Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

Abyssalstudios1 said:

We should start the collection now, in order to give him a full collection by the time it's released.

DONATE OR DIE '10

IT'S FUCKING ON NOW, CHAPS

Unholy motherfuck.

Those screenshots, all of them, look fucking incredible... I really look forward to the new hell levels, hell is DEFO my favorite doom level theme. Can't wait to see the release of this!! Just played through the Original DVII again after seeing this thread to rekindle my anticipation!! gonna be epic. Epic as FUCK. The Mortal Kombat thing sounds pretty rad too.

I kind of like the idea of even having a heaven themed level too actually!

Bumping thread, sorry.

The only thing i hated from the first edition were the custom weapon sounds. I really hope you consider getting rid of those as firing a chaingun becomes very annoying quick.

He's still working on it, but probably doesn't want to unnecessarily bump this thread with pointless posts...

...Wait a sec.

just started mapping it like crazy again. Still some ways to go, I've instructed Mike, Shaikoten, and even Craigs to release whatever they have in hand if I die while making it.

oh yeah, Mr. Freeze doesn't get to play til he hands me my fucking root beer

Wow, these are some of the darkest screens you've made yet, not a bad thing though! Is that a hades sphere in screen 2?!

By the way, have you considered what i said a few posts back? I'll understand if you don't want to compromise your project.

Woah! I'm loving the atmosphere of those shots alot!

Glad to hear you're still working on this classic

Hell's Vendetta said:

The only thing i hated from the first edition were the custom weapon sounds. I really hope you consider getting rid of those as firing a chaingun becomes very annoying quick.

I didn't mind the custom sounds so much as those fucking glasses he has on.

Looks great. I admire how much work you've put into focusing on circular structures and other designs that Doom editors are decidedly non-suited for; the result is pretty unique and really impressive.

Also, I was going to offer this to you in person but I haven't seen you on AIM or IRC for a while. Since you're still mapping, here's a jaggy-rocks texture I made from scratch a couple days ago that I figured you might find useful:

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/esseltex/06.06.10/rocknew-wip3.png (original gray version, best base for edits/recoloring)
http://sl4.poned.com/screens/esseltex/06.06.10/rocknew-red.png (red version 1)
http://sl4.poned.com/screens/esseltex/06.06.10/rocknew-red2.png (red version 2, a bit darker after deciding the first red version might end up looking too garish ingame)

Essel, that rock texture looks great. How long did it take to make it tile? Looks like it would have taken forever. Heh, or at least taken *me* forever.

On topic, Doom Marine, those screens look simply awesome, which will come as a surprise to approximately no one, given the awesomeness of previous work.

This will be neat.

Doom Marine said:

badass pics

Damn these shots are so awesome that I could almost shit in my pants just by looking at them!

Doom Marine, a question. In many of my maps, I get up to, say, 45- 50k sidedefs, and that seems to be the limit for my nodebuilder. I gather you are pushing the limits of your modebuilders. What nodebuilder do you use, and also any hints/tricks to increase the limits of how many linedefs you can put in your maps?

Thanks. :)

prboom-plus 2.5.0.7.test supports DeePBSP v4 Extended nodes (it builds them by default if they are necessary) and ZDoom normal uncompressed nodes ("-X" switch). Thus you are not limited with nodes size at least if you are using (g)zdoom or pr(gl)boom-plus. But IIRC the latest zdbsp release just does not work. You need to compile or ask Graf for binaries.

zdbsp is preferable if your wad should work in software mode, because slimetrails will not appear after zdbsp.

entryway said:

prboom-plus 2.5.0.7.test supports DeePBSP v4 Extended nodes (it builds them by default if they are necessary) and ZDoom normal uncompressed nodes ("-X" switch).

PM'ed you.

entryway said:

But IIRC the latest zdbsp release just does not work. You need to compile or ask Graf for binaries.

zdbsp is preferable if your wad should work in software mode, because slimetrails will not appear after zdbsp.

The ZDBSP I'm working with, came packaged with Doom Builder 2. It seems pretty stable for me, up to the 50k sidedef range. Is there an improvement on this?

Yes. The latest BSP supports an uncompressed extended node format that is currently supported by ZDoom and PrBoom and will most likely be implemented by Eternity, too. This format has full precision vertices which is the reason that slime trails get eliminated for the most part. It also eliminates the seg limit allowing you to go up to 65534 sidedefs which is the hard limit of Doom's map format.

And once you reach that limit, DB2 will automatically compress sidedefs when saving, which can get you a bunch more room to work with, though at the expense of taking quite a bit longer to save.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

These screenshots are some of the most inspired I've seen in my life. Can't wait to see this in action.

For me, hell can have any face, as long as it has a gloomy, eery feel to it, and this hits it spot on.

Graf Zahl said:

Yes. The latest BSP supports an uncompressed extended node format that is currently supported by ZDoom and PrBoom

I think that new uncompressed extended node format does not correlate with stability only for 50k or less sidedefs. Is it known issue, or Huy does something wrong?

Btw, deepbsp extended node format already supported by three ports: zdoom, prboom-plus and risen3d. Probably hawkwind wants to ask author of risen3d to add support for zdoom uncompressed nodes :)

Doom Marine said:

PM'ed you.

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/zdbsp_svn.zip

It's worth noting that Eternity, as of SVN revision 1212, now has joined ZDoom and PrBoom-Plus in supporting ZDBSP's uncompressed extended nodes format. I've tested it in combination with DB2's built-in sidedefs compression to successfully load a map with well over 70,000 sidedefs in it.

40oz said:

link

It was an edited test version of a Vaporware map that was pretty close to 65535 segs as-is. I took a large chunk of the map and duplicated it a couple times to bring up the segs count to something absurd. :P

Also, DB2's sidedefs compression is amazingly fast.

esselfortium said:

well over 70,000 sidedefs

link