Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

My megawad project "Journey To Hell"

I will soon but right now I'm just adding small boarding but I might be able to show something later today as I have large chunck of time to work on it.

IRod54 said:

Some facts about this project!

- Multiplayer support!

I don't think I have ever seen a WAD without "multiplayer support.". For multiplayer all you have to do is put down some Coop and Deathmatch starts so its not that big a deal...

avery1555 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a WAD without "multiplayer support.". For multiplayer all you have to do is put down some Coop and Deathmatch starts so its not that big a deal...

Sure if you want it to suck completely. Balancing a megawad for proper co-op play is a huge undertaking, so hopefully he's serious about it.

Yeah, hopefully the Multiplayer isn't just the Wad with a couple of friends. Hopefully the deathmatch will be pretty good :D.

Use3D said:

Balancing a megawad for proper co-op play is a huge undertaking, so hopefully he's serious about it.

Really? I thought it's enough to play on nightmare, so that everyone respawns and is tough...

Hrm...had a chance to try the demo version. Nice construction but too many enemies, especially in the last map. Yeah I realize it's a slaughtermap but the number of enemies was ridiculous...I reckon I simply don't like that style of play.

40oz said:

Not bad, but I wouldn't suggest SLADWALL for those window frames. perhaps METAL instead?

I just made them quick I'm still finalizing the texture chose
and metal would fit better with the theme of the map.
so I'll most likely make them metal in the final version of map 1

Doom64Marine said:

I like this project. that's all i have to say. Wish it would've got a little more attention though.

it has 11 pages of replies here and 30 or 40 some on WIP
how did it not get the attention it needed

IRod54 said:

@malinka How are things coming along?

slow right now but I should have something to show you soon.

Anyone have any news on this WAD? There haven't been any updates here for a while. The link on wadsinprogress has been taken down due to inactivity, and its page there hasn't had any discussion since August.

I played that beta version with all 32 maps a few weeks ago. In my opinion, you're not missing much.

There were some good ideas, but much of the architecture was directly copy-pasted from parts of Hell Revealed 1 & 2 and Alien Vendetta maps, with a few changes here and there to make it look original if you aren't looking at it too closely. As you can guess, this made for some completely random and ackward layouts.

Gameplay seemed mostly just hordes of monsters thrown at you without much care for balance or pacing. I like slaughterfests and the number of monsters isn't the issue, they were just poorly used.

I may sound harsh but really I was just disappointed. There's not that many maps with tons of monsters, and reading that thread I was expecting a good, solid megawad, but the whole thing really felt like a bunch of speedmaps with some kind of automated program placing monsters, health and ammo - ok, I'm stretching it a bit here, but you get my point.

Some of the original maps... At least, the maps that I hope were original and not taken from other wads I'm not aware of... These maps were alright and even entertaining. Scrapping the HR/AV clones and rebalancing what's left, this could make a fine 10-12 maps episode. Leaving poor maps in just to have a full megawad would be a shame.