Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

Sounds good, though I'll probably stick to HMP anyway, you never know what awaits on UV sometimes :D.

E: Or wait, is that for the current DVII, not SE? 

If you're going to have easier maps to start, I hope at least they will be bloodbaths.

As a huge fan of DV and DVII-i I feel torn and uncertain whether I want to jump around the room from the excitement that you're posting updates again... or make sarcastic comments that you're probably gonna disappear again soon for another five years. For now I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Your E1 shots look pretty damn good.

I'm confused, is DVII Second Edition a Doom 2 or UDoom WAD? 

Edited by Poncho1

11 minutes ago, Poncho1 said:

I'm confused, is DVII Second Edition a Doom 2 of UDoom WAD? 

It's a Doom2 PWAD.

Map01 to Map06 is my E1, just in time for the 6-7 intermission.

50 minutes ago, Doom Marine said:

It's a Doom2 PWAD.

Map01 to Map06 is my E1, just in time for the 6-7 intermission.

Oh, you're making it properly episodic? Cool!

Is it gonna be 5 episodes @ 6 maps each? Or did you have something else in mind? Also, what sort of themes are you planning for the episodes?

Those screens above look awesome btw! Hopefully you won't hit the linedef limit on any maps like Sunder did...

8 hours ago, Polri said:

Will the stargate level be a part of this episode?

No, Stargate is part of another arc... all my E1s are originals.

That's very ornate for an e1-inspired automap, i wonder how much of the entire layout is navigable. The DVII-1 was very varied in terms of themes and style of gameplay (even though unfinished), and now that there's a set of levels congruent in theme, would you plan on continue to tie everything up in episodes? Regardless, screenshots look sweet. The only thing that seems off to me: Earth in the skybox is of higher than everything resolution.

5 hours ago, Doom Marine said:

A part of me wants to share, a part of me wants to keep it confidential...

Here's a compromise:

image.png.cce5e8c14f933fd9c32aa825b086277c.png

DVII's E1 is built like the first DV in the sense that it's one big environment split into many smaller ones... but each one should take only around 1-4 min to UV-Max, just like Romero's E1.

Your maps remind me Petri dish art

elin-thomas-felted-petri-dishes-1.jpg

7 hours ago, Doom Marine said:

A part of me wants to share, a part of me wants to keep it confidential...

Here's a compromise:

image.png.cce5e8c14f933fd9c32aa825b086277c.png

DVII's E1 is built like the first DV in the sense that it's one big environment split into many smaller ones... but each one should take only around 1-4 min to UV-Max, just like Romero's E1.

Pretty cool, though I fear that the exact same map will be used in ALL maps for the episode, a bit like Holy Hell, in that it'll potentially inflate the file size.

To be fair, it looks pretty sick. :)

1 hour ago, Poncho1 said:

Pretty cool, though I fear that the exact same map will be used in ALL maps for the episode, a bit like Holy Hell, in that it'll potentially inflate the file size.

To be fair, it looks pretty sick. :)

Fear unfounded. Each map is a separate level created from scratch. See if you can spot E1M1 from the latest screen...

image.png.dc1c5df3f4cf0e32e94ab6fa87d19df6.png

E1M1

1909384703_image(1).png.5dec3e2a5f6615da57a1db1a6af53284.png

Hint: notice the terrain features north of E1M1, and match it above...

Spoiler

20190813_095121.png.14ddfb8362ae1e9b5f53c9ce7e8c0a54.png

Doom_-_DOS_-_Intermission.png.ebc3a5ef7f3293e78ebce6b1d57e20c3.png

One environment, six maps... get it?

There's a few people complaining about the poor quality of the latest shots... it's intentionally obscured to hide the best parts...

I created the maps in sequential order so the improvement is noticeable as the player progresses. E1M1 exceeded my design expectations but the latter maps are even better :)

... just wait til you see E1M6... 

30 minutes ago, Doom Marine said:

Fear unfounded. Each map is a separate level created from scratch. See if you can spot E1M1 from the latest screen...

I think he's saying that the file size will get bloated because each map is basically the content of 6 maps but only uses 1/6 of the each map. To put the example with Holy Hell (or the original Deus Vult for that matter), you have the map content of 5 maps, but the gameplay of only 2 maps (maps 1-4 + 5). Even with that bloat, it shouldn't be a big deal unless you get carried away and copy Sunder's level of detail a little too much... are you planning on hitting the linedef limi?t :P

13 minutes ago, 3saster said:

I think he's saying that the file size will get bloated because each map is basically the content of 6 maps but only uses 1/6 of the each map. To put the example with Holy Hell (or the original Deus Vult for that matter), you have the map content of 5 maps, but the gameplay of only 2 maps (maps 1-4 + 5). Even with that bloat, it shouldn't be a big deal unless you get carried away and copy Sunder's level of detail a little too much... are you planning on hitting the linedef limi?t :P

In this day and age of terabyte storage and 100 GB games, is a few extra megabytes of map data a concern?

Detailing goes against E1's design of letting the architectural clarity define the aesthetics... I find the obsession with hitting the linedef limit weird.

12 minutes ago, Doom Marine said:

In this day and age of terabyte storage and 100 GB games, is a few extra megabytes of map data a concern?

Detailing goes against E1's design of letting the architectural clarity define the aesthetics... I find the obsession with hitting the linedef limit weird.

I think I was just trying to figure out what was meant by bloated, Doom map data takes very little data anyway. Even something massive like Sunder MAP15 only takes 3 MB (and a 20 MB reject table).

As for the linedef limit, I just made that as a joke. I thought you might use a lot more detail in later episodes, and accidently hit the linedef limit like Insane_Gazebo.

Speaking back on DVII, are you planning on releasing each episode as you finish them, or are you gonna wait until you're done and release it all at once?

On 8/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, Doom Marine said:

image.png.dc1c5df3f4cf0e32e94ab6fa87d19df6.png

E1M1

1909384703_image(1).png.5dec3e2a5f6615da57a1db1a6af53284.png

Hint: notice the terrain features north of E1M1, and match it above...

Hide contents

20190813_095121.png.14ddfb8362ae1e9b5f53c9ce7e8c0a54.png

Doom_-_DOS_-_Intermission.png.ebc3a5ef7f3293e78ebce6b1d57e20c3.png

One environment, six maps... get it?

Very impressive!

In this age of AAA design, I believe at the end of the day, Doom's E1 can still inspire.

image.png.fa549d98196b5a3812d9c943dd37f4ac.png

I rebooted my mapping style by tackling the small first. In designing the small things well, it builds the right fundamentals.

Granted, the screenies look fab as usual, it feels like you really dislike some of the maps in the current DVII version. Why the change of heart? The map quality here was way ahead of its time when you unleashed it upon the doom community, and I am sure I am not the only person who feels that way.