Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Inglorious Basterds

In my opinion, this could either be good or really terrible.

Your thoughts.

I thought when I saw this at the end of the Oscars that it might be a comedy. Now I just want to shoot the movie makers in the head

At first I thought it might be another re-interpretation of The Dirty Dozen/Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai - no such luck. Looks like a typical Taratino movie - park your brain in neutral and marvel at all the stylised violence.

I enjoy Tarantino Movies. I may see it for no other reason than this

In essence. What made Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction so awesome was the escape from your typical characterization. He took sociopaths with questionable morals and made them likable. He blurred the line of what a traditional protagonist was supposed to be like. Not to mention dialogue that was more reserved for comedy and not everyday musings in between bloodshed.

Since then he dwindled off into the art of violence hyperbole. Like the Kill Bill series. Styled as an Anime without the Anime.

Well its different, if only because you don't get the imediate impression that teh Germans are the bad guys in this particular story.

Reservoir Dogs was superb. Pulp Fiction was clever, witty, amusing and fun to watch.

However, shortly after that Tarantino disappeared up his own arse, or started believing the press bullshit about himself, or maybe the Fun Lovin Criminals sampling him at every opportunity was enough. Whatever happened, since then his movies have only contained brief glimpses (if that) of the brilliance that marked out those first couple of films as something special.

However, I'm not going to judge this film 'til I've seen it.

Nein nein nein nein nein nein nein!

I've seen:

Pulp Fiction. Excellent movie. Dialogue and characters: quirky, unique, likeable. Bantering is compelling and not yet a self-parody. One of very few movies to successfully use Tarantino-time (ie. constant time jumps). Shows John Travolta in his prime, before he went batshit.

Kill Bill volume 1. Likeable. Watchable. Not boring - is interesting as example of how exaggerated a style can be. Opening fight in the house is by far the best in the movie. Anime combat later is predictable, uncreative - dead horses are beaten. Tarantino is apparently otaku.

Mental note: View Reservoir Dogs.

Enjay said:

However, shortly after that Tarantino disappeared up his own arse, or started believing the press bullshit about himself, or maybe the Fun Lovin Criminals sampling him at every opportunity was enough. Whatever happened, since then his movies have only contained brief glimpses (if that) of the brilliance that marked out those first couple of films as something special.

However, I'm not going to judge this film 'til I've seen it.

What about Jackie Brown? I thought that one was really fantastic. I agree that Kill Bill was a drop in quality and I didn't like Death Proof at all, but I really liked Jackie Brown.

udderdude said:

This is beyond poor taste.

Seems to me like that's the point.

Honestly, what's wrong with a movie that doesn't depict the Allies as knights in shining armor who can do no wrong? I think we've seen plenty of movies like that already. It's far more realistic to make both sides reprehensible. Such is the nature of war.

double post lol

Seems interesting, once I considered it. At first it just seemed like another not this shit again moment. Then I realized this is Tarantino's war movie I've been hearing about for the last 3 years, then I realized that it could have some potential. It might be halfway decent, and probably inflammatory seeing the Allies portrayed as sadistic bastards, just as all the Germans have been portrayed for 60+ years. Problem is, I find Brad Pitt to be a terrible actor who ruins every movie I see him in. It doesn't help that of all the movies I've seen him in, the only decent one was Snatch, and it would've been better without him. I'll probably see this, just to see what Tarantino does with it, I generally like his movies, aside from Jackie Brown, and I never saw the Grindhouse movie he helped out on.

As an aside, Creaphis, you should watch Reservoir Dogs. I'd say it's his best movie, odd that it's his first. Very closely tied with Pulp Fiction, but I'd say Reservoir Dogs has the best dialogue, seems alot more natural.

Jello said:

Problem is, I find Brad Pitt to be a terrible actor who ruins every movie I see him in.

I think I just had a stroke.

Either you had a stroke because you finally found someone who agrees with you, or you disagree completely. He just always seems to play Brad Pitt, he can't turn it off. Every movie he's the exact same, with differing degrees of loudness. Some actors can pull it off, like Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Nicholson, Sam Jackson, they have the personality and screen presence to pull it off. Brad Pitt just comes off as an annoying douche to me.

