Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

The Rock Lays the Smackdown on the Doom Movie

Over at Stephen Totilo's MTV Multiplayer blog, the artist formerly known as The Rock comes out and says what you've all been thinking for the past four years: the Doom movie sucked. Additionally, he goes on to comment on game to movie adaptations and how he will whip your roody poo candy ass in Madden.

Instead of the video I got a message saying "Copyrights restrict us from playing this video outside the U.S."

What a load of Draconian bumfuck.

POTGIESSER said:

Instead of the video I got a message saying "Copyrights restrict us from playing this video outside the U.S."

What a load of Draconian bumfuck.

On the websites of TV networks I see that more often than not. I don't know exactly who to blame for that, but someone is definitely a douchebag.

Well I didn't think it was THAT bad. I set my standards very very low so I was a little surprised it had some good parts.

Videos not viewable by users logging in from Canada or the U.K.

There aren't many occasions where being in Australia has it's advantages and this isn't one of them - I can't believe I sat and watched that interview.

GreyGhost said:

There aren't many occasions where being in Australia has it's advantages and this isn't one of them - I can't believe I sat and watched that interview.

OH NO YOU'RE GONNA DIE NOW

I suppose if someone really wanted, they could take the interview clip and post it to YouTube, there I would imagine it would last at least 24 hours before someone takes it down. =p

It lacked writing and material? What it was really missing was a tie-in with a certian place full of fire, brimstone, and red dudes with horns and hooves. I could have forgiven just about everything else if it just had that. But nooooo. Genetic virus mutation bullshit where "bad" people turn into zombies and/or freaky monsters. Fuck that.

He made a joke about that at the WWE 2008 Hall of Fame awards. He made fun of John Cena's movie "The Marine" but then said it was okay because he did Doom. :)

exp(x) said:

I refuse to watch the movie because of the whole virus thing.

You made a good judgment call there.

Yeah, the movie sucked. It was NOWHERE close to Doom! Man, I tell you, video game movies really disappoint, don't they?

Don't go in there thinking it's going to be Doom and you'll probably enjoy it. That's what I did. My favorite part was the Universal Logo thing at the beginning though.

Yeah, the Universal logo used Mars instead of Earth. That was a nice touch.

The end credits actually had this minimalistic FPS perspective animation. I think that wasn't bad :p

Use3D said:

Did anyone need the Rock to tell them that?

Possibly, since for weeks just before the movie was released he was doing everything he could to promote the movie in a positive light, for instance saying such things on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as, "You might as well pull the bar-b-q out from storage because Summer's come back for October!" Now that he's done a complete 180, it proves either 1 of 2 things: he's either wised up and seen the light now that he's had the chance to star in some marginally better movies, or he really hated the movie from day one but was forced under contract to not disparage the movie until now. Personally, either one seems equally plausible.

myk said:

The end credits actually had this minimalistic FPS perspective animation. I think that wasn't bad :p

Oh. I didn't actually watch them. But that was when the movie was over. :p

Texas Libra said:
he's either wised up and seen the light now that he's had the chance to star in some marginally better movies, or he really hated the movie from day one but was forced under contract to not disparage the movie until now.

I'd say he was doing his job (promoting it) and eventually saw it failed and felt that it would do his image some good to go along with the crowd and bash it. You know, like one of those politicians that say one thing before you vote and another once elected, or the ones that say one thing while in office and another afterwards.

It's more likely that he was simply obligated by contract to promote the movie and not put it in a negative light -- that contract has probably expired by now, so now he can really say it as it is.

It's like Christopher Reeves when he was promoting Superman III and IV; in his own autobiography published in the 1990s, he admitted that both of them were complete disasters, but he was obliged to do everything at the time to promote them as good movies.