Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

View Poll Results: What do you think of the "Digger" cartoons on FOX's NASCAR sport e  

6 members have voted

1. 1. View Poll Results: What do you think of the "Digger" cartoons on FOX's NASCAR sport e

• MORE DIGGER! MORE DIGGER!
    • Meh. They\'re okay.
    • They are terrible.
    • What does \"Mighty Heroes\" have to do with this?!

Being a multi-national forum, and mostly urban users, NASCAR may not be the biggest sport in popularity here, but for those who do watch, what do you think of those Digger cartoons?
Personally, I think they are just awful. They're taking the concept of the "Digger Cam" (Cameras buried within the race track to see the cars race up close), and turning it into a circus frenzy.
Sure, the "Digger Cams" are great, but do we really need this concept shoveled down our throats constantly? Are FOX's ratings just that bad, that they need a stupid cartoon to draw in viewers?
If I were Keith Urban, I would've had second thoughts about writing a jingle for this fail of a cartoon.

NASCAR is 4 hours of left turns that only backward conservative-country hicks watch. you're all alone in this one buddy.

Georgef551 said:

Are FOX's ratings just that bad, that they need a stupid cartoon to draw in viewers?

Yes.

Patrick Pineda said:

NASCAR is 4 hours of left turns that only backward conservative-country hicks watch. you're all alone in this one buddy.

Also yes.

Patrick Pineda said:

Patrick Pineda said:

Apparently so since it's the fastest growing sport in America. I guess the hicks must be multiplying?

NASCAR has grown to become the second-most popular professional sport in terms of television ratings. Second place to the NFL.

Come on, research before you troll.

Wow second fastest growing sport? Would never of guessed that.

To be on topic, no it doesent interest me.

I much prefer the British equivalent that's held in the infield of greyhound racing tracks, in which the cars have pretty much everything stripped off them and box-section welded around the doors, the races last 15 minutes and crashing is encouraged.

The funny thing is, the comments in this thread are way more retarded than the average NASCAR viewer supposedly is.

Pretty soon Nascar is going to be scripted like wrestling, with fake explosions, crashes, and trash-talking before each "race". (Edit: and it figures BBG would be the only advocate on Doomworld for Nascar... You goddamn hick.)

We smelly European pinkos need no stinkin' Nascar...

EarthQuake said:

Pretty soon Nascar is going to be scripted like wrestling, with fake explosions, crashes, and trash-talking before each "race". (Edit: and it figures BBG would be the only advocate on Doomworld for Nascar... You goddamn hick.)

I don't watch NASCAR, just pointing out that anyone that says "NASCAR is only for rednecks" is actually MORE retarded than the people they're trying to feel superior to.

If I wanted to see a bunch of cars wizzing by, I'd sit on the edge of the highway. If you want to watch something interesting, go see demolition derbies. Best spectator sport ever.

Danarchy said:

If I wanted to see a bunch of cars wizzing by, I'd sit on the edge of the highway. If you want to watch something interesting, go see demolition derbies. Best spectator sport ever.

Isn't a car in a US demolition derby retired when a wooden stick taped to the a-pillar is broken?

In the rest of the world a car is only retired from a demolition derby when it can't move under it's own power any more. And even then if the engine is running they'll have a damn good try at getting it to move (like if it's blocked in / stuck / has bits of mangled bodywork fouling the wheels)

What I don't understand why driving in a circle 500 times is considered a "professional" sport. I'm sure my grandmother or grandfather can do that.

Csonicgo said:

Apparently so since it's the fastest growing sport in America. I guess the hicks must be multiplying?

Yes, this is evidence of that. Maybe it's something in the water. I'd like to see your sources about the ratings.

Naked Snake said:

The funny thing is, the comments in this thread are way more retarded than the average NASCAR viewer supposedly is.

What's even more funny is the "retarded" comments appear to be coming from defenders of going around a track real fast for a few hours.

Mr. Chris said:

What I don't understand why driving in a circle 500 times is considered a "professional" sport. I'm sure my grandmother or grandfather can do that.

