Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

OBLIGE 3.39 Released

Note: if you enable Masterminds then they will likely get stuck in a wall (due to their huge size). The code to prevent that has not been written yet.

The same for Cyberdemons needing vertical height clearance too I presume?

They won't have problems in large rooms or outdoor areas where there is a lot of vertical clearance but if they're placed up in a higher area where they just get stuck due to height clearance, they're just sitting ducks.

I found a little more weirdness with the doors in a megawad I generated recently..

Here is a descending hallway connected to a door, note the step portion in the lower left corner..the monsters seemed to have problems coming out to attack me, except ones that float.

I know I've posted about this to you in private feedback, but this is one with a keyed door instead of a normal one. The non-track part is not unpegged and moved with the open-close movements.

For people reporting bugs: It will make Andrew's life a lot easier if you let him know the seed you used to make a given map, the map number with the bug, and other settings in your Oblige 3 window. This makes it easier for him to reproduce the bug so he can fix it.

If you don't do this, the chances of him fixing your bug are greatly reduced.

- Sam

I usually do that so I will do that now..

(regarding weird step part)
MAP11, in northeastern corner of level.

(regarding funky doortrack)
MAP12, in room immediately northwest of the player starting room, which is on the east side of the map.

-- Game Settings --
seed = 77104
game = doom2
mode = sp
engine = nolimit
length = full

-- Level Architecture --
theme = mixed
size = normal
outdoors = mixed
detail = high
light = mixed

-- Playing Style --
mons = heaps
traps = more
powers = normal
health = normal
ammo = normal

-- Custom Modules --
dm_equip_doom.self = false
sky_gen_doom.self = true

I almost forgot to mention upon loading up a level in Doom Builder, I am noticing a lot or almost every two sided line has sidedefs on the reverse side that the player will never see. For example, sector 346 (main room seen right of yellow highlighted room) also has sidedef definitions for the other side (light prefab, left of highlighted line) as seen here:

Finding a way to optimize the textures being placed on 2 sided lines so it does not add sidedef information to a side that will never be seen by that side would help make the generated maps smaller in size.

I like what I've seen in the current SF.net activity :)

I found another quirk, it involves windows, that low turning stairs and lifts on MAP01 of this seed:

-- Game Settings --
seed = 80252
game = doom2
mode = sp
engine = nolimit
length = full

-- Level Architecture --
theme = mixed
size = normal
outdoors = mixed
detail = high
light = mixed

-- Playing Style --
mons = heaps
traps = more
powers = normal
health = normal
ammo = normal

-- Custom Modules --
dm_equip_doom.self = false
sky_gen_doom.self = true

Part of the window in the screenshots below, which is adjacent to a lift and the stairs, moves as a seperate lift and on the outside area shows the lift texture and lower unpegged.

I would like to contribute (As the opossite of using some random generated room) with some prefabs of my own if they are useful to you. Problem is I don't know how to save structures as prefabs, if you could be so kind to explain me, I upload some screenshots of the structures I made and see if they are useful for Oblige.

Greets. Sorry for my english.

I think the best idea is to make one giant boxed room, build the prefabs and send the file to Andrew.

For prefabs, like Chris said, just make them in a big room and send me the wad (can post or PM a link, speedyshare is good).

I haven't really decided how prefabs will be defined or used in Oblige, which is why there aren't any in 3.39 (except basic ones like a 64x64 crate). Needs more thought.

Two sided lines always put textures in the upper and lower sidedefs to prevent missing textures when a moving floor or ceiling actually moves.

I presume you find the LUA implementation of the prefabs of the previous version a bit tedious?

If you don't mind me asking, Mr. Chris, what file did you modify to get get maps to use that SLAD/Vine texture? I've been playing megawad after megawad and I know for a fact that texture is never used.

doom1.lua

I copypasted one of the existing themes, changed the wall texture to BROVINE2 and added what's needed so it could appear in maps. I _could_ send you the file I altered _minus_ all the Skulltag and custom DECORATE monsters, if you'd like.

