Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Playstation Doom/ Doom 64 Sound Effects

Would anybody know where the PSX Doom/Doom 64 sound effects came from? I know Bobby Prince said where the original sound effects came from, so I'm curious about these. I've heard some of the sound effects on other T.V. shows and games before, I heard the door opening sound on Pokemon, the sound when you pick up a big powerup on Pokemon Snap and the Doomguy death scream on a game called Powerslave.

Also, what do you think of the sound effects? I personally prefer them over the originals. Some of the sounds just fit better, like the dying sound of a cacodemon and all the BFG sounds.

These may have all been from the same stock sound source, since I've heard them in many places, more often than Doom's original sounds. Also I don't think they're any better, mostly I find them to be forgettable and generic.

To me, they sound right.

But I am starting to get used to the PC versions sound effects.

They're all from the Sound Ideas Sound Generals series of commercially licensed sound effects CDs. Ditto goes for Doom and Quake also. These sounds are very widely licensed by "professional" sound designers.

They are not "public domain" sounds.

leileilol said:

They're all from the Sound Ideas Sound Generals series of commercially licensed sound effects CDs. Ditto goes for Doom and Quake also. These sounds are very widely licensed by "professional" sound designers.

They are not "public domain" sounds.

The PSX sounds are too? Wow, I always thought Aubrey Hodges made the effects himself, guess I'm wrong. Oh well, I always thought he did better with the game's music than the sound effects. Here's a question, would anyone be able to figure out what some of the sounds originally were, like with the PC Doom sounds?

I think the doom64/psx sounds go better with the new sprites and atmosphere of doom64, where I think the original PC Doom sounds go good with the colorful PC Doom. Personally I think PSX Doom is a fucked up and shitty medium between the two.

I think the sounds fit Doom 64's atmosphere. I can't really imagine the newly designed monsters making their old noises. I also think the pistol and chaingun sounds are way better.

Mattfrie1 said:

Wow, I always thought Aubrey Hodges made the effects himself, guess I'm wrong.

you thought it was him doing the cliche scream you hear in other movies, tv and games like earthworm jim? :D

leileilol said:

you thought it was him doing the cliche scream you hear in other movies, tv and games like earthworm jim? :D

Well obviously not that. :) I never figured that though, I thought they were all made in-house by Aubrey Hodges. Maybe it's because I've heard so few of these sound effects outside of Doom. Guess I'll have to keep on the lookout for these SFX around other places. Still it doesn't stop them from being awesome though. :)

I really don't know why in Doom64 they used one of the former human seeing sounds (DSPOSIT2) for the wandering demon sound as it sounds out of place compared to the other audio.

I always get a kick out of the D64 Baron and Hellknight sounds tho, they sound pretty wicked.

Ugh, the main answer to this they got it from Hollywood edge premiere edition sound effects library. How can most of the americans not know?

My name is tubers and I like to destroy conversations.

tubers this post isn't worth reporting. Only use the button for more serious things please.