Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

STREET FIGHTER 4

Anyone tried out the game yet? It's only out on consoles at the moment but a PC release is approaching. I've played it on occasion and it's very fun, looks spectacular and offers the same great, cutting-edge competitive game play the series is known for.

I played in a tournament for it last weekend. I lost on the first round to my friend who I invited along. Haha, boy, was I sour about that. Later I found out it was double elimination so I got another chance, and won one or two games before losing to a good player with a character I unfortunately had zero experience against.

Here's a cool video to see more of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWy9DVTQsH4

HQ is available with this video.

Of course they don't do the game's graphics any justice, so I will chuck in some nice, proper screenshots as well:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/859/859658/street-fighter-iv-20080314105804731.jpg

http://www.psu.com/media/street-fighter-iv/street-fighter-iv-ss-81.jpg

http://www.zoopy.com/data/media/29533/original.jpg

I have it for 360 and I love the game. They more or less went back to SF2 and added a few things. The Alpha games and SF3 where all right but the balance was a bit off for some of the characters.

My only gripe is that they didn't add in any one from SF3. I miss Hugo and would have loved to fight Zangief using him. I also would have loved to see Alex, Dudley and Urien in SF4.

I never got much into A2 but it seems like a very solid game. Alpha 3 and Third Strike are among my favorites, and they do have balance issues but all games do.

I agree, characters from SF3 would be very welcome, but I'm not much bothered by it. There are plenty of other characters to use, and I've personally been playing the SF3 characters for the last 5 years, so I don't mind waiting for the inevitable SF4 upgrade to see the inclusion of some SF3 characters.

How do you like the soundtrack of SF4? Some of the tunes could easily be club bangers. Like the Europe cruise ship stage. My favorite definitely must be the Brazil stage, though.

I'm loving this game already and I don't even have it yet! But only a few more months to go, and the PC release is here.

Cool to discover fellow SF fans here! I knew Leileilol was into fighting games. Is that avatar from KOF?

Don't really like it. Never been a fan of Street Fighter at all to be honest, and I really hoped that the years between Street Fighter III and now would have helped them improve it to the point where it's worthy of a purchase. Unfortunately, I found it to be much of the same, and so decided not to bother with it.

Do you happen to play games like Tekken or Soul Calibur instead?

I have no idea what improvements you wanted to see. The graphics are improved and are in my opinion some of the best graphics you can find in today's games. The game play is still head-to-head fighting, just like Doom 3 was an FPS.

New game play elements are present, like Ultra Combo and Focus Attack. If they are an improvement, is entirely subjective... maybe it just isn't your cup of tea.

Speaking of fighting games, Mortal Kombat vs DC was a pretty fun game (has anyone played it?)

I can't wait until SF4 comes out for PC. Calendar set! =)

SF4 seems pretty much like SF2 with some new characters and moves to me.

It seems very well made, though I don't really have much fun playing it. But then I've never gotten into the Street Fighter series myself even though I enjoy fighting games.

I haven't bothered playing it yet, but at least they kept the name simple this time and didn't call it 'super street fighter alpha turbo hyper fighting championship edition 42 and a half point 5' or some other such nonsense.

gemini09 said:

Do you happen to play games like Tekken or Soul Calibur instead?

I have no idea what improvements you wanted to see. The graphics are improved and are in my opinion some of the best graphics you can find in today's games. The game play is still head-to-head fighting, just like Doom 3 was an FPS.

New game play elements are present, like Ultra Combo and Focus Attack. If they are an improvement, is entirely subjective... maybe it just isn't your cup of tea.

I hate Tekken, but love Soul Calibur.

The thing is, the game is still Street Fighter II with some graphical improvements and some new gameplay features. I wanted a complete overhaul of the entire system to make it not suck. :P

I love the Tekken. I wish I had all the money I threw into Tekken 3 arcade machines. I'd have at least a grand in my pocket. Soul Calibur is all right. I have never liked weapon biased fighting games.

My all time fave fighting games are Killer Instinct 1 & 2. I even have a KI arcade machine. Paid more then I should have for it. But, to me it was worth the cash.

