• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boris

Feature requests for wadsinprogress.info

Hello everybody.

Some of you probably know http://wadsinprogress.info

What features would you guys like to see on WIP? What do you think is unneccessary? What would you change in general? Name anything and everything, but keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed to be implemented.

Better page management functions for administrators would be nice. For instance, being able to better discern exactly what was changed in a WAD profile when somebody updates it without having to go back to the main page in a different tab and comparing the old page with the new one.

...That's all I can think of off the top of my head. :P

Being able to sort the wads by more than game, game mode and port.

For instance the planned ammount of maps, is it planned to include any new graphics. These two could help the viewer predict wheter wad X is planned to be a megawad, a TC etc.

Maybe a "Most Viewed This Week" mini-list or some such thing to highlight projects that people are currently finding interesting?

A panel with a randomly-picked screenshot of a recently-uploaded wad, changing each time you reload, and taking you to that wad's page when you click on it?

In firefox, when I navigate away from the wads page to a screenshot or profile or something and click Back, it doesn't save the vertical position of the page, forcing me to scroll down a fairly long page again to get back to my prior position.

Oh, and I may be mistaken about this one because it's been awhile, but when uploading screenshots in gif format using the doom palette, is there any reason why they get converted to jpeg and compressed? It would be nice to see pixel perfect screenshots w/o any ugly compression if possible.

Cheers.

GZDoom

...and some kind of stats, "Most Updated", "Most Viewed" (week, month, year, alltime)

And a better design, that looks cleaner, more neutral and less crappy (something grey/black might work better than the blue one, so the screenshots are better to view)

Oh and some sorting options might be fine as well, sorting projects in terms of game, age, screenshots or whatever is going to be added.

Last time i went to it (though this was a while ago) there was loads of abandoned projects, including my own. Perhaps some sort of "evaporation" of old, un-updated wads that never had a download link (implying they were finished) added?

deathbringer said:

Last time i went to it (though this was a while ago) there was loads of abandoned projects, including my own. Perhaps some sort of "evaporation" of old, un-updated wads that never had a download link (implying they were finished) added?

Well, in my opinion it wouldn't be a very good idea to prune un-updated WADs from the page, unless it was a personal option that could be changed. I think it's cool to keep around abandoned WADs, if not just for history's sake. In addition to that, there's always people who can take long breaks from projects and then come back to them after a long time, or people who just don't make updates all that often to Wads In Progress.

I think the "Doomworld" colour scheme still has wonky text in Firefox. Not too fussed though, since I use the Black/blue/white one instead. The darker background is much better for viewing screenshots than the default theme.

esselfortium said:

Lost UAC crate?

Yes, that makes little sense. Perhaps spruce up the generator so sillyness like that couldn't happen.

Ability to select the union of several filters of the same type

Currently you click on an option under Game or Port and it immediately runs the search - I would like a system where you can select more than one option (so they work more like checkboxes, as opposed to radio buttons) before running the search.

For example I'd like to be able to do (Doom OR Doom2 OR Evilution OR Plutonia) AND (doom(2).exe OR limit removing OR Boom) to get everything that should run with PrBoom.

Rename "doom(2).exe" port option to "vanilla"

When selecting doom(2).exe I see many wads that are clearly using port-specific features. It seems labelling the option "doom(2).exe" makes it ambiguous enough that people confuse it with the game options for Doom and Doom2, and place their engine-specific maps under doom(2).exe because they are for Doom/Doom2, as opposed to Heretic or Hexen or whatever. I think that might happen less with a rename as stated.

Mr. Chris said:

Yes, that makes little sense. Perhaps spruce up the generator so sillyness like that couldn't happen.

Silliness is the entire point of the generator, though. If the silly stuff was taken out, you'd essentially just get "Make a map where the player must find three keycards, kill a bunch of monsters, and hit an exit switch."

esselfortium said:

Silliness is the entire point of the generator, though. If the silly stuff was taken out, you'd essentially just get "Make a map where the player must find three keycards, kill a bunch of monsters, and hit an exit switch."

Well, if you remember, I started work on a "smart" random level idea generator, where attributes were randomly selected each having a "theme" and a "weight" to them. Then more attributes were selected depending on the outcome one those attributes. A little silliness is okay, but no one would seriously consider using it for an actual map idea (except Baldy and his speedmapping sessions :P).

Surely a bit more effort could be put into it using a similar system. Perhaps this is the job for a 2 or 3 order markov chain?

deathbringer said:

no! i really like still seeing old pages (like the one for raynor's tale) and knowing i'll never get to play these projects.

What about a rating system where registered users can rate what they think of the wads. And they would be able to change it if there's an update since it may look worse or better. Only saying this because there's a lot of crap wads there, but there's also great wads.

RjY said:

Ability to select the union of several filters of the same type

Currently you click on an option under Game or Port and it immediately runs the search - I would like a system where you can select more than one option (so they work more like checkboxes, as opposed to radio buttons) before running the search.

For example I'd like to be able to do (Doom OR Doom2 OR Evilution OR Plutonia) AND (doom(2).exe OR limit removing OR Boom) to get everything that should run with PrBoom.

This is already possible, in your profile check the box next to "Use drop-down menu", unless that's not what you're talking about?

esselfortium said:

Lost Trident crate?

Fixed.

Heretic Idea Generator done.

zap610 said:

What about a rating system where registered users can rate what they think of the wads. And they would be able to change it if there's an update since it may look worse or better. Only saying this because there's a lot of crap wads there, but there's also great wads.

For Brandon D. Lade.

No! God no! I meant a way to sort through them when browsing, and it would be kinda cool to see people rate updates and they can be compared with older updates so we can see a wad get better or get worse.

Mancubus II said:

This is already possible, in your profile check the box next to "Use drop-down menu", unless that's not what you're talking about?

Indeed, that's not what I'm talking about.

Whether each list is presented as a drop-down menu, or merely as links, doesn't change the fact that only one option from each list can be selected at a time.

Going back to my example in my previous post (Doom OR Doom2 OR Evilution OR Plutonia) AND (doom(2).exe OR limit removing OR Boom), to do this with the current interface means running a dozen searches, something like

Doom AND doom(2).exe        Doom AND limit removing        Doom AND Boom
Doom 2 AND doom(2).exe      Doom 2 AND limit removing      Doom 2 AND Boom
Evilution AND doom(2).exe   Evilution AND limit removing   Evilution AND Boom
Plutonia AND doom(2).exe    Plutonia AND limit removing    Plutonia AND Boom
most of which don't contain any new or interesting results (but occasionally do)

What I'm saying is that in any one list I would like to be able to choose more than one option at a time and have them ORed together. That is, the lists behave more like collections of checkboxes than radio buttons.

So I can choose both Doom and Doom 2 from the games list, and the search will match either, and similarly doom(2).exe, limit removing and Boom from the ports list, and the search will again match any one of them. (Obviously choosing options from different lists will AND them together, as is done currently)

I apologise if this is unclear, it seems perfectly obvious in my head but I've always had trouble explaining things to people.

iori said:

Oh, and I may be mistaken about this one because it's been awhile, but when uploading screenshots in gif format using the doom palette, is there any reason why they get converted to jpeg and compressed? It would be nice to see pixel perfect screenshots w/o any ugly compression if possible.

Seconded, I hate jpeg screenshots.

As the database of wads gets bigger and bigger it is going to be harder to browse through the database. Filtering options are a plus (search by size, date, word in description or title etc.)

Screenshot descriptions for those who feel like it (the level start, yellow key room etc.)

Identify possibly abandoned projects (if nobody has commented on project for 1-2 years and it wasn't released)