Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Handwriting

Recommended Posts

Reading through everybody's answers was very interesting, and some posts revealed that school can be fucked up no matter where one lives.

However nobody has still reported being explicitly/forcibly taught to write top-to-bottom. I don't remember that happening to me, but everybody and the cat seems to be "aware" of this "fact", e.g. that "proper" writing is top to bottom.

And I've still to see anyone being able to offer a formal technical justification as to what advantages it would have. I can only see disadvantages on my side.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

And I've still to see anyone being able to offer a formal technical justification as to what advantages it would have. I can only see disadvantages on my side.


It probably doesn't have any major advantages, but having a standard way (top to bottom makes most sense as that's the way we read) is better than not having a standard way, at least when you're teaching people to write.
The only (unlikely) problem is if someone tries to make other people change even if they're making perfectly acceptable letters just because it's nonstandard.

Share this post


Link to post
Joe said:

The only (unlikely) problem is if someone tries to make other people change even if they're making perfectly acceptable letters just because it's nonstandard.


Yeah, that kinda sucks, although I never had problems larger than the occasional "why do you write that way?" remark. I guess it falls in those "common sense" things that either you grasp innately, or else they are way too complex to understand, let alone (re)learn.

Share this post


Link to post

I just remember writing the way I do, way back in grade school, and the teachers telling me I'm doing it all wrong. The diagrams in the writing books, showing the strokes to make, seemed very wrong.
In 4'th grade, my school forced people to use cursive (and mine was very bad), so for each class I went to (some actually involved different rooms and teachers, as most classes were in one room/teacher), I'd do my first assignment of the year in "print", to see if I can get away with it. Usually, I'd get points off for not using cursive.
Once I got into high school (9'th grade here), the "print" test passed, and abandoned my much slower cursive to revert.
There was one 8'th grade english class that let me get away with it, plus one of the derelicts would copy off my paper, so I started writing very narrow, so you couldn't see anything I wrote, unless you actually got up and hung over my shoulder. This also sped things up farther. It still sticks today, especially check writing, where I can write, for example, "One-thousand, Two-hundred, Eighty-seven" with 1/2" high letters, but only use about 1.5" of space on the line. It's a little thing I do to insure someone can't add any digits. :)
Frankly, the way it's taught is wrong. It's too clumsy, and probably the way the block letters were made in the old days of carving out the letter blocks for newsprint. (Just a guess.)

Share this post


Link to post

In my case, I'd say that I write the same way as I draw: since I always had above-average drawing skills, and I don't really consider writing any different than drawing (well, a special case at most).

This may have to do with the fact that I had to deal with multiple alphabets since childhood, and I later found that I had no problem adapting to different alphabets or using mathematical symbols, at least as long as I could draw clearly distinct symbols.

Share this post


Link to post

This doesn't really pertain to my handwriting really, but sometimes when I'm writing in a hurry (and making mistakes like this while in a hurry is extremely irritating) I'll merge two words together if the first word ends in the same letter the next one starts with.

For example, The box is a cube as thearth is round, (the earth) He's a douche thoughe does like the same music as me.(though he)

It's only when I'm in a hurry too. I hate it. Also i do the same thing Fisk does by interconnecting letters, such as "t" and "e", two t's, "m" and "n", etc. I remember having pretty lousy handwriting, but I'm pretty sure was because it was slow. I write really fast and it looks scratchy but smooth with the extra strokes from not lifting the pencil point high enough. I like it though because it looks original and I wouldn't want it to look like anything else.

I once tried to get in the habit of putting slashes in my zeroes, and crosses in my o's like Doom 3's font, but I often forget. I think it would cool if I got used to it though.

Share this post


Link to post
DuckReconMajor said:

Maes is gr33k haxx0r


Awww. Custom title? :-p

Share this post


Link to post
JohnnyRancid said:

For example, The box is a cube as thearth is round, (the earth) He's a douche thoughe does like the same music as me.(though he)

lol the Spanish language does that, too

I once tried to get in the habit of putting slashes in my zeroes, and crosses in my o's like Doom 3's font, but I often forget. I think it would cool if I got used to it though.

It annoys me when people do that. But hey, that's just me.

Maes said:

Awww. Custom title? :-p

Heh, that'd be awesome. Except now that you said something I'd bet you 20 e-peens you won't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
JohnnyRancid said:

I once tried to get in the habit of putting slashes in my zeroes, and crosses in my o's like Doom 3's font, but I often forget. I think it would cool if I got used to it though.

I taught myself to stop writing E's like a sideways pitchfork, and to start writing them like a backwards 3. Now I have to concentrate if I want to write a right-angled E.

Share this post


Link to post

Super Jamie said:
I taught myself to stop writing E's like a sideways pitchfork, and to start writing them like a backwards 3.

How l33t!

DuckReconMajor said:
lol the Spanish language does that, too

I'm guessing you mean preposition and pronoun contractions like "del" and "al". Phonetically vowel merging comes naturally to many word combinations in Spanish because unlike in English most words end in a vowel... like when you say "la almeja amarilla". You can pause to make each vowel distinct, but it's pretty pointless in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
JohnnyRancid said:

This doesn't really pertain to my handwriting really, but sometimes when I'm writing in a hurry (and making mistakes like this while in a hurry is extremely irritating) I'll merge two words together if the first word ends in the same letter the next one starts with.

For example, The box is a cube as thearth is round, (the earth) He's a douche thoughe does like the same music as me.(though he)

It's only when I'm in a hurry too. I hate it. Also i do the same thing Fisk does by interconnecting letters, such as "t" and "e", two t's, "m" and "n", etc. I remember having pretty lousy handwriting, but I'm pretty sure was because it was slow. I write really fast and it looks scratchy but smooth with the extra strokes from not lifting the pencil point high enough. I like it though because it looks original and I wouldn't want it to look like anything else.

I once tried to get in the habit of putting slashes in my zeroes, and crosses in my o's like Doom 3's font, but I often forget. I think it would cool if I got used to it though.


Funny that you mention it, but I do the same thing when writing quickly. I'll often combine words, leave out spaces and whatnot. I also tend to go from printing to almost cursive, in which I connect the letters but they're still in the print form instead of the cursive form. I also have a habit of leaving off the last letter of words, especially if they're an e, or a double consonant. Quite a few times I've looked back at things I've wrote in a hurry, and notice that I can't understand a word of it since it becomes a blur of combined words, and print mixed with cursive. That's why I hate when you have to take notes, but the person is talking far too fast.

On the subject of being ostracized for writing style, one of my old friends told me his grandmother was left handed when she was a girl. Every time she wrote left handed, her teachers would smack her hand with a ruler, and eventually she just started writing with her right hand. Amazing how backwards we were just 70 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post

Not only do I many times write from bottom to top, but I also mix cursive in with regular print lettering. What's sad is that I can't write in pure cursive anymore either.

I've also been known to include shorthand, and my own simple symbol for the & (since I can't print out the & for some odd reason). Hell if I'm taking notes I'll even use arrows and symbols, which makes my notes near incomprehensible to others. Nobody could ever cheat off MY tests :D

Share this post


Link to post
Jello said:

{SNIP}On the subject of being ostracized for writing style, one of my old friends told me his grandmother was left handed when she was a girl. Every time she wrote left handed, her teachers would smack her hand with a ruler, and eventually she just started writing with her right hand. Amazing how backwards we were just 70 years ago.

Not even 70 years ago, even 40 or 50, in fact, when I was choosing hands, I was forced to use the right, so yes, even in the early '70's! Wasn't hit, but was discouraged when I was thinking left-hand.
My Mother was slapped on the wrist for left-handed writing.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×