Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Co-op mapsets recommendation?

I've recently decided to play Doom online again and me and my friends just went through Invasion UAC...i was wondering if anyone can recommend me any other solid coop mapsets that are fun to play.

I'd say good choices depend on how you'll be playing. How many players? For example, Memento Mori, which did have good coop testing, is fun for two players, but might not be that interesting for more.

You'll need to run both of these wads together. This was made specifically for coop and - unfortunately - infinite ammo. Still, it is pretty quality stuff considering the otherwise horrendous coop wads floating around the internet. You'll need some sort of ZDoom-based engine for these, too.

sg_trogun-a
sg_trogun-b

myk said:

I'd say good choices depend on how you'll be playing. How many players? For example, Memento Mori, which did have good coop testing, is fun for two players, but might not be that interesting for more.

Well 80% of time we are 2 and sometime 3. Thats pretty much it.

If you like you can give Titan 2 a try in coop mode. I primarily tested it in single player, but did some coop testing with my friends and fixed the places we found that you could get screwed as well as placing extra ammo in cooperative mode. If you try it I'd like it if you could give some feedback on it, as I only have my own experiences on this.

TimeOfDeath said:
but do not agree with his infinite ammo coop wad bashing.

I think infinite ammo works fine in WADs where you're pretty much supposed to die often, since the limit is placed on your life rather than on the ammo. Toke's coopbuild is one example (the first?) of where this works out... in fact, playing this WAD without infinite ammo is silly.

This will be my last suggestion :P. You shouldn't overlook Dietest if you want some impressive killing festivals with infinite ammo. It's similar to coopbuild but with more attention paid to the detailing.

myk said:

I think infinite ammo works fine in WADs where you're pretty much supposed to die often, since the limit is placed on your life rather than on the ammo. Toke's coopbuild is one example (the first?) of where this works out... in fact, playing this WAD without infinite ammo is silly.

Sorry for bumping this but I never responded to this yet. Yes, as far as I know, coopbuild was the wad that started the trend and spawned a number of similar wads. Personally, I love coopbuild and enjoy most of the copycat wads too since I "grew up" playing them when I joined ZDaemon in 2004. I also like using infinite ammo with wads that weren't intended for it with 2-4 players that you trust while trying to all get similar number of kills at the end of the map. You can play through a ton of maps you're unfamiliar with in a shorter period of time it would normally take, plus hopefully not die as often or at all. Depending on what mood your team-mates are in, you could use the weaker weapons on the weaker enemies and save the bigger weapons for the stronger enemies and the hordes. Sure, it makes it easier but I think it's fun for casual play.

Yeah, it's true, in many situations that works even on "plain" WADs, if you want quicker play. The only part where it can get a bit silly is when the BFG comes up, where you just see a storm of BFG blasts and even a relatively big level (but not as populated as coopbuild) is wiped out very quickly.

A less brute hack may work better in these situations. For example, making weapons 2-4 infinite and making 5-7 and their ammo items grant x5 ammo (10 rockets for the RL, 5 rockets per rocket, 25 rockets per box, 200 energy units for the PR or BFG, 100 energy units per cell and 500 energy units for a cell pack). Thus you could still run out of big ammo while spamming and you would lose some when dying, but it would still grant enough to blast through more safely and quickly than with normal ammo.

This is easy to do with DeHackEd, even, as you can make some weapons use no ammo by selecting the same ammo type as the fist, and then increase the amount of ammo granted by the other weapons and items. I attached the "spammo" hack to this post.

spammo.zip

TheCupboard said:

Ah - just remembered another two that aren't specifically for coop but I enjoyed with another player. I found these floating around ZDaemon.

Nightmare
Doom Vacation

Wow, that doom vacation wad is alot of fun. I'm glad I stumbled onto this topic!