I only added a handful of textures/flats for Oblige to use just in case we might see new versions later on if Andrew follows the "release early, release often" model. (I'm guessing it's not, tbh)

Under COMMON_COMBOS

-------------------------------------------------
--Every new TECH theme between here and the end--
-------------------------------------------------

TECH_GREEN2 =
  {
    wall  = "STARG1",
    floor = "FLOOR5_1",
    ceil  = "FLOOR4_5",

lift = "PLAT1",
    step = "STEP1",
    step_floor = "STEP1",

scenery = "tech_column",

sc_fabs = { pillar_COMPWERD=50, other=30 },
  },

TECH_GREEN3 =
  {
    wall  = "STARG3",
    floor = "FLOOR5_1",
    ceil  = "FLOOR4_5",

lift = "PLAT1",
    step = "STEP1",
    step_floor = "STEP1",

scenery = "tech_column",

sc_fabs = { pillar_COMPWERD=50, other=30 },
  },

TECH_SILVER2 =
  {
    wall  = "STARGR1",
    floor = "FLOOR0_3",
    ceil  = "FLAT3",

lift = "PLAT1",
    step = "STEP1",
    step_floor = "STEP1",

scenery = "tech_column",
  },

TECH_GROUND =
  {
    outdoor = true,

wall  = "BROWNHUG",
    floor = "FLOOR7_1",
    ceil  = "FLOOR7_1",
  },

TECH_GROUND2 =
  {
    outdoor = true,

wall  = "STONE",
    floor = "FLAT5_4",
    ceil  = "FLAT5_4",
  },

TECH_GROUND3 =
  {
    outdoor = true,

wall  = "BROWN144",
    floor = "FLOOR7_1",
    ceil  = "FLOOR7_1",
  },

TECH_GROUND4 =
  {
    outdoor = true,

wall  = "STONE2",
    floor = "FLAT1",
    ceil  = "MFLR8_1",
  },

TECH_GROUND5 =
  {
    outdoor = true,

wall  = "STONE4",
    floor = "FLAT19",
    ceil  = "FLAT5_4",
  },

TECH_GRAY2 =
  {
    wall  = "GRAY5",
    floor = "FLOOR0_3",
    ceil  = "FLAT1",

lift = "SUPPORT2",
    pic_wd = "REDWALL",

--  lift_floor = "FLOOR4_8",

scenery = { green_pillar=5, green_column=5, green_column_hrt=5 },

sc_fabs = { crate_rotnar_GRAY2=30, other=50 },
  },

TECH_GRAY3 =
  {
    wall  = "GRAY1",
    floor = "FLOOR0_3",
    ceil  = "FLAT1",

lift = "SUPPORT2",
    pic_wd = "REDWALL",

},

TECH_GRAY4 =
  {
    wall  = "GRAY4",
    floor = "FLOOR0_3",
    ceil  = "FLAT1",

lift = "SUPPORT2",
    pic_wd = "REDWALL",

},

TECH_BRONZE1 =
  {
    wall  = "BRONZE1",
    floor = "FLOOR7_1",
    ceil  = "CEIL5_2",

lift = "PLAT1",
    step = "STEP1",
    step_floor = "STEP1",

scenery = "tech_column",
  },

TECH_BRONZE2 =
  {
    wall  = "BRONZE3",
    floor = "FLOOR7_1",
    ceil  = "CEIL5_2",

lift = "PLAT1",
    step = "STEP1",
    step_floor = "STEP1",

scenery = "tech_column",
  },

TECH_DARKGREEN2 =
  {
    wall="BROVINE2",
    floor="FLOOR7_1",
    ceil="CEIL5_1",

beam_mat = "shiny",
  },

TECH_METAL0 =
  {
    wall  = "METAL2",
    floor = "MFLR8_2",
    ceil  = "CEIL5_1",

lift = "SUPPORT3",
    pic_wd = "REDWALL",

beam_mat = "shiny",

sc_fabs = { crate_rotnar_GRAY2=20, other=50 },
  },

-----------------------
--End new TECH themes--
-----------------------
Don't forget to add the TECH_wordhere under COMMON_THEMES so Oblige knows how often to choose the theme. (IE TECH_METAL0=30)

This is what I use for hallways so it's more colorful going through the hallway sections...this is still under COMMON_THEMES where you find hallway=:
    hallway =
    {
      walls =
      {
	BROWN1=50, BROWNGRN=50, GRAY1=50, STARBR2=50, STARTAN3=50, STARG3=50, STARGR1=50, BRONZE1=50, STONE2=50, STONE3=30, STARG1=50, SPACEW4=50, STONE4=35, BRICK4=30, BRICK5=30, GRAY5=50, ICKWALL1=30, ICKWALL3=30, METAL2=30, PIPEWAL2=35, SHAWN2=30, SILVER1=30, ICKWALL2=30
      },

floors =
      {
	FLAT4=50, CEIL5_1=50, FLOOR1_1=50, FLOOR3_3=50, FLAT14=50, FLOOR0_1=50, FLOOR0_3=50, FLAT5=50, SLIME15=50, SLIME16=50, FLAT3=50, FLOOR4_6=50, FLOOR4_8=50, FLOOR5_1=50
      },