I really enjoy Street Fighter IV and would rank it among the top in the series. As to Soul Calibur IV I am also a fan, as I have been playing Voldo since the second game and know all of his moves :)

Oh yeah Vega ftw

Reevys said:

I hate Tekken, but love Soul Calibur.

The thing is, the game is still Street Fighter II with some graphical improvements and some new gameplay features. I wanted a complete overhaul of the entire system to make it not suck. :P

Well. That will be hard to argue...

The reason I enjoy SF is that it has different characters with different special moves that require strategy to take advantage of them versus your opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

Take Ryu VS Zangief as an example. You have primarily the fireball and dragon punch with Ryu (his hurricane kick isn't so useful against Zangief). Zangief has his spinning lariat move and his close-range grab which is very devastating.

Ryu will want to keep Zangief away with fireballs on the ground, and take advantage of the dragon punch if Zangief tries to jump. Zangief can either block or spin lariat through the fireballs, but he should not be able to jump on Ryu.

At the same time, both characters have normal moves, such as sweeps, which cause a knock-down. If Ryu knocks Zangief down, he can resume his fireball game, and force Zangief to jump. If Zangief knocks Ryu down, he can take advantage of another strength he has; the jumping fierce cross-up. This is very hard to reversal through (with a move like the dragon punch, that hits instantly and has invincibility). So, cross-up is a good option for Zangief, and while it usually will be blocked, he can combo when he lands, and interrupt the combo at anytime with an SPD (the close-range grab).

So, you cross up, combo with, say, 3 low Light punch attacks, stop hitting buttons, and input the command for SPD (circle joystick movement + punch button). The next time, you can combo with 1 low Light punch, and SPD, to surprise your opponent and get that damage and knock-down in. Or perhaps SPD directly after the cross-up without the low Light punch combo. Should they try to jump away from the SPD, you can cross-up and combo with low Light punches, then follow up with a sweep, and you're back in the process.

That's just one aspect of the game.

As a fan of DM gaming, especially 1 on 1 (especially in UT2003 :)), I came to discover the action, excitement and strategy of 1 on 1 fighting, and it's probably taken over as my favorite form of competition, and I think it's too bad too few appreciate what the game has to offer.

Satyr000, owning an arcade machine was a childhood dream of mine. Not only to play the game, but to always have a piggy bank at my disposal that was bound to always have money in it.

While I appreciate the strategy that is involved, I just despise the actual battle system. I hate fighting with fists (prefer weapons any day), you have to press up to jump, and you have to hold away from your opponent to block. These are all things I hate in fighting games.

Add in the fact I always thought Street Fighter was quite slow, clunky, and spammy as Hell, and it just ended up as something I hated.

Maybe some people like it, and I can accept that, but I personally just can't stand it.

gemini09 said:

Well. That will be hard to argue...

I've recently seen someone on another forum claim that Street Fighter is THE fighting game for the true beat em up player and that the only people who play other fighting games are those who aren't very good at fighting games.

Well. I don't see a reason to label SF as the only relevant fighting game and that players of other games couldn't be good SF players is absurd. It was the first, and to many it's the fighting games of fighting games.

Reevys said:

While I appreciate the strategy that is involved, I just despise the actual battle system. I hate fighting with fists (prefer weapons any day), you have to press up to jump, and you have to hold away from your opponent to block. These are all things I hate in fighting games.

Add in the fact I always thought Street Fighter was quite slow, clunky, and spammy as Hell, and it just ended up as something I hated.

Maybe some people like it, and I can accept that, but I personally just can't stand it.

I know it can seem spammy, and that was one thing I disliked about SFII. But the fireball spam isn't really to be cheap or annoying to your opponent, but to block the opponent to advance on the ground, and prepare an anti-air attack if they try to jump.

The rest of the issues will vanish once you properly learn the game.

Note that I'm not trying to convince you, but I did start a thread to gather interest for the game, so anything bad about the game is debatable to me :-)

I should give Soul Calibur a try, it's actually one of the most popular of fighting games...

