Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SuperSlammer2

Mancubus chocolate doom problem

I was playing around with Chocolate doom just to see what it was like. Usually I don't like playing it (blurry graphics) but I was bored and felt nostalgic. Anyways I was playing level 7 with all the mancubus guys and since I suck at dodging there fireballs, I usually hide behind walls, but when I was COMPLETLEY behind a wall where he couldn't even see me, a fireball went RIGHT THROUGH the wall and killed me! What the heck! I have never seen this behavior in Zdoom, which is what I usually play. Is this a Chocolate doom bug?

If you'd read what Chocolate Doom intends to do you'd know the answer already. It's a Doom bug, hence something Chocolate Doom does on purpose. Practically any bug listed in the engine bugs article on the Doom wiki should be present in Chocolate Doom.

SuperSlammer2 said:

blurry graphics

That's funny. To me, 320x200 software rendering is nice and crisp with its large, discrete pixels. OpenGL ports are the ones that look blurry.

exp(x) said:

That's funny. To me, 320x200 software rendering is nice and crisp with its large, discrete pixels. OpenGL ports are the ones that look blurry.

You clearly don't understand what 'blurry' means then... :D

SuperSlammer2 said:

I was playing around with Chocolate doom just to see what it was like. Usually I don't like playing it (blurry graphics)

The correct term is "blur-o-vision" (Graf Zahl's term) :-)

but I was bored and felt nostalgic. Anyways I was playing level 7 with all the mancubus guys and since I suck at dodging there fireballs, I usually hide behind walls, but when I was COMPLETLEY behind a wall where he couldn't even see me, a fireball went RIGHT THROUGH the wall and killed me! What the heck! I have never seen this behavior in Zdoom, which is what I usually play. Is this a Chocolate doom bug?

Nope, it's a Vanilla bug (as myk has said). Chocolate Doom is just being accurate.

exp(x) said:

Learning how to disable texture filtering was a happy day for me.

Unless that's not what you were talking about.

exp(x) said:

"Blurry" is what I consider playing say.. Quake 2, or Half-Life in OpenGL (same applies to playing any doom engine with basic linear or whatever filtering).. it just blurs the shit out of everything. GL_MIPMAP_NEAREST is what I like using with those games. 320x200 software rendering.. I don't know.. blurry isn't quite the right word for that. I suppose if you have a shitty LCD it will be blurry, but otherwise.. eh. It's just big pixels to me. I'd rather play at a higher resolution.

I think the word blurry can work for 320x200. When you're moving the scan lines create a distortion. That's something I've learned to appreciate because at higher res the graphics have a uniform appearance which I feel is more monotonous. It adds a sort of vibrance to the environment while it makes you a bit myopic :p

You have strange tastes! :D

To me 320x200 is just a pixelated mess in which trying to make out any details is impossible.

I like to see my stuff clearly defined. That's why normal DVDs don't work for me anymore after investing in HD capable equipment.

But well, to each his own I guess. But I'll never understand how anyone can actually like such low resolutions.

Graf Zahl said:

You have strange tastes! :D

To me 320x200 is just a pixelated mess in which trying to make out any details is impossible.

I like to see my stuff clearly defined. That's why normal DVDs don't work for me anymore after investing in HD capable equipment.

But well, to each his own I guess. But I'll never understand how anyone can actually like such low resolutions.

I can see fairly well at 320x200, and my eyes aren't all that great. :P

rf` said:

and my eyes aren't all that great. :P

Is that even important with such low resolutions? :D