Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neon

Carnage Fever (WIP, updated 04/23, revamped, easier)

These levels are designed to be very intense. Lots of action, lots of monsters to kill, no switch hunting. Each gun has infinite ammo for it's regular fire. Each gun's alt-fire is a powerful attack which will be available every 5 seconds. The custom hud will make it very obvious when your alt-fire is ready (red bars at the bottom). The levels are 3-5 minutes long each, though they may take multiple tries to complete. The goal is to stay alive until the key to the exit becomes available.

I'm planning on making this a 10 map wad. Four maps are done at this point. I may make more if there is significant interest in my project. These levels still need some touching up, I'm not finished with them yet, but they are fully playable. Feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

-------------------------------

Download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q03dq1

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/39/screenshotdoom200904142.png

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/39/screenshotdoom200904142.png

YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHFhtfrStp4

This YouTube video is outdated and no longer represents the wad in it's current state. I'm working on an up to date, higher quality video.

Credits:

Weapons from weapon resource wad (modified)
Monsters from Realm667 (modified)
Hud from WildWeasel's SlantHud (modified)

-------------------------------

PLEASE BIND AN ALT-FIRE KEY
RUN IN ZDOOM v2.2.0 OR HIGHER
CHANGE VIDEO MODE IS SKEWED
ARMOR IS STRONGER ON MEDIUM AND ESPECIALLY LOW DIFFICULTY

The 'power up' alternate fire is a fun interesting twist and as usual I like the challenge and concentration on constant-action gameplay (instead of switch hunting and such in most wads). For me I have a big black curved area on 1/3 of the screen on the left so can't see much of the screen. I'd suggest alternating the keys for alternate and main fire (as it is my normal shoot key that I use in all other wads is set to the charging alternate shot while it seems it would make more sense reversed)

Hmm, not sure what's wrong with your screen. Is your ZDoom updated to the latest version? The fire and alt-fire are backwards purposely, unfortunately if I switch them around they won't work properly. Hopefully I can find a fix for it.

EDIT: The hud gets kinda screwy in certain video modes. You might want to try a different one next time, but what you describe doesn't sound like what I've run into with off video modes.

I rather liked these maps, and the new weapon was quite a lot of fun to use. (The secondary fire mode works really well.)
However in Zdoom 2.3.1, you cannot load games saved in your wad, it just crashes.
Beats the hell out of me why it might be doing that.

As for my HUD, unlike gggmork, I had no trouble with it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I updated the wad. Should run just fine in 2.2.0 now. I altered the hud, hopefully fixing the error Mork got. I think I fixed the save error as well.

Weird, the new version (in zdoom 2.3.1) now has a big circle on the screen where its black outside the circle and normal inside the circle. Zdoom 2.2.0 still has the original problem for me (a curved black area to the left only). I wonder if anyone else has this problem. I guess if the circle was made bigger, the entire screen would fit inside it (or apparently the 2.2.0 circle should be moved to the left and up a bit).
I tried fiddling with various options in the display menu but nothing fixed it.

Tried the new version, and yes, the save/crash problem is fixed.

I also discovered I hadn't actually been using your hud. Whoops.
And yeah, the black, transparent overlay doesn't cover my whole screen. (I'm running in a widescreen res, which would be why.)

However - why is there a black overlay? Why does everything need to be darker? Or was this unintended?

Wad updated. Not sure why the overlay was there. I've gotten rid of it. Made a couple other small adjustments. Hopefully this fixes the hud problems. If not I may just have to start looking for a new hud. Anybody else having problems?

that fixed the black border problem. beat map 1. now zdoom 2.3.1 crashes whenever I try to idclev to a map other than map1.

edit: crashes when i beat map 1 (before changing to map2) as well as idclev. in both 2.2.0 and 2.3.1, all well.

When you beat level 1 did it take you to level 2 or did that crash it too?

I have no idea what would cause this, I tested it on Zdoom 2.3.1 and idclev worked fine. Weird.

The wad has been updated and is now available for download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q03dq1

Changes:

- The 2nd weapon has a different graphic.
- The starting area is fixed.
- Difficulty lowered: The rocket attack only costs 50 rockets now, so you can fire them twice as often, and save up your ammo so you can fire two.
- The fire and alt-fire modes have been swapped.
- The ammo regeneration code has been fixed.
- The wad should be compatible with subclasses (I think).
- Added a title screen which notifies the player to bind an alt-fire key.

Any feedback, especially on the difficulty level, will be greatly appreciated. :D