Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antidote

[BETA] Complex of Uranus (help)

So if anyone remembers me, great, if nobody does, great, I don't care that much.

Anyways, I have made a level for Doom 2, and I need some help with it. There are a few things that need to addressed in my WAD, so if anyone can help me please let me know.

File (ZIP, contains a readme): .
[OLD]http://www.mediafire.com/?idzdydk4ydm
[UPDATE http://www.mediafire.com/?bumynz5inmn

This wad is meant to be on the hard side, but doable. The only hint I can give, is when you are getting the chaingun for the fist time run forwards not backwards.

Known issues (if you can fix, please do so, explain, and reupload):

1. [FIXED] The building outside right where you start looks very strange, and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried to make it many different ways, but it always looks like that in the final product. Using 3D mode in Doom Builder shows it the way its suppose to be, but in game is wrong. Is this a problem with the nodebuilder (zenode)?
2. [FIXED] During the level you will find a yellow door and a non-keyed door. In the non-keyed door, there is a room. In this room there is a door, and for some reason enemies can see through this door. I have no idea why. Is this also a problem with the nodebuilder?
3. In a secret in the later part of the level, you cannot see one half of the "things" in the outside area of a room (seen through a window). Upon going out into this outside area the "things" are seen. This is what I believe is due to the area being determined as 2 sectors (as a whole) rather than one.
4. Some enemies do not wake until I enter the sector they are in.
5. Some textures MAY be misaligned. I just go lazy.
6. In the room with the soulsphere, the slime is not damaging (got lazy).
7. There is a light in the yellow key door room that has its lights on backwards.
8. Misaligned ceiling flats (as seen in some of the over head lights scattered throughout the level... how do you realign them?

Future plans (please explain to me how, or point me in the right direction):

1. Level 2 (to finish it out)
2. Perhaps make it more prettier... if it isn't already.
3. Figure out ZDoom stuff.
4. (This is a must) Change the ingame, and postgame (score screen)level names.
5. (This is a must) Change the music.
6. Figure out how to better light some areas.

Things I'd like feedback on:

1. Ammo/Weapon placement
2. Health placement
3. Monster placement/gameplay
4. Overall difficulty (too hard/too easy, just right)
5. Difficulty ramping (too soon, too short, too long, etc).

Any help on any of these topics would be much appreciated.

Screenshots:

Chrispaks said:

'This is not a valid ZIP file'

Did you upload the right file?

Strange, it worked for me :S

Anyway...Antidote, is this going to be just plain Vanilla Doom format? Or are you planning on using something like Boom or Zdoom?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I opened it in Doombuilder and saw it had "Boom" at the top.

Anyway, the reason why the building looks like that is because you have "SKY1" as a ceiling texture (any floor or ceiling in Doom with that flat selected will render that area as a sky). To solve this, change your ceiling texture from "SKY1" to anything else.

Chrispaks said:

'This is not a valid ZIP file'

Did you upload the right file?

It works for me... what ZIP/UNZIP software are you using (I am using WinRAR).

the iron hitman said:

Anyway...Antidote, is this going to be just plain Vanilla Doom format? Or are you planning on using something like Boom or Zdoom?

Right now, its Vanilla (I think), but I plan to use some ZDoom features, such as slopes, flats as textures, particle effects, text dialog, etc.

By the way, the reason the enemies can see you through the wall is because the sector isn't closed. I would probably re-build that area, and make sure when you're building a room, make sure ALL the linedefs meet the correct vertices (especially with doors when linedefs have to be overlapped to function correctly).

Thanks hitman, I've fixed two of the problems you mentioned. I've also added a bit more detail to the map. I'll upload it when I get home, check back for an edit to this post around 2:30PM.

Thanks again, I still need the other problems addressed though.

Also, feedback please!

Antidote said:

Thanks hitman, I've fixed two of the problems you mentioned. I've also added a bit more detail to the map. I'll upload it when I get home, check back for an edit to this post around 2:30PM.

Thanks again, I still need the other problems addressed though.

Also, feedback please!

No problem, always glad to help. :)

Problem 4 may be down to many things. You may have some linedefs set to "block sound", in which case should be unchecked if you want monsters to hear you. The monsters may also not be able to see the player, as they only wake when either the player fires a weapon or is spotted by a monster.

Problem 5...well realining them won't take too long

Also, problem 6 has probably not been given the "sector effect" of "damage (which are under numbers 4, 5, 7, 11 and 16, 11 ends the level I believe)

Problem 7 I believe may be due to more unclosed sectors, not too sure though.

Problem 8 is a weird one. You cannot move ceiling/floor flats around like textures on walls, but you'll have to move them around to get them right (which may mean heavily modifying the maps structure or layout by moving sectors around, unless they're small that is or unless they're ceiling lights, which can be just moved around slightly). When moving objects around that are on floors/ceilings, it's best to turn the map grid to 8x8, as most flats are easily to manipulate and get the correct alignment on an 8x8 map grid.

By the way, I can help you quite a lot on Zdoom scripting. Just reply if you need any :)

My anus is complex.

Anyways, can we see some screenies of this project?

Butts said:

My anus is complex.

Butts winz teh Internetz.

Anyway, how is the project progressing Antidote? I'd like to see some screenshots as well (although I did play the map already).

Butts, I thought you were insulting my map, until I realized that you were stating the obvious... sigh.

Ahh yes, screens. I'll get right on that when I get home. What is the ZDoom console command to have enemies ignore you? Its been a long time since I've used it.

EDIT: I have updated it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?bumynz5inmn

New issues:

1. I fixed the first building but one side is still messed up... not sure how to fix that.

Screenshots:

Antidote said:

What is the ZDoom console command to have enemies ignore you?

notarget

The guardhouse is being messed up by a couple of unclosed sectors. Merge sectors 10 & 533 then edit linedef 251 so it's back is facing sector 65.

Not sure if its been said, i have gone through it and found 4 bugs

pretty obvious but, theres no sky :|
Second, when you start, your facing a fence, you can walk right through it
third... the third door is bugged. must of been the way you placed it

and last... when i fixed the sky, the first building (or gatehouse) of which you enter, appears to have some of the sky texture.

i get some bugs like this and can never figure them out,

to fix the sky (first area), select the outside sectors (theres 4, 2 of which are kind of part of the fence) and make the roof height 1 more than the floor, then texture the wall to whatever, and it should work. make sure that the roof of thoser sectors have sky texture. and for the fence, just make it impassible. sry for long reply.

EDIT: The gameplay was alright, and the placements too. better than what i can do >.>

GreyGhost said:

notarget

The guardhouse is being messed up by a couple of unclosed sectors. Merge sectors 10 & 533 then edit linedef 251 so it's back is facing sector 65.

I used freeze instead which works just fine.

Also I'll go ahead and join those sectors. Thanks for the help.

Cat God25 said:

<your suggestions>

EDIT: The gameplay was alright, and the placements too. better than what i can do >.>

I'm sorry but I've fixed MOST of those bugs in the new version. I posted it in a reply, but now its up on the first post. Play that one, and you'll see that most of those bugs have been fixed.

Thanks for the feedback on though.