Heh, I don't personally own an Xbox 360 or a PS3, but when I play SF4 somewhere else with some friends, I have to say that it is a real blast. However, to say that it is the only game worthy of being called a fighting game is a bit absurd in my opinion.

Street Fighter games are very popular for tournaments. I liked SNK fighters (Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade, Samurai Shodown), but apparently they have severe exploits that make them unusable for "professional" gaming. The SF games are much more heavily tweaked to prevent any one character from breaking the game (that's one of the reasons they make 500 varations - really tiny tweaks that are only really noticable for truly hardcore players involved in "serious" play).

I played it and thought it was a fun retro experience. I was glad they kept the original characters and moves and was suprised by how many of them I could remember from the last time I played SFII around 12 years ago.

I also like SNK fighters, mostly KOF. I also loved the Capcom Vs SNK games. It fun kicking the crap out a super move spamming Ryu player with Ryuji Yamazaki. Just throw there fireballs back at them, counter there super moves. Once they make a mistake or leave them selfs open shove a hyper combo down there throat. People at Job Corps use to hate me for that.

Rugal,Ryuji Yamazaki and Geese Howard are 3 of my all time fave fighting game character.

i play SF3 3rd strike and KOF98 (and some other shit when the stars are properly aligned) via 2DF/GGPO

anybody interested in repeated humiliating defeat can apply via PM / #zdoom.

as for IV, i'm waiting for the PC release, unless online play is handled through GFWL in which case i'll probably ignore it entirely

Liam said:

unless online play is handled through GFWL in which case i'll probably ignore it entirely

Expect that to happen because ALL PC games will now have GFWL.

SFIV is nothing compared to the perfection that is 3rd Strike. Why they would change such a beautiful thing is beyond me.

They take 3rd Strike Movesets but take out half the mechanics and replace them with SF2 mechanics. And it doesn't work. Why would they take out parrying? Why would they make block strings so effective, yet keep the 3rd strike combos, even though block strings completely negate them? And why is the timing so tight on them? Why is Sagat still god?

Megaz said:

They take 3rd Strike Movesets but take out half the mechanics and replace them with SF2 mechanics. And it doesn't work.

ahahah what? there are only a handful of universal system mechanics in SF2 (reversal attacks, kara cancelling, etc) and they've been used in pretty much every capcom fighting game to date, including 3rd strike. and considering how much tournament play sf4 has gotten and still held up competitively, i'd say its particular hodgepodge of systems works fine.

Why would they take out parrying?

because parry is not a universally appreciated system mechanic among fighting gamers (for valid reasons), and because adding parry to SF4 would directly contradict stated design goals

Why would they make block strings so effective, yet keep the 3rd strike combos, even though block strings completely negate them?

blockstrings and combos serve completely distinct purposes... how exactly does the effectiveness/lack thereof of one affect the other? also, this is not a shitty dial-a-combo game like MK that we're talking about here, a large % of the competitively useful combos in SF4 have been or will be discovered post-release and were not necessarily hand-planted by the developers. considering the whole 4 character overlap in the casts of SF3 and SF4, which combos exactly were kept and "negated"?

And why is the timing so tight on them?

links vs cancels man. figure it out. tight or even frame perfect link combos were in 2 and 3 too there just wasn't a robust tutorial mode to run you through them

Why is Sagat still god?

oh look someone found an online tier listing. SF4 is a young game, the console version cast is even younger, nothing about the character balance is set in stone. even if Sagat stays in the top tier noone knows for sure how strong a top tier it will be. up your game to a level of competition where it actually matters, then bitch about tiering :)

3rd strike y'all.

Liam said:

ahahah what? there are only a handful of universal system mechanics in SF2 (reversal attacks, kara cancelling, etc) and they've been used in pretty much every capcom fighting game to date, including 3rd strike. and considering how much tournament play sf4 has gotten and still held up competitively, i'd say its particular hodgepodge of systems works fine.

