• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomMaster

Your favortie song in Doom 1 or 2?

Ultimate Doom: E3M3 Deep into the code
Doom 2: Map09: Into Sandy's city

Probably either E3M2 or E2M8 for Doom..
Doom 2 is a split between Map02 and Map18.

I love all the music, however.. so it's hard to choose!

Let's see...

Doom:
E1M1, E1M3, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8
E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, E2M8
E3M3

Doom2:
MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP07
MAP10, MAP18, MAP20, MAP23
MAP25, MAP30

What really caught my ears were the SNES renditions of some of the Doom songs, particularly E1M3 because of the bowed glass instrument patch used in the game, E2M3 (but used E2M2's music) which I also loved, mostly the ocarina and the synth instruments for the track. Last but not least, E2M4 for the main lead string and much later a second, lower string in the last quarter of the song that isn't really present or noticible in the original MIDI file.

In Doom 2 there's a clear line of tracks I like and feel meh about:

RUNNING FROM EVIL: pretty cool, has two sections, unique sounding
THE HEALER STALKS: another good one, very good stealth action music
COUNTDOWN TO DEATH: good for hell-based maps, almost sad
BETWEEN LEVELS: I also like this one; I think of hitscanners when hearing it
DOOM: the start is perhaps the best ever, but then it dissolves into lamentation music. It were better if it didn't just repeat itself 2 more times, only different instruments.
IN THE DARK: nice steady track
SHAWN'S GOT THE SHOTGUN: great for tougher difficulty levels or many-monster fightin', I don't care that the drums are an almost complete ripoff :)
DAVE D. TAYLOR BLUES: I used to find this boring, but I like it now due to its slight blues touch
INTO SANDY'S CITY: proper doomed tone, not bad
THE DEMON'S DEAD: no, this is annoying. Loud and stressed.
WAITING FOR ROMERO TO PLAY: I like this for the soft instruments and the rather Heretic style
MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHVILE: Great weird music
BYE BYE AMERICAN PIE: repetitive, I don't quite like it, even if it's for MAP23
ADRIAN SLEEPS: another repetitive one, this one is also very short, almost featureless
GETTING TOO TENSE: almost panicky, but works for scary final hell maps
OPENING TO HELL: boss soundtrack, nothing real special about it, at least it's not annoying
EVIL INCARNATE: boss sountrack for Wolfenstein 3d Spear of Destiny. Now I associate it with the Wolf3d-Doom connection. Catchy
ULTIMATE CHALLENGE/ULTIMATE CONQUEST: boss soundtrack for Wolfenstein 3d. Funny boss music, but too simplistic for large Doom 2 maps.

Speaking of the SNES Doom tracks again, does anyone find a few of the songs from it to be better than the PC version? (Putting the mediocre drums aside)

Doom - E1M1, E3M1, E1M8, E1M5 and E1M9
Doom 2 - MAP28, MAP09, MAP07, MAP04 and Read Me

I'm surprised E2M3 (intermission) got almost no mentions, it's right after E1M1 for me when I think of Doom.

Doom II music.. eh. I dunno, Map07 I guess, but they're all generally uninteresting ripoffs.

Mr. Chris said:

Speaking of the SNES Doom tracks again, does anyone find a few of the songs from it to be better than the PC version? (Putting the mediocre drums aside)

It gives the songs a different look. E1M1 sounds like it's being played by an orchestra instead of a guitar. E2M3 (originally E2M2) and E2M8 sound a lot better as well.

I love the whole soundtrack of Doom, and that includes all the console ports (Yes, even the 32X version). Bobby Prince and Aubrey Hodges (PlayStation Doom composer) did a perfect job in placing each song in the correct level.