Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

☺

So who's playing Dwarf Fortress?

I'm probably a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm getting into it. I can get a fortress up and running but they all quickly end in disaster. It always starts with something stupid, like a cat that keeps dragging corpses inside. Then my farmer forgets how to gather plants. My hunter keeps leaving kills out to rot. The janitor keeps using up barrels on things that don't need to be in barrels. Then no one can brew drinks. Then everyone goes insane or dies from starvation. I guess I should concentrate on the essentials more than progress.

There are a few more things I need to figure out, like walls/floors/channels, mechanisms like wells and pumps, rerouting water/magma, siege defenses and so on. Of course, my dwarves have never been alive long enough to see a siege...

I downloaded it recently and I'm still pretty confused on how to actually get things up and running. Like I've dug out some tunnels and made a room or two, but after that I can't get anything to work.

The tutorials on Youtube by CaptDuck are really helpful. It'll help you with the basics but it kind of skims through the in-depth stuff.

The necessities when starting out are
1. Underground farmland (dig out a plot where there's grass directly above)
2. Workshops (Masonry and Carpenting are a good start)
3. Start a stockpile of doors, beds, tables, chairs and storage like barrels
4. Bedrooms and Dining rooms (designate rooms after you put a bed/table in there)
5. Make a still if you don't have a stream or pond nearby

After that's established, I'd concentrate on hunting or fishing, Jewelry/Crafts, and finally building a small army.

EDIT: Oh, my ASCII smileyface didn't work. Stupid character map.

Meh, I gave it a shot, and probably only last about 6 hours. There's just so much shit you need to do in that game to survive. That, and you have to cater to every dwarf's fucking needs, and figure out how to do the simplest required tasks.

I also had problems with cats killing shit and dragging them inside. It got so bad, my dwarves started going insane and killing themselves. Then I had all cats killed, and some stupid bitch was complaining about not having a cat for a pet. Would you rather have a fucking pet or a lung-full of miasma everytime you fucking breathe?

Fucking dwarf fortress...

I think I'd rather watch someone else play it correctly, than play myself.

EarthQuake said:

You should read the "Let's Play" Something Awful did for it, called Boatmurdered. It might help you understand the game better. The people did a good job explaining things.

caco_killer said:

You should read the "Let's Play" Something Awful did for it, called Boatmurdered. It might help you understand the game better. The people did a good job explaining things.

Thing I discovered is a lot of those weird game issues and bugs that made the story so funny have since been patched. :P

caco_killer said:

Already "watched" Boatmurdered. That's what got me into trying it. Unfortunately, they make it seem easier to play than it actually is.

caco_killer said:

No. No, they really didn't. First time I read it, I was completely lost and relied on the text alone. They assume quite a bit of knowledge and it isn't much help staring at a rectangle of ASCII jumbles that could mean literally anything.

Downloading the graphic tileset was a pretty big help, actually.

EarthQuake said:

Fucking dwarf fortress...

Losing is fun(TM)!

[16:08] <Snowden> the merchants won't leave because I killed their guys
[16:08] <Snowden> and I can't lock them in and drown them because there's shoes on the floodgate

This is a good tutorial.

I got into it a bit for a week, then grew quickly bored by it. That said, I never had problem with cats and dead vermin, always remember to have a refuse stockpile outside and if a corpse appears neglected be sure to check whether it's not forbidden.