Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Mindless Death

The mindless games network have an announcement on their forums stating that the network is being shut down. No reason is being given at this point but Phoebus is hoping that someone will buy the network and servers and keep it running.

That's no good :(

I use both forums and hopefully NewDoom can remain afloat by some means.

I talked to Phoebus just before he announced this. He has been at it for 13 years and he feels it's time for him to move on. Anyhow, I've been a mod / admin / newsie on there since 2000 and have no regrets. So that's nine years of it for me and I can certainly understand why he would want to move on at this point. Anyhow what happens next remains to be seen. I'm certainly a bit sad about it all but life goes on and everything changes eventually.

Wow, I mean holy crap

I'm at a loss for words, I was a regular at NewDoom for a long while so it saddens me to hear about this. I hope someone will take over and continue it. If not... I guess Doomworld will be getting large number of new members :)

Xtife said:

I guess Doomworld will be getting large number of new members :)

Doubt it. Most people who are on newdoom that aren't on DW have already been here and got banned. :p

So I suppose this will make Doomworld the sole website for Doom related information unless someone buys NewDoom.com to keep it running after June 1st.

Doom Dude, what are you and Grimlock going to do if NewDoom closes for good?

You mean general news website, because there are many other Doom-related sites on the net. But it wouldn't be the only one, as Planetdoom also does Doom news. It concentrates mainly on DOOM 3+ but has some occasional DOOM and DOOM II news (there are two news items of this sort on their front page, currently).

Mr. Chris said:

So I suppose this will make Doomworld the sole website for Doom related information unless someone buys NewDoom.com to keep it running after June 1st.

Doom Dude, what are you and Grimlock going to do if NewDoom closes for good?

I can't speak for Grimlock but if Newdoom closes for good, I'll still be around somewhere. I need a break anyways from doing the whole moderator and news thing as I've barely missed a day since I started. I will certainly continue to visit Doomworld and check out what projects and things are going on in the community. I will find somewhere to roost and will still be around that's for sure. I still have a megawad to finish off and definitely will be doing that. Right now I figure it's time to sip back on some beer and not worry about things.

Doom Dude said:

I can't speak for Grimlock but if Newdoom closes for good, I'll still be around somewhere. I need a break anyways from doing the whole moderator and news thing as I've barely missed a day since I started. I will certainly continue to visit Doomworld and check out what projects and things are going on in the community. I will find somewhere to roost and will still be around that's for sure. I still have a megawad to finish off and definitely will be doing that. Right now I figure it's time to sip back on some beer and not worry about things.

Does this also mean you will be more active with your doom projects *coughvilecore2cough*

Yes Dutch, I definitely will be finishing off Vilecore 2. No way can I let that die. ;) Just need a few more years... haha.

myk said:

You mean general news website, because there are many other Doom-related sites on the net. But it wouldn't be the only one, as Planetdoom also does Doom news. It concentrates mainly on DOOM 3+ but has some occasional DOOM and DOOM II news (there are two news items of this sort on their front page, currently).

Maybe I meant major Doom site..

Dang. I almost never surfed newdoom.com and that's exactly why I want it to still be around. I prefer to imagine Doomworld as the tip of an iceberg, with a vast Doom community hidden from my view all about the internet. If, instead, I'm not frequenting a Doom site but the, well, then that's kind of even more pathetic.

While the loss of Newdoom itself is bad, the loss of the hosted sites is probably even worse... I take it that Doomworld will be able to provide a home for any projects to be left homeless by this move...

Isn't the Doomsday AKA jDoom/Hexen/Heretic hosted on its own space? Besides that, the hosted stuff listed here will likely relocate somewhere else or here.

Best of luck finding a new home for the engine, DaniJ and co.

Speaking of those who were banned from here and are now on ND for the time being, have the mods considered welcoming back users for a second chance that have NOT been overly pretentious/stupid/offending/etc if and when NewDoom closes its doors?

I can't speak for the admins. But as I've understood it. Those who have been banned are banned for a reason.

This is bad news indeed. Even though I've never registered on newdoom, I still occasionally lurked their forums (compared to DW which I look at pretty much at least once a day) and found some good stuff on there. Speaking of which, the NDCP 2 was released.

Correction: NDCP2 is nearly released, just fixing it up at the moment. It is sad news about Newdoom, at least it will go out with a big bang with the release of NDCP2.

Aha change of plan.. I've been talking with Phoebus and the forums are being saved and moved to a new server. So the forums will live on....

His message on the newdoom and raven forums...

Thanks for all the offers to take over the forums, but that won't be necessary.

The plan is to keep them going on another server (same domain/URL), beyond June 1st, for as long as the community can't do without them.

Thanks for your support!

Any hosted sites will have to find new homes. Not sure what I will do with my site... have some ideas tho. heh. :p The news pages are being abandoned... at the end of this month I will stop posting news on the MGE and Raven sites and will post Doom news up until the move.

I found out about NewDoom after the Legacy homepage shifted there from frag.com. To think of all the wasted hours I spent there and now here on DW...

kristus said:

I can't speak for the admins. But as I've understood it. Those who have been banned are banned for a reason.

No doubt. Quite frankly, if you use common sense, you won't have any trouble here.

Well, its nice to know the forums are being saved. Too bad the same can't be said for the hosted sites and the news section. All good things come to an end.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Well, its nice to know the forums are being saved. Too bad the same can't be said for the hosted sites and the news section. All good things come to an end.

I may be doing something to continue the news section but not as a newdoom main page. I want change anyhow and I have time to think about it between now and June. Thanks for everybody's concern in this thread and such. I think that the Doom community really is the best.