Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

tiling high resolution sky pictures

I made high resolution sky pictures. One of them has 4 patches. Each is 1024x512 pixels. But when I put them in my pwad and start doom2 (in Zdoom) it only displays the first patch in the game (eventhough I adjusted the texture size accordingly).

When I tile the low resolution versions it works perfectly though.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

How did you do it? Keep in mind when you replace textures with hires versions you need to replace the entire texture, not the single patches.

I am not sure what oyu mean. I indeed replaced the patches, which works for low resolutions, but how do I replace the texture itself?

thanks for the help (again :-))

For glboom-plus (2.5.0.2+) you can put any texture resource in any format (png, jpg, bmp, gif, tga, pcx) between HI_START and HI_END markers.

HI_START
SKY1
TITLEPIC
CEIL1_1
BOSSC2C8
HI_END

... and the same method will work in both ZDoom and GZDoom too. But only for PNG, JPG, TGA and PCX. I still would like to add GIF support but all the GIF code I found so far was a complete mess to use.

@ Graf Zahl:
I still can't get it to work. It's probably really simple to fix, but I'm missing something. Can I send you the wad so you can look at it?

BTW: they are high resolution versions of the Plutonia skies... maybe that is more difficult?

If I understood correctly, it's got to be one picture in one of the supported file formats, named like the texture (such as SKY1), placed between the markers. Is that what you tried?

Plutonia uses some multi-patch skies. To replace those with equivalents (as was your plan), I suppose you'd need to make one long graphic (like sky1.jpg) combining the patches together.

esselfortium said:
O_O What wad is this?

I'm guessing it's something Eternal is working on.

Yes I replaced all the separate patches and put them between the markers, assuming that is how Plutonia would read it.

I can make one long texture and adjust the TEXTURE lump. Hopefully that will work...

I'll try it tonight. This taking much more time then I thought it would :-)

t.v. said:

I can make one long texture and adjust the TEXTURE lump. Hopefully that will work...

There is no necessity to touch TEXTURE lump at all. Forget about patches. Just made sky1.png, sky2.png and sky3.png with any sizes and proportions, but in game their proportions will be cast (stretched) to ratio from TEXTURE lump (2x1 (256x128) for sky1, 8x1 (1024x128) for sky2, 4x1 (512x128) for sky3).

Example: http://prboom-plus.sf.net/pl2_sky.zip

Still didn't work :-(

I made the long skies and put them between the HI markers.
My pwad has no TEXTURE lump.

SKY1.pcx 1024x512
SKY2.pcx 4096x512
SKY3.pcx 2048x512

(I used pcx because png resulted in quality loss.)

Sky1 looks good, but that's logical since it only had 1 patch to begin with.
Sky2 is not scaled in game and thus looks pixilated.
Sky3 is scaled properly but only the 1st half (what used to be the first patch) is displayed.

[edit]Can anyone please look at the file and tell me what's wrong?[/edit]

t.v. said:

I used pcx because png resulted in quality loss

What? Png is lossless format.

t.v. said:

Sky1 looks good, but that's logical since it only had 1 patch to begin with.
Sky2 is not scaled in game and thus looks pixilated.
Sky3 is scaled properly but only the 1st half (what used to be the first patch) is displayed.

Send me your skies for pl2 (andrey.budko gmail.com)

It lost quality when I put in the wad with XWE. But pcx should work too right? Anyway: I just uploaded my file in my previous post. If you want please look at it...

t.v. said:

It lost quality when I put in the wad with XWE.

With "Load Raw Data"?

t.v. said:

I just uploaded my file in my previous post. If you want please look at it...

Sky1\2\3 lumps are not in pcx format there. Try to use Main menu\Entry\Load (raw data) in XWE or attach your skies

t.v. said:

@ entryway:

I e-mailed you the pictures :-)

Why they are 8bit? I thought you want real 24bit hires.

pwad with 8-bit "hireses":
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/pl2_sky-e.zip

The latest glboom-plus:
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/prboom-plus-2.5.0.2.test-win32.zip
Internal hireses are enabled by default (Options\General\Texture Options\Enable Internal Hi-Res)

Also I think there is no necessity for making textures bigger than 2048. Most of non modern hardware has GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048. And most of screen resolutions are lower than 2048. So, just no sense.

aaarhg... indeed they are 8bit and look bad. Don't know how this happened :-(. I'll check again tomorrow...

sorry for all the inconveniece :-/