Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skaruts

how to improve textures size and quality?

I'm starting to port Strife to Valve's Orange Box and the mapping goes very well since units in Hammer are pretty much the same size as units in Doom Builder, but the original textures are too tiny. The biggest ones are 64x128 and alike. I need to make them 256x512 or higher. Simply resampling is out of the question as it makes them blurry and disgusting.

I need to know the methods used by ppl who have already improved textures to these games.

Or do you "simply" redraw them?

If you want to get decent results that don't just look like small blurry textures that have been run through Photoshop filters, pretty much your only option is to recreate them yourself at the desired size.

It's like trying to recreate Wolfenstein 3D in Doom. The world is on a smaller scale. A standard door in Wolfenstein is 64 tall, a standard door in Doom is about 72 tall, and a standard door in any Quake/HL-like 3D engine is usually about 96.

My suggestion if possible, is to recreate everything on the scale of Strife and modify the game's player code. Adjusting the "eye height", "weapon height", and player height might do the trick and create the illusion of the player being smaller.

The only big diference between both engines is the eye level. Units in Doom are roughly 0.90/0.95 units in Hammer. As I've been testing, theres's no need to ajust the player itself. It's pretty much possible to make windows higher and doors lower, and every other hight factors in a way that the aspect ratio is very good and fits well.

The default size for doors in hammer is about 108 units high, but the player can go through any door as long as it's more than 71 units high. 80 or 88 units are enough to get Strife's aspect ratio.

Don't worry about that. I'm rly much more concerned about all other stuff...

Well the idea is that you create your brushes so the textures fit on them perfectly and modify the players to "fit" the smaller scale. By doing this, you're inevitably going to have areas where the standard player won't be able to fit through, as the player height in Doom engine games is 56, not 72. If you're porting Strife, you shouldn't be making changes to the maps to accommodate the larger player size.

Skaruts said:

I'm starting to port Strife to Valve's Orange Box

Do you mean the Source engine? As far as I know, The Orange Box is just a compilation of games that they released.

fraggle said:

Do you mean the Source engine? As far as I know, The Orange Box is just a compilation of games that they released.

Indeed. But since all thosoe games (Portal, L4D, TF2, etc) were created using the most recent Source engine (HL2:Ep2 engine), and since Source SDK identifies the engine as Orange Box/HL2:Ep2, ppl are usually refering to the newer engine as the orange Box Engine.

When you saying resampling the originals, do you mean you're resampling them yourself in a graphics utility like Photoshop, or are you talking about the texture filtering applied by the Source engine itself?

There are some advanced scaling algorithms originally designed for pixel art and arcade emulation that can supposedly upscale low-res images whilst maintaining contrast. You could take a look at preprocessing with them instead of bog-standard bilinear or bicubic. However, basically there is no automatic way to produce high-quality up-scales of low-resolution textures. You just have to redraw everything using the original as inspiration. There are a lot of free texture packs out there to use as a base though.

Hmmm, interesting! I didn't think there could be better algorithms o that. :p

I was refering to resizing in general, with photoshop or similar apps. With or without filtering, the result is never very pleasant in the scaling I need. So I need to know how do ppl tend to take care of these matters.

Thx for the info.