Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

WAD Realease - The UAC Rebellion

deathbringer said:

Heh, the story to my wad i'm working on is just gonna be something like "The UAC have opened a gate to hell for the 10th time now. You're fed up of bailing them out so instead of going to their base you head back to the space-port to blast off for home and have a cup of tea"

Man that wad sounds awesome. 32 action packed levels of you walking away from the UAC. Every level will be crammed with no monsters, on account of you left them behind. There will be no weapons, no health, no powerups, no ammo, and no corpses.

You know you want it!!

On a serious note, I like the screenies that have been posted here. Looks very action packed. The only thing I would say is be careful not to get so wrapped up in all the new ideas and sprites that the "old" things get neglected. In a couple of places, I just felt the areas could use a few more details scattered around.

Great work tho. It looks like a lot of fun, am looking forward to playing it. Keep up the good work..!!

I changed the shotgun's perspective to be as close to the center as I could make it.

I'll try to get all the perspectives right. Now, the guy really does shoot exactly towards the crosshair.

I really hate off center weapons. I'm not bothered by the fact that it's pointed at the center or whatever, but weapons coming out from the corner kinda just looks like it wants to show off the gun, but the holder is not making any effort to aim the weapon at all. Whenever I hold a gun, I try to center it as much as possible (without the recoil knocking out my teeth of course) to use the gun as a reticle to shoot my target.

In doom, the guns being centered acts as its own crosshair, which makes crosshairs in source ports obsolete and unnecessary in my opinion. Especially since you need to use the barrel of the gun to aim your fire arm without a crosshair being tattooed on your eyes like it is in most modern games.

Oh and the gun being ripped right out of Duke Nukem bothers me too. What's Duke Nukem's shotgun got that makes it better than the Doom shotgun?

Well, don't get me wrong here - I love the old doom weapons. But, at the same time, variety is good.

The Duke shotgun looks fine, but the doom shotgun looks like a toy (because it is one, lol). They took pictures of a gun from Toys R Us. It's just something different to use in it's place that still looks professionally done (as opposed to some weapon mods I see around).

But, like I said before, I'm going to include another wad in the .zip that has centered weapons. So, there's nothing to worry about =]

I released this wad a few months ago on some other Doom forums, and I figured it would be wrong not to post it here too :D.

The UAC Rebellion

The Story - "You are a normal marine, no more important than the rest. You've worked at the UAC for years now, and have had time to learn about what all of their funds go to. They research inter-dimensional travel and genetic alterations.
However, the UAC, as you have recently learned, is corrupt. They let it be known that experiments are only done on willing individuals, but that isn't true: one of your fellows was reported as "mysteriously missing" and never found again. One night, at your workstation, you decide that these corrupt bastards are going down. It's going to be a tough fight, but you have to kill a few to save many."
(It's just a doom wad story. don't mind the millions of plot holes =p)

There are some new monsters in this wad to go along with the 'storyline', including:

Guard Dogs
Marines (Pistol, Shotgun, chaingun, Plasma)
Zombies (Rifle, Rocket Launcher, chaingun)
New Hellspawn (The Virtualdemon, Toxic Caco's, Hell Knights, and altered lost souls)

and without further ado, screenshots!

*Marines will almost never stand in nukage or lava, only zombies. Which makes sense.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.filesavr.com/uacrebellion

Have fun killing!

Brandon D. Lade said:

I just uploaded it (in zip format).

You shouldn't upload other peoples' wads to the archives without their express permission.

esselfortium said:

You shouldn't upload other peoples' wads to the archives without their express permission.

The person above said that someone should upload it! Also, I have done this MANY times before. If they care, they simply send in a note and the wad gets removed. No harm done; no big deal.

If you are really strongly against it, you can either ask for express permission or upload a note to Ty explaining what you object to. I, however, will not be available to see what is going on for roughly the next 15-17 hours. (I have to sleep and then I've got lots of personal business).

EDIT: Note that Creaphis is right: Distribution is allowed in the text file. So now I really see no problem.

...On a completely unrelated note, these levels are actually pretty fun.

Only on map03 so far but this is really good fun. It's pretty much exactly the kind of mod I like to play.

There is a minor problem though. Sometimes when you gib one of your marine enemies, an error message is printed to the screen.

"Jump target 'AltSkinXDeath' not found in ShotgunGuy"

There is also this error message at the console when you start up.

"Invalid data encountered for texture uacrbln.zip:UACrebellion.wad:TEXTURE1"

Both of these errors occur with the latest Zdoom and GZdoom.

Brandon D. Lade said:

I just uploaded it (in zip format).

