Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkdave1985

Port Problems

Hey!

First i wanna say hello to everyone, because i´m new here. i come from austria, so please understand that my english is bad. i have big problems, with all the port changes, which appear, when you play the same level on different ports. and now to the problem.

ok, i have made 6 levels meanwhile. all 6 maps, i have made with doombuilder. i´m mapping since 10 or 11 months and i´m really good meanwhile. i know, how the most things work and i control everything in my levels a 100 times. i´m sure that all my levels have no bugs. i learned all the basics at first and then i found out a lot of other things by myself. i know how to create sectors, doors, lifts and all that stuff the right way. and i always build this things the same right way. i have sent 3 of this 6 levels out to other guys. i asked one of this guys, to play my levels and to put the videos on youtube. also in the first two videos, i saw from him, some weird things were happened. i always play every map on zdoom and when he records his videos, he always plays on vanilla doom and records hisself with pr-boom plus. he said, that this two programs harmonising perfect with each other. in the video, where he is playing my first level, the door texture offsets were different for him in vanilla doom as for me in zdoom. in zdoom the door offsets, are different like in doombuilder 3d mode but in vanilla doom the offsets are the same like in the doombuilder 3d mode. and the second problem was. a spectre was stuck on a door and on the ceiling in a labyrinth sector, so the door couldn´t close anymore. he said, this is because the size of the monsters is different in his vanilla doom, so the spectre was stuck on the door. also, for him the door was always open but normally, you can only open this door by a switch.

in the vidoe of my second map he played, the midbars textures looked terrible and weird in his vanilla doom. when i play this level in zdoom, everything looks like it should be. he also told me that the blast damage from the rockets is different in both ports. so, it´s this time easier to play it on zdoom and nearly impossible to play it on vanilla doom.

but the real nightmare began, as i have sent him my third map. this map is bigger, then the first two. with a lot of sectors and monsters. i had sent him this map, and next day, he had sent me two videos of bugs from that level. i said to him, that this level works right for me and that i have made no bugs but he said he can´t play it on vanilla doom. in the bug videos he showed me, i saw that he can´t open doors. always when he opened a door, everything goes crazy. the second problem he talked about, was that there is a specific sector with torches he can´t pass in vanilla doom. i can run over this torches in zdoom but he can´t run over this on vanilla doom. because of this reasons, it´s impossible for him to play and record this level. he also said, that the level don´t work on doomsday and doom legacy. and these are major ports. i really don´t know, what i should do now. i have build for months on all my levels. for months. i had put so much work,time and knowledge in all this levels and then finally for nearly nothing. i´m so sad and so damn frustraded. i mean that´s a joke. every damn port, changes what he wants. also main things. i mean, that´s an insolence. how should i know how many ports exist out there, and what every port changes in the game and what every port can do or better can´t do? should i make 15 versions of each level, for 15 different source ports? no, of course not! i think, i have build everything the right way, so it´s not my fault. oh, and one last thing to my third map. everything works right in that map for me on zdoom, except one thing. in some specific sectors, the monsters are waggle, when they shoot, and so they shoot by me. even, when they stand in front of me. first it was not, but from one day on, it was always, when i had played this map. i hate this. what´s the reason for that? before it was never, but now it´s everytime.

so, everyone who can help me with all the port problems and the waggle problem, please help me.

oh, and my other 3 levels i haven´t sent him so far, but i´m sure that they also will not work for him. because they also big and comprehensive.

so, please everyone who knows much about ports and such problems. please, help me. my heart is bleeding. i want that, he can play and record all my levels without problems.

oh, for everyone who can help me. of, course i can send you all my maps and all the videos he have made so far. that you can look at everything by yourself and find out the reason for that whole mysterium.

please, everyone who can help me, should help me.

sorry, that i write so much but this is so important. i had asked other people so far on youtube and other platforms, but no one was able to help me so far.

thanks for reading and i hope, anyone can really, really help me, that i can fix all this problems.

thanks and goodnight!

He should stick with the prBoom ports if he wants vanilla gameplay since it doesn't add any excessive new features that change the game.

On the topic of not being able to play certain maps of yours, it is probably it's very detailed and your buddy is hitting the visplane limit on the original EXE, which means using Boom at the very minimum but any other ports would work since they remove the mapping limitations as well.

With X for X, which ports do you use the most? If you don't use any special effects (such as ZDoom specific stuff), it should run on any limit-removing source port.

I always use zdoom. and i have made no specific zdoom stuff, like deep water, slopes and so on, in my levels so far. and can you please explain it again. like is said, my english is not so good and i don´t understand the most things which you´re talking about.

djd

darkdave1985 said:
in the video, where he is playing my first level, the door texture offsets were different for him in vanilla doom as for me in zdoom. in zdoom the door offsets, are different like in doombuilder 3d mode but in vanilla doom the offsets are the same like in the doombuilder 3d mode.

That's curious because another guy had an issue where the offset was the same in Doom2 and ZDoom, and different in Pr/Boom. Did you modify the texture in TEXTURE1 or are you placing a standard door texture? See what Espi says at the end of that thread, however.

and the second problem was. a spectre was stuck on a door and on the ceiling in a labyrinth sector, so the door couldn´t close anymore. he said, this is because the size of the monsters is different in his vanilla doom, so the spectre was stuck on the door.

Is this happening regularly or only sometimes? In Doom monsters can get stuck on doors sometimes, if they are activating the door while moving onto the door frame. I would change something only if it happens often or all the time, but not if only occasionally.

also, for him the door was always open but normally, you can only open this door by a switch.