ceils =
      {
        FLAT4=50, CEIL5_1=50, CEIL3_5=50, CEIL3_3=50, CEIL5_2=50, FLAT19=50, FLAT5_4=50, SLIME14=50, SLIME15=50, FLOOR7_1=35, CEIL4_1=30, CEIL4_2=30
      },
    },
And for exit rooms..
    exit =
    {
      walls =
      {
        METAL2=50, STARTAN2=50, STARG1=50, STARG3=50, ICKWALL3=50, METAL1=50, BROWNGRN=50, GRAY1=30,
        TEKWALL4=50, PIPEWAL2=50, GRAY5=50, BRONZE1=50, METAL5=50, SILVER1=50, STARGR1=50, GRAY7=30,
        TEKGREN1=50, SPACEW2=50,  STARBR2=50, BROWN96=50, ICKWALL1=50, SLADWALL=50, STARTAN3=50, BROVINE2=15
      },

floors =
      {
        FLOOR0_3=50, FLOOR5_2=50, FLOOR0_1=50, FLAT5_4=50, FLOOR4_8=50, FLOOR5_1=50, FLOOR7_1=50
      },

ceils =
      {
        TLITE6_6=50, TLITE6_5=50, FLAT17=50,
        FLOOR1_7=50, GRNLITE1=50, CEIL4_3=50
      },
    },
Andrew, feel free to use these added themes if you like.

Crap, sorry for overstretching the page with the large long code there. Mods, Feel free to fix it so it doesn't overstretch things.

The module for Skulltag Monsters is now ready for testing. It was originally created by Mr Chris, all I did was add the glue logic to make it work as a module. It includes weapons too, and the red armor.

Link (right click and save as)
http://oblige.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/oblige/trunk/mods/sktag_mons.lua

Put it in the mods/ folder in Oblige, AND ALSO delete the old st_mods.lua file.

I don't play Skulltag so I haven't tested the maps, but I've checked them in an editor to make sure the custom things are added.

EDIT: you will need the updated engines/zdoom.lua file too:
http://oblige.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/oblige/trunk/engines/zdoom.lua

For those using the doom1.LUA file with Skulltag information or have added it previously, you should at the minimum comment out all Skulltag related enemies/weapons/red armor before trying out this module.

So the textures CAN be modified? I assumed they couldn't because it looked as if the texture code was borrowed from earlier oblige, and those textures weren't being applies in the generated maps.

Are the Urban and Hell themed maps essentially supposed to look different in architectural structure? I assumed it would all be texture combos.

Something along that, yes. That's what I did with the first version (0.97 AKA Oblige v2) since I heavily edited it for texture themes, both vanilla and Skulltag flavors.

JohnnyRancid said:

Are the Urban and Hell themed maps essentially supposed to look different in architectural structure?

Yes they will be architecturally different. I don't know exactly what or how just yet.

Heheh, looks like I have to deal with three rocket launching menaces (two custom monsters + cyber) now! With full red armor, I can survive one direct hit but anything less usually leaves me heavily injured or dead. :)

If I'm going to deal with some nasties (Afrit, Cybaron, Revenant, Hell Knights) on MAP01 in adjacent rooms, at least provide the start room with green armor, plasma/railgun and about 200 cells spare ammo. :P

Maybe MAP01 on Hordes/Crazy should give the player a chance to survive all the monsters around him without getting bombarded with lead and other projectiles the moment they see/hear him.

Are those new settings temporary? I don't really find them useful at all. haha

JohnnyRancid said:

I don't really find them useful at all.

WELL TOUGH TITTIES

:-)

The_Poryman said:

im sick of tech base

Stick with Oblige 0.97 for the time being, until all the themes are implemented in v3...it could be a while. I'm dealing with it only because of the insane number of monsters it tosses at me on Hordes/Crazy difficulty on UV.

In due time will good things come for the RMG...in the meantime, it's best to find any bugs/glitches NOT found by any of us and report them. (read samiam's post about bug reporting)

JohnnyRancid: Do you have a textfile of all the words used for the level name generator? I was thinking of making a "DOOM" font version (IE same font used for id's level names) using Doomword. Feel free to PM the list to me.

The new skill setting is overpowering at times, especially when levels with "Abundant" outdoors. Armor is mandatory and at least two weapons and ample ammo is needed from a pistol start, especially when DECORATE monsters are tossed in the mix.

The 'Crazy' setting is more of a joke than a real setting.

You can use 'crazy_prob' in monster tables to control the probability of monsters in this mode.