Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moshman

Adding in new types of keys and making alternate ammos. Also HUD.

Hello.

I am still going steady on my project and I want to take a break from level editing to go ahead on making items and weapons.

One of my main ideas I want to implement is having alternate ammo for weapons. I wanted two new ammo types for each weapon, that is alternate ammo for bullets, shells, rockets, and cells. Since some of these are slightly more powerful then the ammo of origin, I will be limiting the maximum carry capacity of said alternate ammo and making them less available than the regular variety.

The problem being is that I do not know exactly how to approach this. I thought that maybe I could just make a "new" gun and just have it be different than the rocket launcher that fires plasma rockets instead of regular rockets, but that will look very rushed and unprofessional. I want to have a key pressed that will change the ammo type and when it changes to kinda have the gun go down a bit and appear as if new ammo is being put in and make a gun cocking sound and then the weapon will be loaded with the new ammo. I also want to change the HUD gun graphics from ammo to ammo. Like instead of the rocket launcher firing red smoke on the HUD when shooting the regular rocket, it will show green smoke when firing the plasma rocket.

Also I was wondering if it is possible to have certain ammo types do more damage than normal to certain type of monsters. For instance, if I create an armor piercing round designed for the heavy mechanized monsters, it will do significantly more damage to them, but when fired at a regular flesh and blood monsters, it will do as much damage as a regular bullet, thus forcing the player to play smart with their ammo and be more efficient.

Another thing I want to implement is a new set of three keys. Each level will contain at least one of these keys, and are used to open doors that contain bonus items; weapons, armor, ammo ect. These keys will only be found in secret doors or by killing off an optional mini-boss. They will be of the gold, silver, and bronze variety in the form of a skeleton key.

I have read up on LOCKDEFS on the wiki, but it doesn't provide sufficient information on how to create new keys. Not just replacement keys mind you, but keys in addition to the two sets of keys Doom already provides you with.

Also is there any information available on making HUDS? The only thing I really want to do is make the new keys show up on the HUD when obtained and an ammo icon next to the ammo count to tell you what ammo type you have selected. I want this to have it's own exclusive icon, not the icon you specify in the DECORATE file of the weapon. I want hi-res icons.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far. =8]

When modding ZDoom, DECORATE-lump is your friend. :) The ZDoom wiki will also help you a lot, there is all information you'll need to do those things.

Is there a work around or something I can do for more than 2 ammo types? Alt fire will not do it for me.

Okay, what are tokens and how do I implement them in my setup? ZDoom wiki only gives a brief explanation, but no examples.

I'm trying to figure out how to do new kinds of ammo. In the zdoom wiki there is this very helpful page, but i'd like to see some examples. Where in the gzdoom.pk3 file can i find the decorate entries to clips, shells, rockets, and so on? (couldn't find it anywhere)

maggot202 said:

I'm trying to figure out how to do new kinds of ammo. In the zdoom wiki there is this very helpful page, but i'd like to see some examples. Where in the gzdoom.pk3 file can i find the decorate entries to clips, shells, rockets, and so on? (couldn't find it anywhere)

They'll be in actors/doom/doomammo.txt, but all the code for all actors is on the wiki. Clips, shells, rockets and so on.