Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

Boom Sound Issue

Salutes all.

I'm trying to make sound to work on Boom (i mean Boom, not PrBoom or other).

When I run Doom.exe, the sound works (nearly) fine, but Boom seems not to recognize de Sound card (thats a Sound Blaster 16). I was playing arround with that Allegro config tool, and it detects the the Sound Card, even the IRQ and Port, but when running Boom, or testing the sound with the own Alegro sound test, no sound is played.

I also checked the Allegro sounds volume, and all is correct.

Any tip on this?

And other question: is it possible to run PrBoom in a FreeDos system? Maybe installing SDL or something else...

And the final question: whats the best (stable/easy configurable) MS-DOS doom port (not being Boom).

Thnx in advance.

What is your setting for the sound card in boom.cfg? In my case sound works with -1 (autodetect), having allegro.cfg with its settings in the same directory.

PrBoom won't work in DOS, only in more modern OSs. As for DOS ports, you have the old ZDoom v1.17, Doom legacy for DOS, a version of eternity, and CDoom.

If I am not mistaken, you're doing Boom stuff. CDoom might be a good choice here, as it's MBF plus a few advanced features. The Eternity Engine for DOS is a also a good choice but might be in a more beta-like stage in some basic senses. CDoom has OPL music for your SB16, which is cool, anyway. The versions of ZDoom and Legacy might not have full, or very precise, Boom compatibility.

myk said:

What is your setting for the sound card in boom.cfg? In my case sound works with -1 (autodetect), having allegro.cfg with its settings in the same directory.

PrBoom won't work in DOS, only in more modern OSs. As for DOS ports, you have the old ZDoom v1.17, Doom legacy for DOS, a version of eternity, and CDoom.

If I am not mistaken, you're doing Boom stuff. CDoom might be a good choice here, as it's MBF plus a few advanced features. The Eternity Engine for DOS is a also a good choice but might be in a more beta-like stage in some basic senses. CDoom has OPL music for your SB16, which is cool, anyway. The versions of ZDoom and Legacy might not have full, or very precise, Boom compatibility.

I have solved the problem. Not full solved, but nearly.

When i was asking that question, i was using MS-DoS 7.10 on a Qemu Virtual Machine. For any reason, Boom didnt want to play sounds.

Now I installed FreeDos, and it runs nice. The only issue i still have is the bad sound playback quality. Also Doom(2).exe and Boom.exe sound, is quite distorted.

The Snd. card emulated is a SB16.

I didnt' test other sound programs. Maybe thats an doom issue, I don't know. I will try any other game.

And i will test that old zDoom version. I tested DosDoom, but it always crashes. Thanks for info.

Karnizero said:
Also Doom(2).exe and Boom.exe sound, is quite distorted.

I know that in DOS sound is more "hollow" and grave (similar to Doom95), which is normal, although what you speak of may be different. Additionally, Boom's Allegro isn't very solid and in my system Boom has some static.

myk said:

I know that in DOS sound is more "hollow" and grave (similar to Doom95), which is normal, although what you speak of may be different. Additionally, Boom's Allegro isn't very solid and in my system Boom has some static.

I think the problem is the Qemu Emulated Sound Driver, because other games also plays sound nasty.

When I execute Doom.exe on DOS-Box, the sound is fine.

I think Qemu Drivers Emulation for sound has to be enhanced.

Finally i decided for Boom as DOS Doom Port. zDoom Dos version freezes after a seconds, and CDoom crashesh with an "Unhandled Exception" error.

Anyway, thanks for your tips. :-)