It would have been common courtesty to let Doomkid92 upload it himself, as its HIS PROJECT.

rf` said:

It would have been common courtesty to let Doomkid92 upload it himself, as its HIS PROJECT.

If someone doesn't upload their own wad(s), I will quite often upload it myself, as long as permission to distribute is granted.

I'm on the sixth map now and this really is pretty fun. Of course it isn't a new Scythe 2 or something, but the maps are solid, pure fun. Especially map05 was great...it's interesting to see how Doom "works" when most of the enemies are tougher hitscanners.

Thanks for the good feedback :D

Yeah, there are a few small bugs I have seen, but thankfully there isn't anything that gets in the way of it being played.

I got to about Map09 or Map10 earlier when I had to go somewhere, so I haven't finished it entirely yet. But I'll tell you one thing, these maps were fun as Hell. Seriously, I had such a great time blasting through them. I have, however, developed a new found hatred for hitscanners. ;)

A very fun wad, the appearence of the rocket zombies have in MAP02 have gotten on my nerves as there appears to be no way to not get damaged by them in the narrow corridors, when it takes three close range shotgun blasts to down them, but that is my only complaint so far.

Not bad but there's a few things that bothered me:

1. Nearly all doors go straight to the ceiling of the neighboring sectors which looks a bit odd. Having a small sector between the door and the corridors/rooms they connect normally looks much better.

2. Apparently the Lost Souls were set to clear the COUNTKILL flag. As a result they don't work 100% correctly in ZDoom because this flag defines proper monster behavior. Originally Lost Souls didn't have this flag because Doom2.exe does not have a working monster counter and for some reason this got transferred here. It's most noticable when using the 'kill monsters' cheat because they won't get killed.

(BTW, it's a bit odd to see a DEHACKED based mod that appears to be designed for ZDoom. I haven't encountered one of these in a long time... ;))

Brandon: Are you incapable of going out on a limb to play wads that look interesting to you? Do you really need the input of some vague (and frequently protested) voting feature on the archive to determine if a wad is enjoyable to you? I doubt that a public rating system is a valid method of determining a wad's merits.

Doomkid: Nice project! I left you some of my comments on the ZDaemon forums a while ago. This is a nice change up from most common Doom wads. The whole thing has a nice flavor with the evil marines. I like the "realistic" bits depicted in the large variety of UAC bases. I recommend that folks play this one!

Hmm, wasn't there a wad somewhere in this thread? Oh yeah, I played the first 3 maps or so and quite like it, fun unique and not too easy imo. I like how some of the hitscanners have high pitched sounds like smurfs or something. Will play the rest later.

gggmork said:

Hmm, wasn't there a wad somewhere in this thread?

*grabs a shovel*

Found it!!

I gotta say, this is very enjoyable stuff. I haven't finished it yet, but that will come. If I had to pick one quality that draws me to a mapset, it is 'immersion' and this mapset just oozes atmosphere. Perhaps some of the texturing and architecture could have been done better, but I will forgive an awful lot if a wad really draws me into its little universe. And these levels have done a pretty good job of that.

nice work. MOAR!!

Jesus fuck, can a mod please flush the off-topic bullshit down the toilet?

Anyway, I tried this map out and it's pretty cool. The amount of hitscan guys keeps you on your toes. The marines had the problem that I find with a lot of these mods, though, and that's that they seem like regular zombies. They lumber around slowly and randomly, infighting occurs, etc.

The sound effects used for the marines were not very good. Some of them grunt like zombies. Some of them have no alert sounds. Some of them grunt like the marine when he's in pain. It's just out of place. I'd reccomend using the guard sound effects from Strife. In fact, Strife has some other cool stuff for a mod like this (Big mechanical walkers, etc).

This map actually gives me an idea for storming a UAC base that would be somewhat realistic, meaning the marines would not wander around like zombies. They would attempt to ambush you (Think lights go out, marines storm the room kind of thing). Also, they would move significantly faster than the slowpoke zombies.

Graf Zahl said:
Not bad but there's a few things that bothered me..

Yeah, I will do the doors a bit differently next time, and I have no idea why i changed the flags for the soul in the first place :p. Thanks for the advice

Kyka said:

this mapset just oozes atmosphere. Perhaps some of the texturing and architecture could have been done better... MOAR!! [/B]

I'll improve on the alignment and such in my future wad projects. (and yes, there will be future projects)

Thank you all for your feedback! I didn't see the mentioned 'garbage' posts but thanks indeed for removing it.

Here begins a fun trip down memory lane - I would like to continue the rest some time! Good times

More maps fun times keeping crosshairs I played a little better this is fun traveling back thru time with mapper

More to come