Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

Eternal TAS demos

Here are three demos from a TAS collection I started long ago and haven't yet finished. I just resumed work, but it's taking so long I figured I'd just release them individually.

MAP01: 3:31
MAP02: 6:22
MAP03: 9:33

eterntas.zip

Nice! I couldn't have thought that a built max-demo would actually be watchable, but in the middle of the demo i simply forgot that it's built and was quite surprised later, after realising this fact.
p.s. you are 1 tic away from 8:40, why not cut it by strafing to the exit? :)

Thanks, jongo! My goal was to make it entertaining.

That was the earliest tic I could reach the exit due to the Spider Mastermind not being completely "dead", yet(still impassable). I think I could shave off the other two seconds to make it a full ten minute improvement by manipulating the rockets to do more damage(I was only aiming for 120hp or above per hit; 200hp is the max), but I'm forcing myself to be happy with it, as is. I'd rather spend the time working on something new.

Now then, I wonder what a good time would be for MAP05...:-)

Andy Olivera said:

Okay, what do you all think would be a good time on MAP04(Nucleus)? Twelve, maybe eleven minutes. Well, my target was ten. Imagine my surprise...

MAP04: 8:41

Oooo! My third favorite Eternal level! Nice.

Hope you don't mind but I used the MAP01 demo as a test of recording and uploading a video of EE to youtube. Here's the result:

The video came out alright I think, but the sound clips badly. For some reason when I record, it comes out superloud even though the volume settings are low. If anybody has a tip on how to fix this, I'd appreciate it ;)

Quasar said:

Hope you don't mind but I used the MAP01 demo as a test of recording and uploading a video of EE to youtube.

Be my guest. I'd thought about doing this myself, but there's still no easy way to do it. I wish PRBoom+ had a full-on AVI output function, or at least a way to output the audio in addition to the video...:-(

In other news, MAP05 is coming along nicely. I discovered that I obviously won't be able to double Erwin's time, due to the fact that one secret only opens after five minutes. I'm aiming for something below six, thanks primarily to a healthy supply of rockets.

Well, my goal of below six minutes on MAP05 was easy. In fact, it was so easy that I spend over a minute doing absolutely nothing...:-(

MAP05: 5:26

Edit: Guess it would help if I attached the frickin' demo, but since I can't add an attachment you'll have to settle for a link.

Wow, these are some amazing demos! It looks like you put an awful lot of time and effort into them. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Thanks, ultdoomer. And, yes, they do take quite a bit of time. Getting a laptop allowed me to get back to DooMing by utilizing my lunch breaks. Finally I get to do something useful at work.:-)

Cool demos. :)
I dunno if you intentionally didn't do these, but you can press the two skull switches while in the deep water, and you can press the switch in the final room (where the yellow door is) from the ground below.

Nice demo!

Spoiler

I like how the cyberdemon completely fails to hit you the entire time you fight him. Even with blast damage. While you're standing (mostly) still. ;)

ToD: Thanks! Actually, I didn't even think about trying the switches from below. I'm not sure how much time it would save, though. In the waterway, you still need to go through the side tunnels to kill the monsters. It would, however, allow you to wake up the Cacodemons even earlier, which couldn't hurt. The last scene could be done by running in, quickly hitting the switch, then running out to get the Yellow Key(all without killing anything). Good suggestions. I'll be sure to look for this kind of thing in the future.

TGH: Thanks! Yeah, I was hoping that battle would be impressive, given I broke just about every rule of Cyber-fighting safety.:-)

Spoiler

(close range with rockets, next to walls and, the most dangerous of all, invisible)

Wow that was amazing. Definitely have to watch the others when I get a chance...

Thank you. That was just beautiful ... again :)

This belongs easily to my five favorite demo projects of all time, and is a wonderful and prime example how TAS should be. I don't watch many demos these days, but a few weeks ago I was going to ask, if it would be continued. Now I am happy that I didn't. Thanks!

^Agreed.

Showcasing both the levels (I can see why Andy likes them!) and his skills, what more could ya want?

Brilliant.

Cool, was wondering when you'll come up with this.

Looking forward to map 13, it's just way too complex for my tastes. :))

lols, cool. I was wondering how you'd tackle the long-distance caco. Sometimes it would wake up when you press the switch to lower the slow floor/lift before killing the hell knights and barons. But, I guess it was still too far away to kill in your attempts?

Btw, the yellow key grab was Hitherto's idea, I just showed Andy Hitherto's demo.

ES: I think you actually have to ride the lift down before it can see you (unless you mean sometimes it sees you through the walls). In your 16:04 it actually wakes up as you're approaching the altar. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recreate this.

Oh ok. I just figured it woke up if you ride the lift down just enough for it see you and wake up, but not too far down that you can't go back into that room and kill the hell knights and barons. Weird.