Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How can i load custom pwads with Wii Doom?

Ok, in the current version of wii doom there is a option to select both the WAD (Doom or Doom 2) you want to use as well a option to select a Pwad to play. I assumed the pwads meant custom wads with new levels in them so i threw a couple of WADS with new levels on them into the same folder that the prdoom, doom and doom 2 WADS are in. But when i start wii doom the new WADS did not show up on the list! What am i doing wrong here?

EDIT: Here is how the loading screen looks like sort of, i made this in MS Paint:

Don't know much about wii doom, but maybe the maps you try to play with the wii are in an diiferent format. I think only wads in doom or doom2 format will work, but I'm not sure.

dutch devil said:

Don't know much about wii doom, but maybe the maps you try to play with the wii are in an diiferent format. I think only wads in doom or doom2 format will work, but I'm not sure.

Hmmmmmm, i don't think that's true, prboom supports boom maps right? Yea i think it does, that's why it called prBOOM. Also i got a level for the Ultimate Doom to work by simply opening it in Doom Builder, choosing boom mode before saving the map again but this time into the prboom wad itself that wii Doom uses. I could just do that of course but that is not really something i want to do because:

1. Wii Doom appears to support pwads, i am assuming that the reason for why the wads don't show up on the list is simply because i am doing something wrong.

2. It would be a allot of hassle to constantly having to remove the SD card from the wii, open a new wad in doom builder, loading and re-saving all of the maps all over again into the prdoom WAD before then putting the SD card back into the wii every time i want to play a WAD, when i already know that Wii Doom already supports pwads selection i don't know how to use it.

According to the documentation, PWADs are supposed to go into a pwads directory under the prboom directory.

CODOR said:

According to the documentation, PWADs are supposed to go into a pwads directory under the prboom directory.

Ah! Thanks it works fine now! Though i REALLY hope they will add support for the classic controller as trying to use the wii mote is just way to hard and troublesome, it takes all of the fun out of the game.

hardcore_gamer said:

Though i REALLY hope they will add support for the classic controller as trying to use the wii mote is just way to hard and troublesome, it takes all of the fun out of the game.

If the wii mote takes all the fun out of an game, then why the hell do you go through all this trouble to play custom wads on an wii.

Why even bother with all this when you can play the same custom wads on an pc just fine.

dutch devil said:

If the wii mote takes all the fun out of an game, then why the hell do you go through all this trouble to play custom wads on an wii.

Why even bother with all this when you can play the same custom wads on an pc just fine.

Because playing Doom on a TV screen is awesome, that's why! I can play Doom 1 and 2 on the Xbox 360 since my copy of Doom 3 collectors edition has Doom 1 and 2 on it. And i loved that, and i also loved the idea of playing custom WADS on the wii and that is why i decided to get Wii Doom.

The problem with the controls is that the Wii mote is used to aim, but unlike Wii Quake where you have freelook, Wii Doom only allows you to look left or right so the wii mote is really just used for turning and nothing else and trying to use the Wii remote to turn left or right by turning the Wii remote itself left or right while using the analog stick on the nunchuck to strife and walk all at the same time is just tedious and frustrating to say at least. Allot of Wii homebrew games have support of other things then just the wii remote, why can't Wii Doom have it as well? I hope they will add support for it later.

dutch devil said:

So playing doom on your tv with that shitty wii mote is awsome?

I said Playing Doom on a TV is awesome, i said nothing about the Wii. The reason i like Wii Doom is that it is the only Doom port i know about that allows me to run custom wads on a gaming console.

I haven't played it (yet), but judging from the description of the controls WiiDoom was meant to be played with a Wii Zapper. That would explain why moving the remote from side to side causes left or right turning movements in the game (which otherwise sounds awkward).

CODOR said:

I haven't played it (yet), but judging from the description of the controls WiiDoom was meant to be played with a Wii Zapper. That would explain why moving the remote from side to side causes left or right turning movements in the game (which otherwise sounds awkward).

No, i actually have a wii zapper, and trying to play the game with it is even harder and even more difficult. At first i thought using the zapper made sense but i don't think that's the case, also if you look at the way the buttons are mapped (A for opening a door for example) it's not hard to see that Wii doom was Clearly not made with the zapper in mind.

dutch devil said:

It's called having a small little device that you can take with you that's loaded with emulators and games that you can just connect to your TV, and it is pretty damn awesome. Also, yeah, I would probably love the Wii Doom port if it had support for the classic controller.

Ummmm, connect a laptop to the tv, connect a mouse to the laptop and you're away.
I just cannot see the sense in playing fps games without a amouse and keyboard.

Luke Annett said:

I just cannot see the sense in playing fps games without a amouse and keyboard.

That's a shame, considering that some really awesome FPS have been released for consoles. I don't know anybody who can't play a shooter on a console, it's just a matter of getting use to it.