Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

Doom and FPS in general in latest German magazine Retro (Go64! succsesor)

Heh I always wondered what's the story with that second marine appearing in the background of this pic. A hint to multiplayer/coop, part of a different storyline, or just artistic license?

Artistic license, I would suppose.

If I were to attempt to explain it with the game story... I would say that because the game takes place where you (the Doomguy) are the only survivor left, the poster depicts events directly prior to the game. Given that you are dropped off at the Hangar with only a pistol, neither of the two space marines in the poster are the player, but rather part of another patrol that was eventually killed.

(Yes, I'm kind of bored)

I'd say it's due to multiplayer, and Punchatz may have used the Doom Bible as a base for his work, which has a strong emphasis on multiplayer. It's clear the logo (which Punchatz also drew) was done early on, during the alphas, so it's likely the title art was ready, or well under way, during approximately the same period.

As a side note, look how similar the guy on the cover art is to the game sprite. They were drawn by two different artists (Punchatz and Carmack), so one must be based on the other.

myk said:

As a side note, look how similar the guy on the cover art is to the game sprite.

You're referring to the one on the background?

The doom guy in the cover art looks like he kinda left his hand out for that one monster to grab. Surely it's not that hard to keep your hand from being extended to it's maximum length as to attempt to give that monster a high five.

JohnnyRancid said:

The doom guy in the cover art looks like he kinda left his hand out for that one monster to grab. Surely it's not that hard to keep your hand from being extended to it's maximum length as to attempt to give that monster a high five.

lol yeah, and the Baron seems to be telling him "come here and join the fun".