The operative phrase you forgot is "very fast". This is the defense for why it's a "sport".

Wikipedia said:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Some view sports as differing from games based on the fact that there are usually higher levels of organization and profit (not always monetary) involved in sports. Accurate records are kept and updated for most sports at the highest levels, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.

Csonicgo said:

NASCAR has grown to become the second-most popular professional sport in terms of television ratings. Second place to the NFL.

Come on, research before you troll.

Yes, NASCAR still has that "Redneck" stereotype attached to it, and when I was in H.S., I stopped watching it, because it was just too redneck. Redneck terms, and inaudible slackjaw drivers. Then I watched it by chance in 2K1, a few races after #3 died. It wasn't the same. It's not redneck anymore. In fact, it's now THE racing discipline people want to race now. People are defecting from F1 and Indy to be in this sport, because it is the biggest spectator sport in the U.S. (Attendance), and has the biggest TV draw (for racing), at least in the States.

NASCAR is international now. Granted, there's a lot of rednecks still in it (got to keep some original flavor), and mostly American, but that's slowly changing.

I believe the Daytona 500 is watched in 76 countries, if I remember correctly.

NASCAR has exploded enough, thet the Indy 500 isn't so big anymore (I still call it #1), the audience goes a few hundred miles south to see the Coca-Cola 600. NASCAR drivers no longer care to do "The Double" anymore. (Run the Indy 500, then take a 'copter to the 600 miler.)

KNOWN FACT: A NASCAR stock car can be faster than an F1 or Indy car. That's because on any track a NASCAR can gain momentum to go full speed (they CAN go past 247 MPH), a "Restrictor Plate" is put into the carborator, as well as other mechanical tweaks (required by NASCAR officials), to slow the cars down. NASCAR does not want the cars going past 200 MPH on any track, for safety reasons, especially for the driver, if a bad wreck wwre to happen. There are occasions the cars do go a hare over 200, but by design, they are to be kept under that speed.
I'm sure if the sky was the limit on speed, all diciplines would be in the 300 MPH range by now, if not, close.

People are defecting from F1 and Indy to be in this sport, because it is the biggest spectator sport in the U.S. (Attendance), and has the biggest TV draw (for racing), at least in the States

Oh definetely. I think in Britain F1 has increased in popularity a lot over the last two years. But that's probably because we've got somebody good at it driving at the moment.

Aren't there NASCAR races where the turns go in both directions? I'm pretty sure i saw some TV show once where it said they don't always race on ovals but do race on proper tracks, those races must require a lot more skill. Just as much as F1 / Indy / Touring cars etc in fact.

One thing i find wierd, though, is that NASCAR's aren't really, well, cars. They used to be in the 80's, but since then seem to have changed into a spaceframe with a fibreglass shell vaguely formed into the shape of one of that manufacturer's saloons, and a V8 engine by that manufacturer put in. While that undoubtedly gives more speed and safety it's not really the same was watching "your car" win a race, unlike it is in Touring cars or Rallying. Though as i understand it the only way you'll see "your car" win in touring cars in future is to own a Vauxhall Vectra, since everybody else pulled out.

deathbringer said:

Aren't there NASCAR races where the turns go in both directions? I'm pretty sure i saw some TV show once where it said they don't always race on ovals but do race on proper tracks, those races must require a lot more skill. Just as much as F1 / Indy / Touring cars etc in fact.

When I used to keep up with it there were two, Watkins Glen and Sears Point. With respect to skill there are actually both drivers who are better at ovals than road courses and those who are better at road courses than ovals.

deathbringer said:

Isn't a car in a US demolition derby retired when a wooden stick taped to the a-pillar is broken?

