Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Reisal

ZDaemon

Why is that out of all the source ports besides Legacy, have not updated in a long time? Really, having ZDaemon being stuck on ZDoom 1.23(?) after all these years is a sign of lazy developers.

What gives?

Being "updated" and being "updated to the latest base engine" are two entirely different things. ZDaemon has been updated numerous times and is still maintained.

I don't really follow ZDaemon, but I'm pretty sure that the fact that it's using an old version of ZDoom is intentional rather than out of laziness. Comparing ZDaemon to modern ZDoom versions you notice a very different feel to everything, one that the ZDaemon developers apparently prefer.

tl;dr: Saying ZDaemon should update is like saying Chocolate Doom should support KDiZD...er, maybe bad example

Yes, there would be little point in "updating ZDaemon" like that since Skulltag already covers the "current ZDoom in C/S mode" niche. Ports just branch off in the direction their developers and users prefer.

I'm not too bothered by ZDaemon being based on an old build of ZDoom. The only real thing I hate is how sometimes the border flickers in full screen mode, something ZDoom always did as well until about 2.0.63a.

ZDaemon will never use the ZDoom 2 codebase for many reasons, and laziness isn't exactly one of them. Keeping up ZDoom developement would be a chore in itself as ZDoom is constantly bringing new features to the table. Starting over from scratch would be counterproductive as well, given all the network-related code took years to get to where it is right now. Also, just about every time a new version of ZDoom is released, you can forget about ever playing an older demo on it.

ZDaemon isn't about the latest mapping features; it's about the players. And I guarentee you, if you somehow took ZDoom and turned it into ZDaemon, you would have many upset players, especially from the oldschool crowd.

It's not worth it.

ZDaemon is constantly having ZDoom features fixed/updated, so I don't really see a need for any major changes. I mean shit, with the new version, even multiplayer ACS minigames are perfectly possible. And when ACS is able to spawn Heretic/Hexen actors, wad authors will be able to add new weapons and monsters without sacrificing existing ones. Oh, and I can't forget to mention DEHSUPP, which has been working for some time now.

So yeah, ZDaemon might be a bit on the primitive side, but it can still a shitload of things people never thought it was capable of. It is still being actively maintained and updated, and even though the major version releases are a bit sparse, you can usually find the latest beta.

Mike.Reiner said:

The only real thing I hate is how sometimes the border flickers in full screen mode, something ZDoom always did as well until about 2.0.63a.

Try disabling the DirectDraw palette hack. ZDaemon does the same thing to me when I have this option on.

EarthQuake said:

Oh, and I can't forget to mention DEHSUPP, which has been working for some time now.

Interestingly, ZDoom completely drops user-DEHSUPP support with the next version. :D

In some way ZDsemon sounds like the last Legacy: There's a lot of features but many things require hacks to work as intended... ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Interestingly, ZDoom completely drops user-DEHSUPP support with the next version. :D

In some way ZDsemon sounds like the last Legacy: There's a lot of features but many things require hacks to work as intended... ;)

Hacking the engine to make it do what you want it to is nothing new in regards to Doom. People have been coming up with elaborate tricks and such that exploit things in the engine ever since the game came out. Having restrictions coerce people into thinking creatively, and when something really amazing (like Worst's Snake game) is created, people tend to remember it.

Mr. Chris said:

Why is that out of all the source ports besides Legacy, have not updated in a long time? Really, having ZDaemon being stuck on ZDoom 1.23(?) after all these years is a sign of lazy developers.

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

yeah well Doom is officially stuck on 1.9, that must mean id software is the laziest software developer in the world too

fraggle said:

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

It means that, come on, having Chocolate being stuck on Doom 1.9 after all these years is a sign of lazy developers. You could have updated to Doom 3! :P

Gez said:

It means that, come on, having Chocolate being stuck on Doom 1.9 after all these years is a sign of lazy developers. You could have updated to Doom 3! :P

Well, I can't blame him. Doom 3 is a very gray and bluish game. Quake, on the other hand, is more fitting of Chocolate's trademark brownness.

It's a hardware issue. The entire computer industry's going nowhere without a respectably fast analogue computer for the masses.

GreyGhost said:

It's a hardware issue. The entire computer industry's going nowhere without a respectably fast analogue computer for the masses.

Like this?