Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

DSSHOTGN or DSPISTOL

Which do you think is more fitting for the chaingun?

The shutgun sound makes it sound a lot better. It's more powerful, like the Wolf3D chaingun. I don't know why they didn't use that sound in the first place, considering the chaingunners and spiderdemons already use it for their chainguns.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The shutgun sound makes it sound a lot better. It's more powerful, like the Wolf3D chaingun. I don't know why they didn't use that sound in the first place, considering the chaingunners and spiderdemons already use it for their chainguns.

That seems to be the case for the chaingunner, however the spider mastermind actually uses the shotgun firing codepointer for it's attack.

just rip sounds from somewhere, pretty much every other game has a better chaingun sound.or machine gun fire from movies (as doom's weapon isn't quite a chaingun in terms of rate of fire)

I like it using the pistol sound, as it basically is a super-pistol and eats the same ammo.

As an aside, I had a non-suppressed TMP model for Counter-Strike back in the day and I used the Doom pistol sound for it, it was pretty damn good.

For the player? The pistol sound. I love the "put-put" sound.

The bullet sound doesn't work properly for the heavy weapon dude because its fire rate is 25% slower than the player's (a tic is spent checking if the target is still in sight). I remember that for a version or two the Eternity engine used the pistol sound for them and people complained for great justice.

Why the spiderdemon uses the shotgun sound is more evident: its weapon is bigger and more powerful, plus as EarthQuake points out, it uses the very same "code pointer" as the shotgun guy.

I really like DSSHOTGN. It's sweet when I'm in a yard filled with undead military that shoot to each-other like mad. It's realistic. DSPISTOL fits the weakness of its damage. It also works better on machineguns than on pistols. Shouldn't pistols do a louder boom?

As to the question, I find DSSHOTGN to sound a lot better as well. I was surprised, once I got sounds on, to hear the Spiderdemon and Chaingunner with another, more defined sound. Too bad I came to associate that crcrcrcr noise with the dark fat bearded mugs of the so-wolf3d-based-sprite chaingunners :)

I think if I make a WAD to autoload with ZDoom replacing the chaingun sound with DSSHOTGN, it might persuade me to actually use it more. :3

myk said:

The bullet sound doesn't work properly for the heavy weapon dude because its fire rate is 25% slower than the player's

I remember reading somewhere, years ago, that that's exactly the reason why id didn't use the pistol for the chaingun guy.

I think the pistol sound is way better, Especially because of the original high quality sound, when it's at a lower frequency the pistol sound kinda loses its "oomph"

Using the shotgun sound for the player chaingun doesn't feel right, the enemies are supposed to make this sound, not me. However, I wished Doom originally had a unique sound for the chaingun.

Actually I never liked the Doom chaingun that much, probably because of the sound and that it only got two firing frames - so you cannot really see which direction the barrels spin. The "Banshee cannon" in Quarantine was a much cooler Gatling-type weapon, and had a nice sound.

Which sound is better fitting? Well, depends. If you're talking about a weak chaingun, then I would choose DSPISTOL. The "putputputput" sound it makes, I think, doesn't do a chaingun justice, I think it's better for a minigun. The reason I think DSSHOTGN is better fitting is because it really shows the raw power of the chaingun. The "CHCHCHCHCHANG" sound makes you feel powerful holding it. It makes you feel like you're actually doing damage instead of making you feel as if you're just shooting a pistol rapidly.

Also, have you ever heard what a chaingun sounds like? A rapid-firing chaingun makes an extremely loud, rapid "RRRTLRTLRTLRTLRTLRTLRTLRT" sound, like the sound you hear from a huge boat engine from hell before it turns you into red dust.

Dgon92 said:
The "putputputput" sound it makes, I think, doesn't do a chaingun justice, I think it's better for a minigun.

I'm no weapon expert, but the DOOM chaingun is indeed akin to a revolving minigun or Gatling gun, while a chain gun seems to be a weapon that uses a looping chain mechanism during activation.

myk said:

I'm no weapon expert, but the DOOM chaingun is indeed akin to a revolving minigun or Gatling gun, while a chain gun seems to be a weapon that uses a looping chain mechanism during activation.

I said the same thing in the other thread but no one listened to me :(