In the rest of the world a car is only retired from a demolition derby when it can't move under it's own power any more. And even then if the engine is running they'll have a damn good try at getting it to move (like if it's blocked in / stuck / has bits of mangled bodywork fouling the wheels)

What the fuck? I've never heard of those kinds of lame-ass rules before. Out here in the northwest at least (where apparently the sport is the most popular), the main rule is that you keep going until you can't. The ones around here have both circuit and figure-8 races and they in small and large classes. They race a certain amount of laps like a normal race, but they don't stop the race because of crashes unless someone gets injured or their car catches on fire. Then at the end of the day, they have two grand melees (one for each class) where the object is to be the last man standing. So basically everyone gets their car totaled by the end of the night. Even the winners of the finales are often just winners because they were the last vehicle moving, and they're stuck themselves.

So yeah, fun times all around.

That's more like it. It must have been some kind of lame hollywood/MTV/McDemolition (replace whatever corporate giant you want here) derby i saw on telly that time. In that they had some 80's blocky cars that drove at 3mph and lightly shoved each other a bit, until one rolled and the wooden stick was broken, so it was retired. Then some other guys got stuck and broke the stick themselves, it was so limp-wristed and stupid.

deathbringer said:

Oh definetely. I think in Britain F1 has increased in popularity a lot over the last two years. But that's probably because we've got somebody good at it driving at the moment.

That's all it takes to get things going, as well as a group of other well-desciplined racers. Drivers want to go where the skills are greatest, as I've heard there may be one NASCAR driver defecting to F1, probably where you're talking about, and wants to challenge them.

Yes, they do have road courses, Infineon, and some other place. In the "Minor leagues" (The Nationwide Series), one course is in Mexico, and another in Canada. These were added not too long ago, because of NASCAR's exploding fan base. (If you're thinking exploding as in waistline, well, that's probably true as well. :))

One thing i find wierd, though, is that NASCAR's aren't really, well, cars. They used to be in the 80's, but since then seem to have changed into a spaceframe with a fibreglass shell vaguely formed into the shape of one of that manufacturer's saloons, and a V8 engine by that manufacturer put in. While that undoubtedly gives more speed and safety it's not really the same was watching "your car" win a race, unlike it is in Touring cars or Rallying. Though as i understand it the only way you'll see "your car" win in touring cars in future is to own a Vauxhall Vectra, since everybody else pulled out. [/B]

Exactly,. It's not really a "Stock Car" anymore, mostly for safety and aerodynamics.

Check out this wreck, to prove how safe these cars are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4oSZIm3YAw Big wreck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKcasmBxfLc&feature=related Same wreck, but the actual qualifying broadcast.

After all that, he just had some bumps and bruises (mentioned in next race's coverage). It's amazing how super safe these things are now. It does take away some originality in design, but if you get these results, so be the stock car that is not-so stock.

I haven't seen the Digger cartoons so can't comment on them but I've watched enough NASCAR (and other oval track) racing to conclude that - apart from the crashes - it's the most boring form of motor racing I've encountered. Chasing a runaway lawnmower in the backyard can give me more of an adrenalin rush!

Mr. Chris said:

I'm sure the MythBusters could modify Buster to do that.

Hell no. Figure skating is awesome.

I only watch about two routines per year but I still like it enough to get mad at the judges.

Well I've grown up around NASCAR, rodeos, F1, stock car racing, monster truck shows, and demolition derbies living in the midwest of the US. And I can honestly say they are just about the most boring thing you can see. Even if there are crashes, it's just a bunch of jackasses doing things with their vehicles, either driving fast, or hitting each other. I wouldn't say NASCAR is a redneck thing, since quite a few non rednecks enjoy it, but I honestly can't fathom watching a few cars going in a circle 500 times. The only sports I will stop and watch is hockey and rugby, because they're actually enjoyable, fast paced, and they don't cram everyone ass-full of safety devices. I also enjoy watching shooting competitions, but that takes actual skill, as opposed to turning left, which I do every day.

SuperSlammer2 said:

Oh come on, Nascar isn't that bad.

Its better than ice skating!!

Heh.
When there's nothing else on, and I'm watching figure skating, if I lose the signal and get the "Weak or no signal" message, the entertainment value went up two-fold. I get all bummed out when the signal returns. :)