Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Georgef551

"Urban Exploration"

Do you enter and explore abandoned buildings?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enter and explore abandoned buildings?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn\'t cross my mind
    • Great place to toke up and meet Satan

Abandoned buildings always get my attention, as I look into the broken windows to see what's inside, or how bad things have fallen into disrepair.
Unfortunately, common sense and logic keeps me from ever entering such a place, even though there is a little kid in me who wants to jump through that broken window and go exploring.

So, have you ever done such a thing?

Maybe not exactly "urban" but I always dig jumping inside of old bunkers and installations scattered around, not too many here but California has a bunch.

I've considered moving the Philadelphia for this reason. Can't find much of these in even our crappiest boroughs. I know there's an abandoned mental asylum not too far from where I live. I forget what exactly it's called, but I know there's still a bunch of beds and stretchers and dirty shit in there. Supposedly it's really creepy. I gotta check it sometime.

In the particular area, there are a ton of old farmhouses, a few dilapidated factories, and "old town"

Definitely a ton to explore, most of these places are infested with homeless scum and methheads, but I like taking my Dad's Black and White SLR camera and taking pictures of these places in the winter. They make for some cool photos. I'll post some if I can find a scanner.

Abandoned buildings are practically unheard of in and around my neighbourhood. I'll probably have to wait for the local mortgage market to take a nose-dive (in order to catch up with the US market) before there'll be much in the way of exploration opportunities.

JohnnyRancid said:

I've considered moving the Philadelphia for this reason. Can't find much of these in even our crappiest boroughs. I know there's an abandoned mental asylum not too far from where I live. I forget what exactly it's called, but I know there's still a bunch of beds and stretchers and dirty shit in there. Supposedly it's really creepy. I gotta check it sometime.

There's one about 20 miles from where I live that I'd love to visit. A couple friends from work and me were supposed to go last Halloween, but the guy who was supposed to organized it kinda... fizzled about it. Haven't heard anything about Torrence since.

JohnnyRancid said:

Byberry, and it's filled with a bunch of crackheads along with ghosts. There are tons of places to explore here in the Philadelphia area + 100 miles though. It's not my thing but my brother has been in abandoned power plants, tunnels, there's even an abandoned highway and tunnel not far away.

I took a twilight trip with a couple of friends to an abandoned womens' reformation facility. Probably could have got into a lot of trouble, or even got hurt, but it was fun and creepy to explore. We only got to the third floor though, because on the top floor some of the floor was missing and we didn't want to chance falling through what was left of it. Inside were all sorts of bed frames, ragged clothing/sheets and miscellaneous debris, it was actually quite dangerous as we couldn't tell where were walking half the time (there was 3 of us with only 2 flashlights).

We found some seriously freaky shit while inside. There was a fucking doll head perched on a pile of rubble, and a toilet with water still inside it (that, heh, still flushed). Also, we found what looked like huge bloodstains on some of the remaining bed mattresses. Heh, there was even something in the building with us, because we kept hearing it in the other room. We'd go to check it out and nothing would be there... that is until we came back down to the second floor and saw something huge fly out the window.

Eyyyeah... that's when we bolted for the car. :)

I've actually had to clean up a formerly-abandoned building. There's quite a bit of work to it, obviously, but actually far less than you might expect.

Yup. I too love to enter old houses, bunkers and shacks. It's kinda fun to imagine how they were when still operational/used.

I once broke into a house that was up for sale with some friends when I was a little kid. That doesn't really count though.

The town I live in has a bunch of derelict buildings in it. I have pictures of a couple of them on my Myspace page and the like.

Most 'abandoned' buildings I get to see are under demolition, so there are people working, so I'm not supposed to be there. There's too little space to keep junk built up.

Captain Red said:

Hell, I'd LOVE to do this kind of thing, but I have no idea where to start :/

PROTIP - First find an abandoned house. ;-)

GreyGhost said:

PROTIP - First find an abandoned house. ;-)

...just make sure it really is abandoned, and not squatted/used as a crack house. In which case you'd better be ready for Urban Combat, with an Urban Tactical Shotgun (ya know, black pistol-grip, no stock, short barrel and flashlight).

there was an abandoned building in my city that some ravers thought would make a good place to roll... place FUCKING EXPLODED.

Turned out to be a crackhouse with secret METH FACTORY. Boom boom.

I did a short 4:30 video of an abandoned school building, and posted it on YouTube. I didn't enter the property, or the building. I did shoot the insides by zooming into the broken windows tightly, and then using the nightshot feature to show the innards. At some point, the plaster ceilings were ripped out and replaced with drywall, because the ceiling collapses are square in nature, and there's no lath left behind, just an occasional piece of strapping.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=georgef551&aq=f <--- If you care to see it....

The building was a High School from 1908 to 1963, then became a Junior High School from 1964 to 1984 (Hence the current name of the building). From 1993 to 1994, a playgroup used the building., before being kicked out. It stood vacant since. The upkeep stopped on the building about 1980 or so. The building had a very leaky roof before the junior high closed.

With 30 years of neglect, the building looks the way it does now, although most of the broken windows were from the last 10 years of vandalism, the failed windows are fron neglect (there are two failed sashes).