Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

GrimmSoldier said:

I played it for a while before even looking at the manual. I got most of the names right, except I lumped the "Shotgun guy/zombieman" together as simply "zombie." Other than that I was pretty dead on.

Dead on?? I find it hard to believe somebody got "Lost soul","Cacodemon" and "Baron of hell" on their own (Imp and Cyberdemon are maybe possible, and maybe Spider Mastermind).

That would be even harder in Doom 2: how could one figure "Revenant", "Pain elemental" and "Mancubus" on their own?

Zombieman- Pistol dude
Shotgun guy - Shotgun guy (obvious >.>)
Chaingun dude - Chaingun dude (obvious **)
Imp- it has a VAGINA?!?! (XFD)
Demon- bulldog
Spcetre-WHERE THE FUCK DID U COME FROM!?!?
Archvile- You little bitch.. (i hatr these thing's T.T)
Revenant- OMG THESE THING'S ARE CHASING ME! ( i love revenant's :D)
Mancubus-Fat ass (my uncle ROFL)
Aranachraton- o great it shoot's plasma
Spider Master mind- O_O@!@!!!
Cyberdome HOLY F@CK WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!

I was only about five so...

Zombieman - Army man
Demon - beast
Spectre - invisible thing
Arachnotron - spiders

...everything else was probably a three to four word description followed by "thing".

A little more up to date, about a year or two ago when i got back into it.

Cyberdemon - what is that noise...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

now i call everything by the given name.

Zombies-pistol man
shotgun man
chaingun man
Imp-Spikey thing
Demon-Pig
spectre-fuzzy pig
cacodemon-tomato
pain elemental-smiley potato
lost soul-fire head
mancubus-bug face
Baron of hell-red goat
hell knight-white goat
revenant-skeleton
arachnatron-little spider
spiderdemon-big spider

This was the SNES Doom...
shotgun guy - "zombies"
zombieman - "zombies"
imp - "zombies"
demon - "doom demons" This is the only thing i knew about doom at the time
caco - "Big-Head"
lost soul - "skulls"
hell baron - "Hell hounds"
spidermind - "Brain thingy" looks like a brain, right?
cyberdemon - "Big Hell Hound that shoots rockets"

I never had the manual (used SNES + doom @ garage sale) so i only had an idea after i beat E2M8 and E3M8. then i got it for PC...

Lets see. I'll just put the translations of the codewords we tend to use in LAN games, the Finnish originals would not make much sense to most readers.
And yeah, my perception of the mosters has certainly been contaminated by exposure to the source.

Zombiemen, shotguys - Come on, they're cannon fodder. Why would you need to name them?
HWD - Chaingunner
Imp - Imp. Actually we used the English word since it's so short.
Demon - Pig
Spectre - Shadow pig
Caco - Battle tomato or just caco
Pain Elemental - Meatball
Lost Soul - Skull
Revenant - Skeleton
Arachnotron - Spider
Hell Knight - Hell Knight (In English, again. I have no idea why.)
Baron - Baron
Mancubus - Fatso or tub of lard
Arch-Vile - Jesus (resurrects dead people:). Usually exclaimed with a really sharp Spanish J to get other players' attention since they can be so nasty in the tougher WADs.
Spider Mastermind - Big spider
Cyberdemon - Cyber

Zombieman: rifle guy (I always wondered why he held a bigass gun, but dropped pistol ammo O_o)
Seargant: shotgun guy (heh)
Imp: mutated bear thing
Demon: mutated pig thing
E1M8 Barons: the King and Queen of Demons (my first thought)

Then of course I got the Collector's Edition and found them all out.

Doom 1 only

Zombieman - pistol guy
Seargent - shotgun guy
Imp - Brown guy
Pinky/demon - bull/pig/rabies (have you seen them in nightmare?)
Spectre - invisible guy
Baron of hell - boss guy
Caco - floating head thing
Lost soul - skull
Cyberdemon - Guy who shoots dicks out
Spidermastermind - spiderboss guy

Doom 2 only
Commando - chaingun guy
Hellknight - brown boss guy
Mancubus - fat guy
Arachnotron - Plasma gun dude
Revenant - homing guy
arch vile - scary guy
pain elemental - brown floating head thing

I think that's about it.

I think my post may be resurrecting the topic a bit.

Of course in the newdoom forums I made a list of what my cousin called all the doom monsters. Now my cousin calls every demon "imp" with the exception of the mancubus and "guy who shoots dicks out".

If I actually had the full version of doom 1 back in 1993/94/95, I would have called the cyberdemon this:

"I swore this is the last boss, it is huge it must be the last boss" If I were to beat the thing, I would say, "WHAT??, I DIDN'T FINISH THE GAME YET?????"

I would then call the spider mastermind "not worthy for a last boss" or "Target to practice using bfg efficiently". Aka, the mastermind is killed with one well placed bfg shot. Kinda lame.

