Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Sunder - Map20 Appears, finally.

21 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Is Sunder even good nowadays? Especially in terms of gameplay.

Make a new thread asking this question—we've been long due for our yearly Sunder debate :P

That really is a good question, last time he was on DW was October of 2015.

He studied art or something like that, so at this point he is probably begging for money under some bridge.

Can we just all agree to let this thread go pls, its a sacred place. Every time i come online i get a twang of excitement, only to have my hopes shattered, trampled on, and spat on. Im not sure how much more of this i can take :(

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

That's what you get for putting difficult platforming over inescapable pits in your maps!

"Precarious" map made for an awful first recording attempt using Russian Overkill. I would have just made something totally different or scrapped that sort of map with stupid platforming.

4 hours ago, Glaice said:

"Precarious" map made for an awful first recording attempt using Russian Overkill. I would have just made something totally different or scrapped that sort of map with stupid platforming.

watching well-practiced players destroy Precarious makes it all worthwhile - it's the sort of level which produces the best possible demos in the scene

sorry you fell off, so did I :))

On 12/20/2017 at 6:35 AM, Glaice said:

Interestingly...I remember particularly liking Precarious back when I was playing Sunder. It was so different from the other maps, the atmosphere was fantastic (which was helped by you being stranded high in the air watching the Abyss you call oh so so annoying), and the music choice was amazing (as well as it being the first time I heard that particular track).

@killer2 The problem I had moreso that RO's movement speed is increased so it makes it harder to do precision platforming.

Precarious isn't as bad as the "Super Mario Bros." section in The Furnace.

That Cyberdemon on the super-thin cross in Hag's Finger can also be pretty gnarly.

(Also: posting in a legendary thread)

On 19/12/2017 at 8:18 PM, Memfis said:

Is Sunder even good nowadays? Especially in terms of gameplay.

W-was it good even back then?

To be fair, the fights, despite being unbearably hard, are really well designed. I save-scummed my way through all of Sunder I played (I think the first 5-7 maps or so), but I enjoyed every fight. All the encounters are really well done and the gameplay flows very well (assuming you got the skills for it). The monster placement is very well done and none of the fights feel boring or bullshit-y (I mean aside from the general difficulty throughout Sunder). It's sort of like Ribbiks' style, extremely difficult but still fair if you're a doomgod, and enjoyable with a lot of saves even if you're not.

Some old videos of mine (2013) and you can see how the frustration sets in on MAP05. Oh, and an old version of Russian Overkill too.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:13 PM, Poncho said:

Does anyone know where Insane_Gazebo actually went?

Streamed doom today on Twitch

Said he was trying to get back into it. :)

22 minutes ago, Twinzen said:

Streamed doom today on Twitch @ https://www.twitch.tv/insane_gazebo. Said he was trying to get back into it. :)

I had no idea he streamed, or was still active. Needless to say I now follow his channel, and I'll be asking him some questions about Sunder if I can catch him live.....

1 hour ago, Twinzen said:

Streamed doom today on Twitch @ https://www.twitch.tv/insane_gazebo. Said he was trying to get back into it. :)

Well, there's a new Twitch channel I need to follow.

1 hour ago, tourniquet said:

Unless this is just a hoax it's probably the first meaningful bump of this thread since ages.

Not a hoax as far as I know at least. I did a Google search for his nickname several years ago, and found this Twitch user which I followed and later forgot about. Big was my surprise today when I saw him live playing Doom, so I popped into his channel and chatted for a bit. (the video is still available on the channel)

Is it possible that it is a hoax? I suppose everything is possible on the Internet, but I find it hard to believe that someone would make a Twitch user with his username, wait several years before streaming, and then lie on a direct question if he is indeed the author of Sunder.

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

jesus christ if IG actually came back and 'finished' Sunder i think DW will explode

My mind just exploded.

Does he know his project got a "posthumous" cacoward? Funny that he'd finally resurface after all these years right after that.