Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

If you jizz over visuals and don't care about gameplay you can, since screenshots are basically what you're playing the map for. Also you can look at room shapes and if there is an automap, layout and get a good idea of whether or not you'd like the map.

If someone showed me a hallway clusterfuck layout and a bunch of screenshots that were squares with stuff in the middle of them for rooms I could safely say I wouldn't enjoy the map.

Are you implying I don't care for gameplay or just talking in general?

By the way, it makes me wonder how did a single comment I made two weeks ago suddenly became a subject that apparently needs so many explainations. Like it's really that important to even bring it up.

I'm implying that just because it looks cool on screenshots doesn't mean that it would automatically mean that when released, it'll be the best thing ever, or as you put it, the best hell something, whatever. There's a bunch of really cool looking maps in released version of dv2 that are just plain stupid in gameplay department, and I for one think that gameplay is the thing that kept doom2 alive for the past two decades so the coolness just gets more or less wasted. So there.

Touchdown said:

By the way, it makes me wonder how did a single comment I made two weeks ago suddenly became a subject that apparently needs so many explainations. Like it's really that important to even bring it up.

I didn't look at dates and thought it's recent. Got me there.

I was actually asking Tarnsman but as far as your comments go... I still don't get it why are we even still talking about this. I said what I said, no one has to agree with that.

So let me explain it once again. When I said 'best Hell episode', I DID mean the visual aspect of it (theme and architecture), not gameplay. As in "visually it's right up my alley". As far as gameplay goes, like I said, I like DVI/II gameplay so I'll probably like SE gameplay as well. Just because you think it's stupid, doesn't mean that I share that opinion.

I like DVI/II gameplay/architecture. I like the new shots. So I think it'll be great FOR ME. Fair enough?

Actually, author of the wad thought it was stupid as well because those maps I found stupid supposedly ended up getting deleted. Joke's on you.

And yeah, I wanted to hear exactly what you said, using exactly that sentence structure. It's still barely making any sense, but hey.

I see you're very concerned about 'winning' this argument. Apparently accepting that someone has a different opinion is too much. Ok, you win.

I'm not really having an argument. I'm just taking the piss, hoping to hear some laughably bizzare ways somebody would defend these "opinions", even though nothing I brought up primarily was actually matter of opinion. I was hoping for something more ridiculous though, to be honest, but this'll have to do.

I can sometimes correctly determine whether I'll like the wad or not based on a few pictures.

j4rio said:

I'm not really having an argument. I'm just taking the piss, hoping to hear some laughably bizzare ways somebody would defend these "opinions", even though nothing I brought up primarily was actually matter of opinion. I was hoping for something more ridiculous though, to be honest, but this'll have to do.

All this sounds like "I was bored so I said something contrary for the sake of being contrary".

Considering DV1 and DV2 have some of the best hell maps ever made, I have expectations similar to Touchdown's.

^ These discussions never lead to different conclusions, ever. I'm sure at least a dozen (mostly involving Phml, heh) could be dug up.

I also do have high expectations, I'm really glad for some development decisions, especially that some maps were removed.

Memfis said:

I can sometimes correctly determine whether I'll like the wad or not based on a few pictures.

I can't. Unless some clue is present, like you know who map author is beforehand. Even that could be misleading.

Me neither. A map could look cool and the layout could look fun, but then the gameplay could be like the first few maps of darken2 or unholy realms.

I haven't heard of any maps being removed unless you guys have some inside info not shared in this thread. All I've heard was that some were modified.

Seems like I see tons of people slagging on Unholy Realms's gameplay, and I dunno, it was pretty fun for me all the way through. I didn't pistol start though, nor play on UV.

I would rather a map look awesome and be subpar in the gameplay department, because absolute worst case scenario I have to iddqd through it and I still consider that worth my time if the map is beautiful, whereas a visual turd isn't something that I consider worth my time even if the gameplay is sublime.

j4rio said:

How can you even form an opinion about overall map quality based on a bunch of pictures?

jerrysheppy said:

Seems like I see tons of people slagging on Unholy Realms's gameplay, and I dunno, it was pretty fun for me all the way through. I didn't pistol start though, nor play on UV.

I would rather a map look awesome and be subpar in the gameplay department, because absolute worst case scenario I have to iddqd through it and I still consider that worth my time if the map is beautiful, whereas a visual turd isn't something that I consider worth my time even if the gameplay is sublime.

I'm the opposite. I have a decent computer so that I can play new AAA games that look amazing. I still play doom for the gameplay, and will always forgive the visuals.

"Oh, nothin' much going on, I just happen to be working on Deus Vult II again after five years la la la."

Those shots look great :)

36 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I wonder how many other people are like, "Nah, 'sjust some rando necrobumping the DV2 thread..."

It's me, I did this

This is absurd, never did I think we'd land in the timeline where Deus Vult II was back in development

it's a good timeline to be fair

(also if this could happen for insane_gazebo and sunder, i wouldnt be complaining!)

Huge surprise! Excited to know there would be even more variety.