Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Blasphemer 0.0.4 released!

Blasphemer 0.0.4 can be downloaded here: http://www.jeshimoth.com/jutegyte/blasphemer/

What's new:
+ Snarboo's "Forgotten Stronghold" map (E1M3)
+ Ryathaen's "White Citadel" map (currently E1M7)
+ Frostfang and Blood Sceptre HUD sprites.
+ Colored rune marks by the key doors on E2M1.
+ More textures.
+ Chandelier and Volcano sprites.
+ A few creature sounds.
* Updated Frostfang and Blood Sceptre pickup sprites.
* Tweaked blue key platform on E2M1.
* Updated stalactites/stalagmites and pillar.
* Updated DEHACKED lump with titles for added maps.
* Refined some textures.

---------------

We would love to have some contributions, especially maps!

-------------

Also, here are some questions/comments from Stilgar to the Doom community:

1. If anyone is itching to make textures and thinks they'd like to try their hand at any of the few remaining ones, they should feel free to do so. The standard rules apply, content compatible with a three-clause BSD only. Heretic tridents/chaos-stars should be avoided (pentagrams, inverse-crosses, and swords are the main motifs I've been using for symbols, but no need to feel limited to that).

2. The HHE patch has not been updated with this release. Given that HHE is old, lacks modern updates, is difficult to use with the latest version of Heretic, and the Blasphemer project will require a source port of some form anyways, is maintaining an HHE patch for Blasphemer of any use? Do any port coders plan to support HHE? Changing the in-game messages is desirable to the project, due to different names for the items and a different storyline.

3. If anyone feels the textures that have been changed from previous versions are worse, they should speak up--I've tried to take care in preserving the older versions to return to if needed. Going along with #1, submitting improved revisions/replacements of textures is okay too.

You should update the links on the webpage. Sure, it's not hard to copy the link to the URL bar, change the 3 to a 4, and hit enter; but that shouldn't be necessary. ;)

That's really something, it looks awesome. :)
I would like to map for this, but I would rather wait until there are a few enemies in it.

Gez said:

You should update the links on the webpage. Sure, it's not hard to copy the link to the URL bar, change the 3 to a 4, and hit enter; but that shouldn't be necessary. ;)

Fixed! Sorry about that.

jute said:

Both.

My brain hurts. So, you could jump on a Heretic server with it, as long as you don't bump into the original levels, or am I understanding this wrong?

Nightmare Doom said:

Can the Protagonist be a female character?

It's not in the plan but would depend on if the idea behind it is good and how much work someone would put towards making it so.

Captain Ventris said:

My brain hurts. So, you could jump on a Heretic server with it, as long as you don't bump into the original levels, or am I understanding this wrong?

It's "mostly" compatible with Heretic stuff, but won't be 100% so. I'm not sure if connecting to an online server running regular Heretic with some add-on map set would be possible or not; I'd assumed the server would reject the IWAD if it didn't match the one used by the server, but you'd have to try it, there are no guarantees that it will work this way.

Looking very cool indeed! I'd still love to contribute a map later on...if I can manage to find the time to do so.

This is all looking very spiffy. I hope I find time to play through this someday soon. :`(

This is an interesting take on the Heretic style. The original game was very bright and vibrant, though it was definitely several large strides away from a cartoon-like design. Blasphemer, on the other hand, looks very bleak and more serious than Heretic (that E1 sky being a perfect example of the despair being conveyed by those pictures). Those weapons have darker tones as well. Good stuff!

Of course, I will have to play through this myself before I can confirm my above observations. ;)

TheCupboard said:

This is an interesting take on the Heretic style. The original game was very bright and vibrant, though it was definitely several large strides away from a cartoon-like design. Blasphemer, on the other hand, looks very bleak and more serious than Heretic (that E1 sky being a perfect example of the despair being conveyed by those pictures). Those weapons have darker tones as well. Good stuff!

Pretty much. A lot of the graphical design and background is inspired by black metal album covers and the like, and the palette was also retooled to be gloomier.

Patrick Pineda said:

Need weapons?

Probably yes. Eriance has done a few (the Frostfang and Blood Sceptre), but aside from that there are no HUD sprites for the weapons yet. I don't know if Eriance has the time/will to work on them currently, so if you feel like working out any of the others in the meantime, please do unless you hear otherwise. Just keep in mind that the graphic style for the weapons should be reasonably similar in all of them.

It looks like this project is going to need a lot of sounds. I could provide, but my sources are mainly variants of the Creative Commons license, which typically boils down to being able to freely share the sounds in question, as long as we don't sell them, don't modify them, and give due credit to the author. The Freedoom project had some issues with the first clause (don't sell), and I'd imagine Blasphemer would have the same issue.

RottKing said:

I can provide the voice for the player if ya need it. Any particular way you want him to sound? Should I sort of emulate his Heretic counter-part?

EDIT: well I did some anyway heh, here's 5 samples I recorded: http://rottking.unidoom.org/blaspain.zip

Thanks, I like these. I tentatively wired in pain5a as pain and pain4 as oof. Any chance you can make the death screams to match?

WildWeasel said:

It looks like this project is going to need a lot of sounds. I could provide, but my sources are mainly variants of the Creative Commons license, which typically boils down to being able to freely share the sounds in question, as long as we don't sell them, don't modify them, and give due credit to the author. The Freedoom project had some issues with the first clause (don't sell), and I'd imagine Blasphemer would have the same issue.

Yes, Creative Commons (of any form) is verboten. The "don't modify" part would also be a problem. All resources must be compliant with this licence (a tailored copy of which should be found in the download as "COPYING".

A new update, awesome! :D The new E1M7 (White Citadel) is epic! I'm embarassed to admit I got lost a few times, but that could be because it's missing decorations. It's an awesome map.

I'll probably work on a slightly improved version of my map. I noticed a texture misalignment in the screenshot posted in the OP, and a few more when I played around with the current release. I also thought I noticed a transparent vine texture in the last version, so that should be more appropriate than the iron grating in a few spots.

Snarboo said:

A new update, awesome! :D The new E1M7 (White Citadel) is epic! I'm embarassed to admit I got lost a few times, but that could be because it's missing decorations. It's an awesome map.

There's an updated (hopefully less confusing) version in the works. I meant to have it submitted before this release went out, but forgot all about it. Glad to hear someone enjoyed my map, though.

EDIT: First sentence now in English.

Tormentor667 said:

Jute, just in case you haven't seen this: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/45805-contribute-heretic-community-texture-pack/

I am sure some of your textures might fit in very well :)

My interest in devoting any of my energy to this is pretty much zero, but as far as my own personal texture contributions go, do whatever you want with them on your own time. Just be aware that some of the palette alterations might bite you when you convert them back (most likely the browns and greens in particular.)

As far as anyone else's, you'll have to ask whoever made them for permission, unless your pack is fully compliant with the Blasphemer license terms.

Stilgar said:

As far as anyone else's, you'll have to ask whoever made them for permission, unless your pack is fully compliant with the Blasphemer license terms.

non-Free crap trying to fly past the radar, disgusting!

Tormentor667 said:

About 98% are Heretic texture edits, maybe 2% of them are from Hexen or Hexen edits,

leileilol said:

non-Free crap trying to fly past the radar, disgusting!

Reading comprehension motherfucker, do you have it?

He's asking for our textures, not offering us his.

Ryathaen, Snarboo: Thanks again for the great maps! Looking forward to the updates.

RottKing: I like the sounds!

Me. Although to be fair the intermission music is J.S. Bach and I.