[/B]

Not talking about any of those. Keep reading the post instead of hitting the quote button right away and you'll see that I was talking about effectiveness of pokes, block strings, timing on combos...The fact they changed these to be more like SF2 rather than SF3 is bedazzling, being that SF3, IMO, was the pinnacle of the series.

because parry is not a universally appreciated system mechanic among fighting gamers (for valid reasons), and because adding parry to SF4 would directly contradict stated design goals

Oh, if you think we should take out mechanics that aren't universally appreciated, being that 3rd Strike never reached the fanbase SF2 did, why don't they just remake SF2 again? I don't know if you read my post or just quoted chunks at random but every point relates back to how they tried to keep it as much like SF2 as possible, and I'm saying they shouldn't have. These stated design goals are exactly what I'm complaining about

blockstrings and combos serve completely distinct purposes... how exactly does the effectiveness/lack thereof of one affect the other? also, this is not a shitty dial-a-combo game like MK that we're talking about here, a large % of the competitively useful combos in SF4 have been or will be discovered post-release and were not necessarily hand-planted by the developers. considering the whole 4 character overlap in the casts of SF3 and SF4, which combos exactly were kept and "negated"?

Either you don't know what negated means or you misread - Pokes and blockstrings in this game outprioritize just about everything ever in SFIV, and are insanely effective, thus negating the need to use SF3-style combos that don't involve pokes, when you can just crouching lp -> projectile/uppercut everything.

links vs cancels man. figure it out. tight or even frame perfect link combos were in 2 and 3 too there just wasn't a robust tutorial mode to run you through them

I would've thought by my 'them' you'd assume I was talking about combos brought over from 3rd strike, being that the previous line had '3rd strike combos' in it. Sentences I form actually relate to each other, gasp! Anywho, try and perform any combo brought over from 3rd Strike, or even Alpha, and you'd notice how much tighter the timing is.

oh look someone found an online tier listing.

What are you talking about, have you not played a sagat in SFIV, ever? His normal moves have a range of infinite, both his Tiger knee AND Tiger uppercut are armour-breaking, his projectiles have just about no recovery and he has both high offense AND high defense. If everybody who used him wasn't a wakeup-ultraing scrub, he'd be nigh unbeatable in the right hands. You don't need a tier list to work this out.

SF4 is a young game, the console version cast is even younger, nothing about the character balance is set in stone. even if Sagat stays in the top tier noone knows for sure how strong a top tier it will be. up your game to a level of competition where it actually matters, then bitch about tiering :)

Nice assumption but you've obviously never seen me play/played me lololol

Megaz said:Either you don't know what negated means or you misread - Pokes and blockstrings in this game outprioritize just about everything ever in SFIV, and are insanely effective, thus negating the need to use SF3-style combos that don't involve pokes, when you can just crouching lp -> projectile/uppercut everything.

Exactly what combos are you talking about?

Block strings cannot outprioritize anything, being that they´re blocked. What exactly are you trying to pull off, when you´re "outprioritized" and forced to blocked?

The reason you´re "outprioritized" by a poke, is probably because your opponent´s poke came out first. Occasionally, but very rarely, if two attacks meet at the same time, the attack with better priority (for example Zangief´s sweep versus Cammy´s crouching LK) will win. But more often than that, the attacks will trade because of hit boxes, and yada yada, etc.

What are you talking about, have you not played a sagat in SFIV, ever? His normal moves have a range of infinite, both his Tiger knee AND Tiger uppercut are armour-breaking, his projectiles have just about no recovery and he has both high offense AND high defense. If everybody who used him wasn't a wakeup-ultraing scrub, he'd be nigh unbeatable in the right hands. You don't need a tier list to work this out.

Yes, yes, yes. Characters are varied, and so have different properties. Some get a better deal than others. Still, you pick your character and your goal is to defeat the opponent. If he has a stronger character, you can change your character, or try to find ways to tip the scales and still win.

This is comparable to a 1 on 1 DM game where one gets lucky and is always respawning next to armor and rocket launchers. Should you try to sneak up on him and get the first shot to tip the scales before engaging in a fight? Or duel him in a showdown where you have 40% health and a few bullets versus your opponent's 100% and rocket launcher?

Anyway...

Please do debate.

leileilol said:

c viper is a bitch

Everything she does can be countered by a dragon punch. I raged quit because of that bs.