Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nems

FileFront Fragged by Failing Economy, Then Respawns

http://farewell.filefront.com/

According to this, on March 30th, the site will be suspended. Now would be a great time to download what you can from there in terms of mods, levels, add-ons, and so on, be it for Doom 3, Quake 4, ET:QW, and so on.

I have no idea where these files are going to go. I personally hope I can find Doom 3 mods, add-ons, etc. other places besides FilePlanet. ):

Here's hoping it's some kind of April Fool's ruse. FileFront's loaded with files impossible to get anywhere else.

Damn that sucks. Filefront's the first place I always go for patches and demos & headlines that it referenced [but since they got rid of that some time ago, I visited less often].
Always liked the no-queue and usually fast downloads; wish it was fileplanet instead :(

That's a real shame. Filefront is where I always go for files, patches, and other hard to find mods and items. I suppose I'll have to backup some of the rare files I've gotten off there at this point. The fact that they managed to survive this long without copious ads, wait lines, and log in's is a testament to how awesome they were. Hopefully this is just an April fools joke, but I find that really hard to believe. It's hard to offer quality without forcing user costs and ad revenue down a consumers throat every step of the way at this point.

Zaldron said:

Here's hoping it's some kind of April Fool's ruse. FileFront's loaded with files impossible to get anywhere else.

Ziff-Davis has been pretty much getting rid of their gaming-related assets (1UP.com, EGM, Filefront). It was inevitable.

Zaldron said:

What this guy said, it would really suck to see FileFront go.

I already took time today to download some stuff I had marked for downloads, especially in terms of Doom 3. I had been looking around for alternate sites and Map Factory would be a good place for a lot of these files to go.

http://www.map-factory.org/

Beyond that, I really can't think of any other places to go for that kind of thing. I'll keep looking around. ):

This sucks! I remember I have some files of mine up there, notibly STALKER related which I only have on my external drive.

R.I.P Filefront

I love FileFront, it's really sad to see it go. The site always worked well for me. Now I'll have to go back to those crappy sites that make you wait in line for files.

While MediaFire mightn't be to everyone's tastes, it's worked to my satisfaction and there's no download queues or codes to enter. Any alternative's better than FilePlanet.

GreyGhost said:

While MediaFire mightn't be to everyone's tastes, it's worked to my satisfaction and there's no download queues or codes to enter. Any alternative's better than FilePlanet.

MediaFire is decent... I have used it more than anything else, but another new one that is becoming more popular is FileDen. Apparently, it's easier to get onto from foreign countries than MediaFire. Aussies in particular bitch when I use MediaFire, but not FileDen.

GreyGhost said:

I've used MediaFire, it's a great site. It doesn't make you wait for downloads, either.

I backed up the doom/doom2/finaldoom/hexen/heretic folders entirely, all 936mb of it. It's mostly stuff that idgames/ would reject though (rars, shareware modified wads, no txt files with some wads)

Either this is an April Fools Day joke or someone can't find the OFF switch for the servers. I'm still able to download stuff.

leileilol said:

I backed up the doom/doom2/finaldoom/hexen/heretic folders entirely, all 936mb of it. It's mostly stuff that idgames/ would reject though (rars, shareware modified wads, no txt files with some wads)

Whoa, thanks for doing that leilei

Maybe they got so much ad revenue from all the clicks going through their site of people trying to frenetically download everything that they were able to stay in business. Perhaps that was their plan all along.

(Wrote that before I read the press release, but could be partially true.)

You know, ZD has a track record of doomed properties (EGM, 1UP, TechTV, CGW). FileFront was lucky to even be offered back in a sale within this short timeframe, to a non-corporate community bunch.

3dgamers.com i cant say the same for though :/

leileilol said:

You know, ZD has a track record of doomed properties (EGM, 1UP, TechTV, CGW). FileFront was lucky to even be offered back in a sale within this short timeframe, to a non-corporate community bunch.

3dgamers.com i cant say the same for though :/

What? nooooo 3dgamers! Not fileplanet!

Maybe the title could be edited so it fits the current situation? (Back in original owner's hands)