Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

My woody is smaller than yours

Wood Golem

"Around the Temple, the thirsty roots of trees have sucked up the blood from a thousand human sacrifices. The souls of these ancient victims now prowl the earth bound within gnarled skins of wood."

- TimeSplitters 2 in-game description.

Supernatural creatures found in Free Radical's 2002 TimeSplitters 2 video game. In Story Mode, these animate trees only appear in the 'Aztec Ruins, 1920' area (level 8). Here, they are impervious to everything but fire, so make sure you set Captain Ash's crossbow bolts ablaze with one of the nearby torches/braziers before taking one on or it will tear you apart. Don't let your guard down after lighting up a Wood Golem though--the monster can easily return the favor if you're careless and allow it to come into physical contact with you while it's running about enveloped in flames. In Arcade Mode, they don't enjoy invulnerability to non-incendiaries and can be harmed with any weapon, just like all the other characters. Wood Golems--assuming you have character abilities set to 'ON'--can take a respectable amount of physical punishment, are pretty accurate with firearms, but have low agility/speed.

To unlock the Wood Golem, earn a silver medal (or better) on the "Playing With Fire" Banana Chomp Challenge level. The scenario for this is described, in-game, as: "Jojo shot The Wood Golem with a flaming crossbow bolt. The Golem's not got long left but he's intent on getting his own back by eating as many of Jojo's bananas as possible! Go for the burn, Woody!" Basically you run around collecting the nasty little monkey's precious fruit before the fire consumes you. You need 24 bananas for a gold medal, 22 for silver, and 18 for bronze (if you can manage to snag 24, with a second or more still left on the clock, you'll earn the coveted platinum). Frustrating, but fun! Well, I suppose it's not terribly enjoyable for the poor Wood Golem . . .

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white/hot glue, wire twist ties, string, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The maximum size values for the Wood Golem will vary depending on how the joints are positioned; the numbers given assume a "neutral" standing pose.)

3.2 cm/1.3 in. x 7.6 cm/3.0 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Twenty-five points; neck (2), shoulders (2), biceps (2), elbows (4), fingers (4), waist, hips (4), knees (4), and ankles (2).

Time:
Four days in March 2009 (Mar. 2,3,5, and 6).

For comparison purposes, below are several images of Wood Golems taken from the Playstation 2 version of the Timesplitters 2 video game (more information on mouse-over). I apologize that the quality of the photos isn't better; I've got an older television, with lines on the screen, and it's difficult to get good shots from it. Capturing these images, I discovered that there are actually two different texture palettes for the Wood Golem model: brown and gray. I've only seen the brown color in Arcade Mode; they're always gray in Story Mode and at the character select screen. Obviously, I prefer the latter--it gives them a more petrified/ancient look, but the brown scheme is cool too (the first two process photos, shown above, should give you a rough idea of how the figure might have looked had I chosen to go that route with the paint job).

Nice work! Now, it would be really cool if you had decided to go the brown route - and not painted it at all. I suppose that, to you, it would just look unfinished, but the rest of us think that scorched paper look is awesome. It would suit this monster very well.

I'm trying to determine what sort of game TimeSplitters 2 is from your description here and I can't figure out how to put it all together. Third-person action RPG fighting game with WarioWare-esque minigame sprees?

Finally, you'd better eat those bananas soon. I like 'em ripe, but there are limits.

Exellent job. The unpainted one is my favorite. That fire extinguisher is wicked :P

Creaphis: The TimeSplitters series of games are all FPS, they just contain lots of fun mini games/challenges in addition to your traditional FPS multiplayer and story modes. If I could only have one FPS on a desert island, I'd probably pick one of the TimeSplitter games, just because there's so much to do in them.

I agree that the Wood Golem is a figure that probably would look pretty spiffy unpainted with the burnt wood effect. I still like the gray scheme though, aside from the reasons I mentioned above, it reminds me of a toy my younger brother had when we were kids (a tree dude from the Inhumanoids line, can't remember his name).

Yeah, those bananas are pretty far gone--there's only one left now, and it doesn't look too appetizing, probably going to end up in the trash.

r_rr: Thanks! If I had to do it again, I'd make the tank of the fire extinguisher wider and the nozzle smaller, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Handyman

"This guy is straight out of Hatchet Sal's nightmares. Just goes to show crime doesn't pay - or maybe Sal should have just laid off the cheese."

- TimeSplitters 2 in-game description.

Mobster Hatchet Sal's grisly trophies come to life (he has a thing for collecting the hands of his victims and keeping them in a shoe box under his bed, or, more accurately, I should say he had a thing--the Handyman nightmare scared him straight). These comical, but deadly, creatures first appeared in Free Radical's 2002 TimeSplitters 2 video game. Handymen--assuming you have character abilities set to 'ON'--can take a good amount of damage, are fair marksmen, but have low agility/speed.

To unlock Handyman as a playable character, earn a gold or platinum medal on the "Can't Handle This" Outgunned-But-Never-Outpunned Honorary League Arcade level. The scenario for this is described, in-game, as: "Welcome to Hatchet Sal's cheese induced nightmare. Well, at least now we know what Big Tony's left hand man looks like. Just goes to show if you mutilate people for a living you've got to expect to lose some sleep." As Hatchet Sal, gun down 40 Handymen to complete the stage. Accomplishing this in 4 minutes will get you a bronze trophy, 3-1/2 minutes silver, 3 minutes gold, and 2-1/2 minutes platinum. It's not easy--the trick lies in getting the double Tommy guns weapon (located on the ground floor of the nightclub, right in front of the entrance--if you're lucky, you'll spawn there at the start of the match) as quickly as possible and then camping in that general area. Let the finger-haired fools come to you and mow them down the instant you see so much as a pinky come around the corner. There's a regenerating health pack nearby that you should grab, in between assaults, to patch up any hits you take from your zany adversaries. More importantly, don't forget to (1) manually reload whenever you get the chance, and (2) occasionally snap up the double Tommy guns again, when they respawn, to top off your ammunition (also pick up any single Tommy guns the Handymen happen to drop after being killed to add even more bullets to your stockpile)--you don't want to be caught clicking on empty drums when a gang of these merry murderers comes barreling down on you.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white/hot glue, wire twist ties, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The maximum size values for Handyman will vary depending on how the joints are positioned; the numbers given assume a "neutral" standing pose.)

2.7 cm/1.1 in. x 7.9 cm/3.1 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Eleven points; neck, shoulders (2), elbows (2), hips (2), knees (2), and ankles (2).

Time:
Three days in March 2009 (Mar. 10-12).

For comparison purposes, below are several images of Handymen taken from the Playstation 2 version of the TimeSplitters 2 video game. In case you're wondering, the crimson circle, stuck inside Handyman's head in the lower images, is the red team symbol (the only way I can get the computer-controlled Handymen to stand still for photos is to run team deathmatch, with no weapons, and assign all the bots to be on the same side as me--everyone is an ally, so they just stand around doing nothing, because there are no "legal" targets for them to go after, nor are there any firearms for them to run around collecting). Normally, that team icon floats above a character's noggin, but the fingers add extra height to Handyman's head, which is why it ends up stuck inside the game model.

I guess I haven't unlocked Handyman yet since I don't remember him. I do remember the Wood Golem though..I think. Both look really cool :]

Handyman is a tough one to unlock--it took me many, many tries to get gold--still haven't gotten platinum on that level yet either; I believe my best time to date is 2 minutes and 46 seconds. I don't have TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (something I hope to rectify in the near future), but I think Handyman is in that one too, because in a review I read of the game I remember the reviewer mentioning a character that had matchsticks for arms and who else would that apply to?