemon.wad for ZDaemon), a CTF wad (probably named something like "omgctf"), and "moo2d", a widely-known classic 1-on-1 map. Toke was also the one to start the doom racing trend and was my inspiration for creating "zdraceb" and Z-Derby, although he passed on before he could do anything with his idea. He contributed to many projects as well.

Toke was a brilliant person when it came to Doom mapping. He knew exactly how to come up with the perfect layout, and when he actually polished up his maps, they were absolutely beautiful.

I never knew this guy personally, but I have played some of his maps. Coopbuildlm.wad is one I will never forget. He was a good mapper, and definently a great Doomer.

EarthQuake said:

[snip] Toke was also the one to start the doom racing trend and was my inspiration for creating "zdraceb" and Z-Derby, although he passed on before he could do anything with his idea. He contributed to many projects as well.

[snip]

So racing in Doom [i]has[/b] been done? Did anything come of this racing 'trend'?

It was popular for a while and kind of died off. It seems like I capitalized on the idea and soon after went bankrupt, hehe. The first track in each of my wads was Toke's original track layout (either shortened or lengthened). After he did his demo wad with the scoring mechanism working, he moved on to another map where players raced "downhill" on separate obstacle courses to a scoring mechanism that used W1 teleports to award players in the order that they finished. Meanwhile I took his demo map and made a polished 5-track racing mod using the concept (see: Z-Derby). I wanted to go back and do something with his latter idea though, although I probably will in the near future. I wish I could find his second wad...

The bits of Zoom I got to play were really quite good, especially the Espimap with the huge 2048x2048 floor graphic.

But more to the point, how did this thread get 11,850 views in 2 days? O_o

Lüt said:

It cheated. The OP initially resurrected the Toke eulogy thread. Then this was split from it.

He also contributed two maps to Odactf, one that Agentspork completed and another that he finished about halfway before passing on.

I miss him. :<

Lüt said:

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5