Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zafer233

FreeDoom\PrBoom

I've just started playing freedoom, I am completely new to the doom franchise, and I am really lost.

Currently, I am using FreeDoom with the latest PrBoom port and was woundering if certain mods like immoral conduct and other downloadable wads were compatible. Also, If a mod is made under another port like edge, then you would need edge and not just the wad itself? If so, then would you copy your prboom or the freedoom wads to another folder, then paste the edge stuff in it.

Thanks in advanced!

PrBoom can run WADs that require no port (vanilla), limit removing, Boom MBF, or PrBoom iself.

For an EDGE mod you'll need EDGE specifically, yes.

Not sure what OS you're using, but EDGE is a separate executable, used instead of PrBoom. You'd have to make sure EDGE is loading Freedoom's IWAD, more or less how PrBoom was doing it, as well as any mods used in conjunction. You can use either the command line parameters (-iwad and -file) or predefined directories.

Thanks for the advice! I usually just need a jump start to figure things out. The cmd line confused me, but until I read that it is dos based or drag and drop, I got it. For some reason though, when I dled edge the doom music wouldn't play. Afterwards, I just dled the newest sdl.dll from their site and it worked fine aferwards. I use vista for doom.

Other than that freedoom is pretty sweet! The only difference I see with freedoom and the costly doom is that it doesn't have that scary feel when you've just killed too many fiends. If you know what mean.

I tried a level (ANDYDM1.WAD) made for Legacy, and played it on prboom. It did not crash prboom, but the 3D floors left holes instead. The under street sewers showed up as ditches in the street. In this wad the player could go around the ditches, but in some levels you would encounter play-stopping difficulties.

Warning, even under Legacy this wad seems incomplete in that I could not reach the exit, as I could not find the required key anywhere. I think it was designed only for deathmatch, as the name ANDYDM1 suggests.

Even with such a wad incompatibility you at least you can get some play from the wad. When you get to one of those difficulties, then use noclip to get around it, then un-noclip and continue the play. On prboom, if I remember right, that is the cheat code, idclip.
No good for deathmatch play though.

Deathmatch wads often dont have an exit or even keys.

Freedoom works with any pwad. Using pwads freedoom also supports every port, even doom2.exe works with freedoom if vanilla pwads are used.

But any pwad does not work with every port. So use freedoom with any port as long as the port supports the pwad.

So for the Zdoom port use freedoom and zdoom compatible wads.
For the Edge port use freedoom with edge compatible wads.

Read the text file to find out what port is used. Skulltag pretty much supports everything except Edge.

Also, This will work in prboom http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11624

Catoptromancy said:

Skulltag pretty much supports everything except Edge.

I think you meant "GZDoom" here. Skulltag doesn't have (limited) Legacy support like GZDoom does, for license reasons.

wesleyjohnson said:

I tried a level (ANDYDM1.WAD) made for Legacy, and played it on prboom. It did not crash prboom, but the 3D floors left holes instead. The under street sewers showed up as ditches in the street. In this wad the player could go around the ditches, but in some levels you would encounter play-stopping difficulties.

Warning, even under Legacy this wad seems incomplete in that I could not reach the exit, as I could not find the required key anywhere. I think it was designed only for deathmatch, as the name ANDYDM1 suggests.

Even with such a wad incompatibility you at least you can get some play from the wad. When you get to one of those difficulties, then use noclip to get around it, then un-noclip and continue the play. On prboom, if I remember right, that is the cheat code, idclip.
No good for deathmatch play though.

Legacy's 3D floors are also supported by GZDoom - if you can get it to run on Linux.

The wad is complete, you just haven't looked hard enough for the blue key. Can you swim?

I'd consider a map broken when - playing in other than the intended port - the player has to resort to cheat codes in order to finish the map.

Gez said:

I think you meant "GZDoom" here. Skulltag doesn't have (limited) Legacy support like GZDoom does, for license reasons.

So changing the license some months ago made Legacy maps broken?

Thank you for the blue key hint. I usually consider a map to be broken if after using "noclip" to explore, and a level editor to cheat, it does not help and I am still stuck. I may not always be right, but it is the last resort I have right now. Using a cheat-sheet or asking someone else is the point where I have given up playing it as a game. I did not find any keys in the editor map, so I guess I need to look again.

Catoptromancy said:

So changing the license some months ago made Legacy maps broken?

I believe Legacy itself has always been GPL, so Skulltag has never been able to implement whatever GZDoom has adapted from that.

Yeah, Skulltag never had Fragglescript support which is what was borrowed with special permission. (The rest of the Legacy support stuff was written from scratch as far as I know, so it might be also present in ST but without FS it won't be very useful anyway.)