Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chexwarrior

Mouse Look: Do you use it?

I'm curious, who uses mouse look and who doesn't? What are your feelings on it?

And to the mappers out there, do you take mouse look into account when making a level?

I've tried it in the past and I just don't like it. It seems in some levels it really doesn't help and in some (Icon of Sin) it destroys the entire challenge of the level.

Mouselook without autoaim. As for mapping, well I guess when you're used to mouselook you might add a bit more detail to places you wouldn't normally see, but other than that if you're mapping for a port that doesn't support for mouselook you should always assume that the player isn't using it.

I use mouselook without autoaim, especially if I'm playing a coop with team damage on. This way I can shoot over people's heads easier without accidentally killing them.

I don't use mouselook when I play a Doom engine game myself. It's look up and down key's on the keyboard for me. I also keep autoaim on.

I use mouselook too, gives it a more fast-paced feel. I've also found that it doesnt ruin the challenge of near as many levels as Jumping does.

I do use mouse-look, but not very often. I like being able to look down over sheer ledges, or up at the ceiling. Since most maps probably aren't designed with mouse-look in mind, I don't mind noticing some strangeness. Even though I don't depend on it much, I still think it's a very nice feature.

I use mouselook on new-school CTF / FFA / duel games on ZDaemon, and on ZDoom-specific wads like The Ultimate Torment and Torture.
But I'm more used to old-school settings ( no mouselook ).

I use mouselook for single player and cooperative. However, I don't mouselook when playing deathmatch or capture the flag. I seem to be more accurate without it against human opponents who move very quickly and generally fight you on level terrain. Monsters, on the other hand, tend to move slower and sling fireballs from ledges which makes them easy targets when I use mouselook.

This one falls into the "does it break Doom?" category for me. I generally try to avoid it for legacy (aka vanilla-only levels), but in general mouselook alone aids a lot in aiming at things or even just appreciating the architecture.

Regarding autoaim, I find that disabling it completely doesn't work as well on Doom as it does on more modern shooters: unless I keep my eyes fixed on the dot, I tend to miss things a lot (in particular, I underestimate weapon elevation a lot) and can't aim as instinctively as I can in full 3D shooters like Quake 3, BF1942 etc, where after a while you don't really need the dot.

I think it has something to do with the body of the weapon not being 3D/on the side of the screen/lacking perspective, and in general being too far off with the actual shooting vector, when used with no autoaim.

The result? When aiming instinctively the weapon's body seems to suggest one aiming direction, while the dot points at another (and in general the body seems to be pointing higher than where you actually shoot, resulting in clamorous misses). Just my 2c.

I usually play GZdoom, Zdoom and quite often Risen3D. I always mouselook in those ports.

When I map these days, I usually map with those ports in mind too. I don't so much set things up with the intention of providing areas that will force the player to MLook but rather simply don't consider that a player will not be Mlooking in the map. So I don't avoid making things that will be awkward without Mlooking. Which is not quite the same as intentionally making things that require Mlook.

Personally, I don't particularly enjoy playing as the original welded-neck Doomguy anymore and that's one of the things that I find frustrating about the "pure" ports.

As for Breaking the Icon of sin (etc) - I couldn't give a toss. I played that map and beat it over a decade ago. I really don't care if MLooking makes it easier for me 15 years later on attempt 1138 or whatever it is. I have more fun with MLook than I do without it.

I don't literally use the mouse, but I always use delete/end/pgdn to look around vertically if that's an option.

Mouselook for me. No autoaim if it is a port that allows you to look vertically, but in prboom I use mouselook. In vanilla doom (chocolate doom) I am a keyboard-only player.

I mouselook a lot in Legacy and appreciate having a key for just that purpose - handy for sniping and lobbing rockets at enemies that are outside autoaim range.

I swear by mouselook - considering I turn autoaim completely off (got tired of it shooting at the wrong things, targets that I did not consider a priority). I have more faith in my own ability to aim properly than in the game's ability to compensate for lack of such. Though that's not saying much; I actually don't consider myself that great a shot, and tend to waste half my ammo trying to hit dodging monsters and zombies that are not even sticking out one pixel worth of flesh to snipe off...

Lüt said:

I don't literally use the mouse, but I always use delete/end/pgdn to look around vertically if that's an option.

That reminds me, the last major Dooming attempt I completed as a keyboarder was Absolution, which I played just like I had played Heretic almost a decade ago: arrow keys, Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Space keys, and PgUp/PgDown/End/Delete for the occasional looking around.

The last IWAD I started playing as a keyboarder (including occasional mouselook keylook) was HR, but I reverted to mouse controls halfway through it and haven't looked back ever since. Which was weird, because I found it normal to use WASD + mouse in any other FPS but Doom.

Eh I've always hated mice in FPS games - they just belong in 2D desktop apps (or other point-and-click adventures). Console gaming came long before PC gaming for me though, but it is strange that people who began with a KB/Mouse combo wouldn't carry it to Doom. I'll have to keep an eye on you O_o

Virtually never use up/down mouselook, and never use crosshair either when playing doom.

The only exceptions to this is sometimes when I am playing really 'newschool' wads like KDiZD or a few really pimped ZDoom levels, because they seem better suited to mouselook.

But for anything else, nuhuh.

Using even vanilla Doom's ability to reserve strafing slots for keyboards.

printz said:

Using even vanilla Doom's ability to reserve strafing slots for keyboards.

I know that, but tapping the turn button on top of strafing to a loop around a given target has gotta be a pain in the arse.

TheeXile said:

How the feck are you supposed to circle strafe properly without mouse look?

Ever played PSX Doom?

I usually just use pg up and pg down and end to center my view. On my computer, mouse look runs at a crawl