Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Textures] Heretic Pack - Needs more magic / light / iced stuff

No, actually not. About 98% are Heretic texture edits, maybe 2% of them are from Hexen or Hexen edits, but that's all although Hexen edits that fit into Heretic might work as well.

Most of them are just fugly color edits though.
How about actually making some new textures that match the existing resources?

Well, I'd be happy if someone could help with such things out :) For me my skills are not enough to simply do recolors and patchworks. :(

Many of the recolors are from essel's and rottking's texture set. Beyond, I did about 100 additional edits now and just uploaded them. Here are a few examples from my work:

It's not that much and neither that good but I am still learning and honestly, this is my very first real texture project I am working on.

Well, I'm not trying to tare down on the work really. (honestly, I don't)
But be creative. Find other sources than Heretic to make the textures. Now I'm not suggesting that you look for those sources in other games. But You can get sources from all kinds of places. Photosources are generally a good bet. But of course. In this case, you don't want them to be too realistic looking. So if you go there. You'll have to work it over to be more cartoonish.

I myself usually paint cartoonish resources directly in the computer or I use sketches as base. The most important aspect is really to get the contrasts in so the texture doesn't look flat. Other than that. Just play around and see what you can come up with.

Umm.

These are excellent! They might only be simple recolors or just patched together, but they would really go great with Heretic! Heretic always lacked in texture and color variety, and you're proving that Heretic has a much more versatile palette than I would have ever guessed!

Kristus is right a bit. There does need to be fewer recolors. Perhaps you can use Hexen as a base for more textures? After all Hexen is Heretic's sequel.

Anyways, please, keep going with this!

Concerning the textures, I am - unfortunately - not very good in drawing textures or sprites that look good ingame, so all I can do is patchwork stuff, recolors and very minor edits. But hopefully some people that are skilled enough will contribute as well, maybe even you kristus.

Problem with me making textures is that I never make any until I really need to. :p

I've been considering making a few textures that people can use though. But I'm not used to making general textures. So it's hard for me to think of any to make.

Textures you say? I make all my own for my projects. I may pitch some original stuff.

Great stuff :)
I can definitely see more Heretic maps being created as a result of this.

Lord_Z said:

Great stuff :)
I can definitely see more Heretic maps being created as a result of this.

That's what I really hope for :(

Nothing wrong with textures that are based on existing ones...they've worked nicely for years in Doom and in fact they'll probably work better in Heretic given the low number of them to start with.

That's why I turned this into a Nick Baker tribute ;)

BTW, afaik you are working on a Heretic / Hexen mod for years now, any contributions you might be able to do? :)

The problem is that you can clearly spot where each part of the texture comes from, which ruins the experience. Kinda like fugly monster that has a DOOM alpha lost soul, and a recolored baron of hell body, yet not so funny.
I suggest to drop the idea of mixing parts of Heretic graphics (no matter if they're sprites, textures, or flats), and find other sources. You'd be surprised if you look on google for "medieval textures" "town textures" or the like, or things less obvious. Of course then you shoud have to do some edits to make things fit with the default Heretic textures.

And always remember that most of the time, quality > quantity.

Vegeta said:

The problem is that you can clearly spot where each part of the texture comes from, which ruins the experience. Kinda like fugly monster that has a DOOM alpha lost soul, and a recolored baron of hell body, yet not so funny.

I do get what you mean but that's not exactly the right way to solve the problem. This texture pack is supposed to be an enhancement of the amount of existing stock textures for Heretic, just like the texture packs from Nightmare for Doom. It's actually the same: You know where they come from but the edits are still very useful.

This seems like the recolor texture project for Doom 1/2 by Nick baker, just for Heretic. :)
But great with new textures for heretic, because heretic didn't really have that many textures to begin with.

Torn said:

This seems like the recolor texture project for Doom 1/2 by Nick baker, just for Heretic. :)
But great with new textures for heretic, because heretic didn't really have that many textures to begin with.

That's exactly what I aimed for :)