Imp-I just called them demons
Demon-piggy
Spectre-ghostly piggy
Baron of hell-goats
Cacodemon-Kolobok (a round living piece of dough from folktales)
Pain elemental-meatball
Some more but I forgot

I can't really remember if I had any cool nicknames beyond simple descriptions, but I have to ask:

Did you, or any of your friends who saw you playing Doom think that the ROCKET LAUNCHER SHOT FIREBALLS??

At first I wondered why it shot fireballs (I was pretty young!), then not much later saw a different angle on the sprite while running. After that, friends would watch me play and asked why a rocket launcher shot fireballs. I had to prove that they were rockets.

Nick Perrin said:
At first I wondered why it shot fireballs (I was pretty young!), then not much later saw a different angle on the sprite while running. After that, friends would watch me play and asked why a rocket launcher shot fireballs. I had to prove that they were rockets.

You guys must have needed glasses; the brown edges and tail wings of the rocket are visible enough.

myk said:

You guys must have needed glasses; the brown edges and tail wings of the rocket are visible enough.

Perhaps, but the resolution was pretty bad on the original versions of doom...

Lest I forget, I also had a used N64.

Zombies - Zombies
Imps - Zombies
Nightmare Imp - Phantoms
Demon - Demon
Spectre - Invisi-Demon
Cacodemon - Headhunters
Pain-Elementals - Big Head
Lost Soul - Skulls
Hell Knights - Weak Hellhounds
Hell Baron - Hellhounds
Mancubus - Rocket Dude
Arachnotrons - Ants
CyberDemon - Cyborg
Motherdemon - Scylla

Chainsaw - Double Saw
Shotgun - Rifle
Unmaker - Demon Gun

Doomshadow said:

When i was veyr little and played doom, i also thought that the rocket launcher shot fireballs.

In the SNES doom, there are no rotations, thats what i thought too..

I've read these forums on and off for ages, and this post is just something i have to reply to! I've been brought up with doom since a very young age, i was maybe 8-10 years old when i first played doom, and ive loved it ever since along with my brother (2 years younger) who plays multiplayer with me a lot.

After reading the name of this topic it made me remember the nicknames i first gave the monsters when i was very you. They make me chuckle today - some of them were the noises they make.

Although i find the nicknames funny, whats even worse is that ive been playing doom for up to 10 years now and i still dont know the real names for a few of the bad guys!

Anyway, enough of the babble, heres some of the nicknames i remeber.

Demon - Pinky
Mancubus - oomba-waah
Heavyweapon dude - fatty
Cyberdemon - runnnn (shouted down the corridoor between my brother and I)
Cacodemon - Hissing face

i'm sure there were more but i cant remember...

cheers for making the post, i really love it.

Frosty

When I first started playing (and a lot still), I called everything Demons, except Demons. Those I called "Pinkies".

The first time I played Doom was on the shareware version, and I didn't have the manual. I called imps "chimps" lol. I don't think I gave names to other monsters, though.

I only discovered Doom a few months ago while trying to collect every game censored by Nintendo, (weird collection, I know) and stumbled across SNES Doom on the Wikipedia list, Not to mention the drummer from Rammstein (one of my favorite bands) is nick-named Doom after the game, so I wanted to see what it was. From there, I got the PC version, and later brought the SNES and PS1 version and bam, I'm a big Doom fan.

My stepdad had a pirated set of Doom2 floppies. I'm pretty sure they were 1.666 because map02 still had the bars blocking the left shotgun guy in the first room.

Played the SNES version in 1996 (when I was 4 years old). Then I acquired the collectors edition of doom by purchasing it at a video games shop in town. I also had a copy from 1994 (I owned the CD, but I have no idea where it went unfortunately, originally belonged to my uncle and it went missing some time in 2005).

When I was 9 my friend's older brother used to have Doom 64. We would play it whenever his mom left the house so she wouldnt find out about us playing "That Disgusting Satanic Game."

Dad's friend gave me a shareware copy of Doom 1.8 in 1995, but I had to upgrade my PC to play it since it only had 2MB of RAM back then.

My dad and I played Hexen a lot when I was a little kid. I'd heard it was based off the Doom engine but never actually played Doom until I bought it on Xbox Live Arcade my junior year in high school. Then I saw a ZDaemon video and decided to go ahead and buy Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen for computer.

Read about it in a PC magazine in late 1994, and got ahold of it via hmm...a friend in Jan 1995. A year later I got Doom 2. Funny thing is that since I had never seen a 3D shooter before, from the description of the gameplay and screenshots I had seen in magazines and my general expectations out of 3D PC games. I thought it would be some sort of pre-rendered rail shooter or a voxel space game of sorts, like Beast Busters on the Neo Geo arcade.

Well, I was in for a shock when I saw that you could actually move around in a non-polygon and non-voxel environment ...