A monster may be active and might open it. Also, sometimes monsters can open doors from the other side. As an example, you can get the arch-vile in DOOM II's level 27 to open the exit door, where you would normally need a key.

in the vidoe of my second map he played, the midbars textures looked terrible and weird in his vanilla doom. when i play this level in zdoom, everything looks like it should be.

This may be related to what Espi said on the other thread (see above).

he also told me that the blast damage from the rockets is different in both ports. so, it´s this time easier to play it on zdoom and nearly impossible to play it on vanilla doom.

I could be wrong, but I think the blast effect in ZDoom is a circle, but the damage should be the same. Also, in Doom (and not in ZDoom) the damage will affect nearby things regardless of height. Blasting a wall above may damage monsters below. It's hard to see why something would be harder in vanilla without more specifics.

in the bug videos he showed me, i saw that he can´t open doors. always when he opened a door, everything goes crazy.

I presume some linedef might be marked with an action (maybe a door effect) and tag 0; this makes whole chunks of the level go crazy as the action is applied to a sector that isn't meant for it.

the second problem he talked about, was that there is a specific sector with torches he can´t pass in vanilla doom. i can run over this torches in zdoom but he can´t run over this on vanilla doom. because of this reasons, it´s impossible for him to play and record this level.

Things are infinitely tall in Doom and various source ports (including PrBoom) when they are obstructions. You can't jump over torches, lamps, many decorative corpses, other decorations and monsters. Some decorations and corpses are non-obstructive. You can apply this effect in ZDoom with the "Actors are infinitely tall" compatibility setting. See here.

he also said, that the level don´t work on doomsday and doom legacy. and these are major ports. i really don´t know, what i should do now.

You'd need more details to know exactly what the problem is. The only way to guarantee a level will work in any engine is by testing there. That said, if something works in vanilla it'll quite likely work in other engines.

oh, and one last thing to my third map. everything works right in that map for me on zdoom, except one thing. in some specific sectors, the monsters are waggle, when they shoot, and so they shoot by me. even, when they stand in front of me. first it was not, but from one day on, it was always, when i had played this map. i hate this. what´s the reason for that? before it was never, but now it´s everytime.

What do you mean by "waggle"?

oh, for everyone who can help me. of, course i can send you all my maps and all the videos he have made so far. that you can look at everything by yourself and find out the reason for that whole mysterium.

Do you have links to the vids? That said, you're probably better off asking for demos (recordings like the ones at the start of the game, that are run by the game itself*) and screen shots, and you'll find it easier if you run the engines you want it to work with directly. If vanilla doesn't work well on your system you can use DOSBox to run it, or Chocolate Doom (which works pretty much like vanilla).

* To record you type something like this in the command line: Doom2 -file mywad.wad -warp 01 -record mydemo

For the safest bet, you should be testing and making your maps in vanilla, since you are not using any paticular features of zdoom anyway. Zdoom allows certain caveats that do not exist in normal doom, these shortcuts tend to hinder map makers in the long run, especially if they are unfamiliar with the nuances of the real Doom engine.

In you post you mentioned everything going crazy when he opened a door, this sounds like simply a bad tag that zdoom will overlook but can cause real problems in vanilla. So try using a port with better vanilla support and you should be all set. ;)

also zdoom is made of gnome dust and kitty litter.

first, thanks to everyone, who wants to help me. all this things which you´re all talking about, sounds complicated to me and my english is not so good. so, i don´t understand the most things. however.

onece again to my problems, i have told about before!

Problems in my first map:

to the door texture offsets:

i have given the offsets of the doors in my first level to "144" on "front side y". but i have change the door offsets so meanwhile, that they also look good in vanilla doom. i don´t have vanilla doom (and i don´t know how to get it), but i know how it looks there. so, normally it must be right next time, when he plays that level.

to the door stuck spectre problem:

i have made block monster lines before the door, meanwhile. so, i hope that the monsters can´t get too close to the door anymore.

Problems in my second map:

to the blast damage problem:

i really don´t know, how this thing changes in the ports. but let us forget this thing.

to the midbars texure problem:

i must say, that the midbars texures are on a wall and not like normally, on the edge of a sector. is maybe this the fault? but normally, this should work also, when they on a wall. i mean, on zdoom everything looks right.

Problems in my third map:

to the waggle problem:

with waggle i mean it, like i have said it in my first reply. i can´t explain it better. the monsters shoot by me, even when they stand in front of me. but just in some specific sectors. not everywhere.

to the "can not open the door" problem:

i have made the doors in my third level, which he can not open, also like the doors, in my first two maps. in my first two maps, he can open the doors, but not in the third map. all these doors in the third map, have different door actions but of course no tags. you need no tags, when you have door actions. you just need tags for doors, when they should be opened by an switch. otherwise not. i have made the doors, like i said, also the same way in my first two maps. really, always the same right way. but in the third map, he can not open these damn doors. but in the first two maps he can.

so, everyone who wants my 3 levels and all the videos from him (lmp files), please say it now. i send it to everyone, who wants to help me. with e-mail at best.

and for everyone who wants to help me

give me your e-mail adress

mine is djd2006@gmx.net

thanks

djd

I'll take a look. Don't have much else to do. My email is in my profile.

darkdave1985 said:
i don´t have vanilla doom (and i don´t know how to get it), but i know how it looks there.

For DOOM II you can use the executable in the shareware, with DOSBox or turning sound effects down completely. Chocolate Doom is a source port that attempts to behave just like the original executable, and works well as an alternative on modern systems.