Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Freedoom maps with original graphics

I have searched, and I suspect the answer is going to be a big fat "not without editing the file yourself", but is it at all possible to play the Freedoom maps with the original Doom textures, sprites, weapons, sounds, enemies, etc etc?

Freedoom might well be a great project, but without the old UAC atmosphere, I really just can't get into it.

Loading one on top of the other will always result in one taking precedence over the other. The only way you can do this is by taking FreeDoom and removing everything except for the maps, and then loading it with Doom II...

Just grab XWE, open the FreeDoom wad, and highlight all lumps that don't belong to the maps. Then hit delete and close XWE. :)

Super Jamie said:

I have searched, and I suspect the answer is going to be a big fat "not without editing the file yourself", but is it at all possible to play the Freedoom maps with the original Doom textures, sprites, weapons, sounds, enemies, etc etc?

Yes.

The laziest way of doing so is to make a copy of your Doom2 iwad, turn it into a pwad, then use a wad management tool to delete all the maps from it as well as the PNAMES, TEXTURE1 and TEXTURE2 lumps.

Then load that up as a pwad alongside Freedoom, all the sounds and graphics will be replaced by the Doom originals but all the maps will still be there, along with any new graphic exclusive to Freedoom. (There are some. That's why making a copy of the Freedoom iwad and stripping it of everything but the maps, as EarthQuake said, isn't the laziest solution, as you'd need to double-check to make sure to only delete the replacements and not the additions, or you'll get missing texture errors.)

That doesn't sound too difficult. I'll give it a try. Thanks guys!

Edit: That is so much better. Apart from the odd mismatched texture, the levels seem well laid out, if not a bit sparse, and definitely harder than the originals.

Cheers for the help :)

(I didn't think this post needed to be in a new thread so I've posted it here)

I also wanted to play the Freedoom maps with the original Doom sprites, weapons, sounds, enemies, etc. but still keeping Freedoom's textures, so I've made such a WAD from Freedoom: Phase 2 (Doom II) and thought I'd share it here too...

6.59Mb zip file (includes original credits, copyright and readme files) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4rPsAFTsP0dVFrNU90X2h4UDA/view

It's been tested with GZDoom and I've encountered no issues so far. I'll be making a WAD for Phase 1 (The Ultimate Doom) sometime in the future. :)

Edited by savagegrant

4 hours ago, savagegrant said:

(I didn't think this post needed to be in a new thread so I've posted it here)

I also wanted to play the Freedoom maps with the original Doom sprites, weapons, sounds, enemies, etc. but still keeping Freedoom's textures, so I've made such a WAD from Freedoom: Phase 2 (Doom II) and thought I'd share it here too...

6.59Mb zip file (includes original credits, copyright and readme files) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4rPsAFTsP0dVFrNU90X2h4UDA/view

It's been tested with GZDoom and I've encountered no issues so far. I'll be making a WAD for Phase 1 (The Ultimate Doom) sometime in the future. :)

GODSEND

I did this for myself a while back but I need to do it again since by now my Freedoom IWADs are outdated as heck. There were countless maps missing too.

Try violence, as it can be played with freedoom and it recolors freedooms sprites too

Edit: Oops, seems like i've just offtoped. Sorry guys