Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Udderdude

Slayer likes Satan (and Hell)

Of course they do. What else would you expect from a bunch of black leather-clad, stoned, satanig screaming headbangers that call this awful noise "music"? They are a bad influence for our youth, I'm telling ya! How can today's kids listen to this awful noise?

P.S.: Get off my lawn, you damn kids!

1-71 were from the 80's. I'm surprised there weren't more. acillateM naht retteb semit noillirt a ekil si reyalS dna, hO.

Aren't Slayer the one major metal band who are actually Satanists?

Also, there is Iron Maiden...

Danarchy said:

They're not really Satanists, though they do tackle satanic subjects. Their vocalist and drummer are both Christians, while one of their guitarists is atheist. (I'm not sure about the other guitarist, Jeff Hanneman.)

Also, the video in the OP is basically awesome.

First thing to remember about Satanism is that there's two kinds: those who venerate Satan and those who believe Satan simply represents certain human traits.

Most metal bands are very tongue-in-cheek about Satanism. They do it for shock value or because they find it entertaining to write lyrics about it. Very few have actually professed Satanic beliefs, and usually only individuals, not bands as a whole; members of Emperor, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Watain, and Dissection come to mind. Also, the Norwegian black metal scene is infamous for a series of church burnings in the 90s, but this was likely just reactionaries against Christianity rather than actual subscribers to Satanism. Hell, the guy widely considered to have catalyzed the arsons, Varg Vikernes (of Burzum), has said on numerous occasions he is not a Satanist.

Danarchy said:

Methinks that would be Morbid Angel (or, specifically, David Vincent).

Didn't that guy from Deicide carve an inverted cross in his forehead? That would kind of limit your employment opportunities, I think.

Slayer has been accused of being Nazis too, despite the lead singer being Chilean and the drummer Cuban...

OH SHIT! MY METALS BETRAY ALL THAT THE INTERNETS TELLME I BELIVE IN THEM! SLAYER IS THEM NORWEGIAN INTERHETS DEATH SATANS! DUR DUE! CRITICAL THINKING! HOPEFULLY WHAT THEM PEOPLES CAN LEARN FROM THIS! I'LL TEACH THOSE THAT ARE WILLING TO LEARN. HAR HAR HAR! MISINFORMED ARE WORSE THAN THE MISANTHROPIST THAT BLEED UPON THE COPSE OF THE MISINFORMED! HAHA!

POTGIESSER said:

OH SHIT! MY METALS BETRAY ALL THAT THE INTERNETS TELLME I BELIVE IN THEM! SLAYER IS THEM NORWEGIAN INTERHETS DEATH SATANS! DUR DRU! CRITICAL THINKING! HOPEFULLY WHAT THEM PEOPLES CAN LEARN FROM THIS! I'LL TEACH THOSE THAT ARE WILLING TO LEARN. HAR HAR HAR! MISINFORMED ARE WORSE THAN THE MISANTHROPIST THAT BLEED UPON THE COPSE OF THE MISINFORMED! HAHA!

I lol'd.

I don't get how one can really believe in satan if they've abandoned God. Really, a devil-like satan doesn't look charismatic enough to be worshipped (or self-become, judging from how that famous churchofsatan site states). I only see satanism as a protection for the insecure kids and an early means of oh-how-great-am-I kind of stuff. Usually if one is atheist, after having seen that satanism is no different to any religion, would just abandon it and be free.
At least God has a large enough worshipping institution, and His tenets work better to the average people (it's more about don't do bad stuff, than be great, which is safer), who are more susceptible to religion in the first place.

Perhaps satanism is just entertainment business, at best. When not teenager tantrum. I couldn't see it as anything else.

printz said:
Really, a devil-like satan doesn't look charismatic enough to be worshipped (or self-become, judging from how that famous churchofsatan site states).

Ah, so you met him, then! When you saw this devil-like Satan that you say doesn't seem charismatic, did you ask him if he knows any cyberdemons personally or how many imps he has under his command? The answer to such questions would surely throw some objective light on whether he is charismatic enough to be worshiped by metalheads worldwide. Not to mention how many succubi he has in his harems, of course...

Ok, you probably beat me to it. But he still has fewer human believers than God :)

There should be a video for the gratuitous use of "fuck" on their recent albums. :|

There is a church of Satan in Europe somewhere, I remember seeing a documentary that brought it up. I just don't think Satanism can be taken seriously. It just seems like a ruse to stir up trouble by worshipping the polar opposite power in a religion that is widely accepted. Basically determined, real-life trolls.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but I got carried away with my "charisma" topic.

Um, but you'd have to take other religions seriously first...

In any case, it seems to make some pretty interesting characterizations of what the devil stands for.

Satanism according to Anton LaVey is fairly different from the stereotypical media depiction of Satanists. It's bascially just Ayn Rand dolled up with some rituals.

Maybe BioShock 3 can be about a city in the sky built by Tony Laverge!!1

myk said:

In any case, it seems to make some pretty interesting characterizations of what the devil stands for.

Indeed. Some of these make it almost look like he would stand for things we believe to be proper, like justice, respect, and privacy.

Even though LaVey looked like an accomplice to Snidley Whiplash :p

myk said:

Um, but you'd have to take other religions seriously first...

I do take into account the sensitive nature people have towards their religions which I do take seriously.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Psychiatrists take the same precautions with the interns of the mental institutions they work in. These Satanists, on the other hand, may generally be a bit too reasonable to be taken so seriously. They even have a good point about this matter: When in another’s lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

There should be a Pantera video too...

I mean, there must be some generic tough-guy phrase that Phil has been consistently using throughout all their albums.

Funny how you can hear the Metallica albums gradually devolving into suck even when you're only given clusters of second-long samples like that.

Aseph said:

Funny how you can hear the Metallica albums gradually devolving into suck even when you're only given clusters of second-long samples like that.

Hahaha, I was about to say the same thing. The slayer one is similar but they don't turn into country in the middle.

Georgef551 said:

Forget Slayer and Iron Maiden, listening to these two is TRUE HELL!

I think I'd attribute that description to DragonForce.

haha finally, i was waiting for a sequel to the metallica DEATHHHHH video.

he should do the hell/satan thing for venom or deicide next. could be amusing. or he could do something completely different. whatever.

im pretty sure most satanism imagery in metal is for laughs, and also to suit the music. it could be compared to a horror movie. pretty sure anyone who believes it genuinely is retarded (sorry danarchy)

I think that southpark's depiction of satan as a guy with a cock on his chest that talks like someone who needs a few nipple rings if he doesn't already is pretty dead on. Having Sadam Haussain (sp?) actually being worse of a boyfriend that's manipulating Satan is hysterical as well. Mr Slave is a good character too, alongside Mr Garrison as the evil homosexuals. I was asked to do a voice for the grim reaper for a kid's project in college. I was incredibly gay about it, like Stephen Lynch's song about the devil. The woodland critter christmas is just the greatest though. They could have produced a full christmas movie series having three seperate stories if they made that one of them. I'm still waiting for a Southpark 2 though the wait has probably been too long for it to be taken seriously, if not just a comedy central special. I guess this doesn't fit slayer loving satan. But see, some christians do listen to satanists and respect what they have to say as just a phase of rebellion in life where they'll seek some sort of refuge in the church later on in life. God may even listen to slayer, who knows. Some believe so!

edit: well shit I didn't realize I had been beat to it. I knew I saw that in more than one place, apparently one being two minutes before I reposted it on the same forum threat. Ah well. Mine's bigger I guess. Not to mention branded differently.