Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

[Eternity] The Only Map30 Hack You'll Ever Need

So, for a while I was thinking about a way that the Icon of Sin could be spiced up. Last night I decided to spend about an hour and make it actually happen! The results were, I dare say, fantastic.

I've only tested it with Doom2 map30, but it should be compatible with Final Doom's IWADs and most (or any) other wads featuring standard Icon battles.

I could have probably figured out a way to do it much more cleanly, but it was a quick job and I think it works well enough.

Requires Eternity to run. Load doom2.wad, idclev30, and fasten your seatbelts.

Without further adieu,
http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/map30aaaaa.wad

XutaWoo created an optional little map to go along with it, but it's on my other computer which I'm too lazy to boot up and look for it on right now. I'll post it later if he doesn't himself.
Edit: Here it is. Optional load alongside it for increased insanity: http://sl4.poned.com/wasd/xutasmap30.wad

Great work! I'm sending off an email to John Romero right now with the wad. I'm sure he'll re-release Doom 2 with this added to map30! It'll create a whole new community!

esselfortium said:

The results were, I dare say, fantastic.

Understatement of the year :P

Replace the DECORATE lump with this:

/////////////////////
// Suicide Bomber ///
// by Tormentor667 //
/////////////////////

actor SuicideBomber 22099
{
  obituary "%o was killed by a crazy suicide bomber."
  health 55
  radius 20
  height 56
  mass 100
  speed 23
  painchance 18
  seesound "suicide/sit"
  attacksound "shotguy/death"
  painsound "shotguy/pain"
  deathsound "shotguy/death"
  MONSTER
  +FLOORCLIP
  states
  {
  Spawn:
    BMBE AB 10 A_Look
    loop
  See:
    BMBE AAABBBCCCDDD 2 A_Chase
    BMBE A 0 A_PlaySound("suicide/scream")
    loop
  Melee:
    BMBE A 0 A_Die
    stop
  Pain:
    BMBE A 3
    BMBE A 3 A_Pain
    goto See
  Death:
    BMBE E 0 bright A_Explode (50, 128)
    BMBE F 5 bright A_PlaySound ("weapons/rocklx")
    BMBE G 5 bright A_XScream
    BMBE H 5 A_NoBlocking
    BMBE IJKL 5
    BMBE M -1
    stop
  }
}

ACTOR AAAAAAAAAAEye : BossEye replaces BossEye
{
	DropItem "SuicideBomber"
	States
	{
	See:
		SSWV A 1 A_PlaySound("suicide/scream") // was originally 181, shortened for testing's sake
		SSWV A 45 A_BrainSpit("AAAAAAAAAACube")  // was originally 150, shortened for insanity's sake

}
}

ACTOR AAAAAAAAAACube : SpawnShot
{
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		BMBE A 0 A_PlaySound("suicide/scream")
		BMBE ABCD 2 A_SpawnFly("AAAAAAAAAAFog")
		Loop
	}
}

ACTOR AAAAAAAAAAFog
{
	+NOBLOCKMAP
	+NOGRAVITY
	SeeSound "suicide/sit"
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		TNT1 A 0
		Stop
	}
}
Add this very short SNDINFO lump:
//Suicidde Bomber
suicide/scream dssuscrm
suicide/sit dssusit
And it'll work with ZDoom just as well. :)

Gez, does that actually make the icon spit out bomber-looking cubes (or actual flying bombers directly), or just regular cubes that spawn bombers? This wad does the former. (I didn't make it spawn bombers directly so that they'd still fly towards the spawn spots, but just made the cubes look and sound like bombers...and in doing so turned it from a relatively clean implementation into a gross hack. Oh well!)

esselfortium said:

Gez, does that actually make the icon spit out bomber-looking cubes (or actual flying bombers directly), or just regular cubes that spawn bombers? This wad does the former. (I didn't make it spawn bombers directly so that they'd still fly towards the spawn spots, but just made the cubes look and sound like bombers...and in doing so turned it from a relatively clean implementation into a gross hack. Oh well!)

It did only the latter, but I've edited it to do both now. :)

That guy's me, it's MAP30 of 32in24-7, Icon of CTF. Basically it's MAP30 mirrored with my face on it, the flag posts being the pillar in the middle. And yes, it does have monster spawners on both sides. It's ridiculously fun for the first five or ten minutes, especially if you have like 16 players.

Hmm what gives...I loaded the wad into Eternity which I just downloaded, and I still see the original Icon of Sin doing the same original demon regurgitating thing he originally does. I'm not sure what's going on here but I loaded the wad into Eternity but...nothing. Well on the bright side Eternity has a pretty nifty wad loading interface.

Aldaraia: If you're using Eternity's in-game wad loader, it's important to note that EDF stuff (such as the EDF in this wad) is only processed when Eternity itself is launched. Try just dragging and dropping the wad onto Eternity.exe, that should work as expected then.

Make sure you're not running an ancient version of Eternity? 3.35.92 is the latest...a lot of people seem to still be on 3.33.33 or something for some reason.

edit: Whoops! I got the latest number wrong. Thanks Quasar for pointing that out :P