Aseph said:

I think I just had a stroke.

One of my friends feels exactly the same way Jello feels aout Brad Pitt and movies. I personally don't like him that much as an actor, but I give him credit where I feel it is due (Snatch, for instance). However, It's movies like these that I feel I won't watch because it doens't seem like anything outgoing or intriguin for him to play- this is an American soldier with a souther accent taling about killing nazis, which doesn't seem all that hard to do to me. Granted, I'm probably voting prematurely since I can't juge propely unless I've seen the film, but I feel like it won't be worhtwhile to watch anyways

Fight Club? Seven? Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Ocean's Eleven?

I can see him losing points for shit like Meet Joe Black or The Mexican, but you watch Twelve Monkeys followed by The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and then try to tell me he plays the same character in every movie.

Christ, some people...

But we're getting off topic now.

As far as we know, his role in Inglorious Basterds is just a cameo anyway. No guarantee as far as screen time.

The best worst display of Brad Pitt acting would be "7 Years in Tibet". Worst attempt at trying to be Austrian ever.

Aseph said:

Honestly, what's wrong with a movie that doesn't depict the Allies as knights in shining armor who can do no wrong? I think we've seen plenty of movies like that already. It's far more realistic to make both sides reprehensible. Such is the nature of war.

yeah, screw all the cliches! let's have the badass team leader have an accent possible only with persons whose family tree resembles a DNA helix.

qt is getting increasingly more self-absorbed. all the 'offtopic' dialogues and nonlinear plot were cool at first, but ever since kill bill he pushes it too far just to deliver his trademark features. WOW THE SCENES ORDER IS MIXED UP! YOU'RE SOOO AWESOME, QT!

also, war movie or not, i expect a 15minutes dialogue about toenail painting or toe licking or eva braun (played by uma thurman) putting her bare feet on hitler's desk.

I thought Pitt was pretty good in twelve monkeys.

Kirby said:

I thought when I saw this at the end of the Oscars that it might be a comedy. Now I just want to shoot the movie makers in the head

I watched the ad... it looks just like a comedy. You're telling me it's not?

My avatar is Brad Pitt. The reason for this is that its an image from a Fight Club Poster. I haven't seen many movies with Brad Pitt, so I can't judge, but I liked his performance in Fight Club, which is my favorite movie.

Now, as far as this movie goes, this must be a comedy. I've seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Sin City, Death Proof and Kill Bill Vol 1, 2. I enjoyed every one of them. I hope this movie wont disappoint.

Creaphis said:

Kill Bill volume 1. Likeable. Watchable. Not boring - is interesting as example of how exaggerated a style can be. Opening fight in the house is by far the best in the movie. Anime combat later is predictable, uncreative - dead horses are beaten. Tarantino is apparently otaku.

Watch Shurayukihime and forget about Kill Bill.

Aseph said:

What about Jackie Brown?

For me, Jackie Brown was where the rot really started. I found it a dull, pale imitation of his earlier works. All the ingredients were there but, I dunno, it really didn't work for me at all. Sorry.

Death Proof might have been better if it was shorter. About an hour shorter, actually.

Only good thing about it was a local cheese-metal band round my way did a song about it.

EDIT: *Actually watches trailer*
Oh, right, i thought the guy in the thumbnail was meant to be Mussolini.

This also sounds like the story "V for Vengeance" that was in the story-paper The Wizard in the 40's and 50's, only with the outlandish nature of the heroes (grey suits, grey hats, expressionless grey masks) removed and gore and swearing, and probably a few bouncing titties, added.

deathbringer said:

This also sounds like the story "V for Vengeance" that was in the story-paper The Wizard in the 40's and 50's, only with the outlandish nature of the heroes (grey suits, grey hats, expressionless grey masks) removed and gore and swearing, and probably a few bouncing titties, added.

Considering Quentin Tarentino's history of ripping off obscure films and what-not...that's probably true.